Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

damn this mech looks like marine from StarcraftPosted Image

#23 Bones1218

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I was reading some of your posts to this stopry, and although the story is good, the facts still dont add up even with the correction to the date. I have all the old source books and checked to make sure. The Night Gyr did NOT release until the 3055 batch of mechs, so no matter how you look at it it's impossible he had one in 3049.

#24 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

I like the lore part about the Night Gyr, some odd canon misteps though it seems.
Cant wait to pilot the Gear.

Hoping the CT will be slim enough.

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 25 May 2016 - 10:44 PM, said:

More than just a typo. Night Gyr Alpha_Galaxy_(Clan_Jade_Falcon) and the info on Von Strang's World makes 3 strikes in one piece of Lore. Lets call it 'Poetic/Artistic License' (Unless of course Canon is due to be changed [aka RetCon'd] and Mr. Bills let the cat out of the bag a bit with this bit of Lore)

If its ret-con I hope its for the better. They should retcon the worst of the Dark Age era (things I've heard loreists have described as Star Warsing the BT universe?( by Sarna,begins in 3132?) while at it.

I havent read any books of any kind in Battletech and Im not THAT lore knowing, but if Im gonna go from the very beginning to the Dark Age and read up on all of it, I dont want to waste time on things that could have been for the better.
Also make the Rasalhague Dominion (FRR merge with clan GB year 3103) a power "house" so to speak, like the FRR were about to become (IMO), just before the Clan invasion.

Edited by Tordin, 26 May 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#25 Kshat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostTordin, on 26 May 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

Also make the Rasalhague Dominion (FRR merge with clan GB year 3103) a power "house" so to speak, like the FRR were about to become (IMO), just before the Clan invasion.

No. At no point in history the FRR had been on it's way to a powerhouse until the Clans smashed it altogether.

The FRR had simply been a cushion between Steiner and Kurita, "invented" by ComStar and thriving upon the secessionist movements inherent to especially the former Kuritan worlds.
The FRR lacked the industrial power to become a powerhouse in such a short time. It reminded more or less a bunch of people connected by their unwillingness to bow before either Kurita or Steiner.

At the mech: I hope the arms will be manouverable enough to mimic almost the range of a JM/RFL/BJ. High mounted weapons are always a trait. Too sad that it seems you can't shield that massively bulging CT with your arms, seems to be a glasscannon like the Kodiak.
But that's okay, the midrange firepower you're able to bring has to be some drawbacks.

#26 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

I like the design looks like its gonna be a tough mech to fight, and jump jets will help spread damage. I dont even think I want to be cornered and have to brawl with this monster Posted Image

#27 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

I don't really see a huge resemblance to the MW4 Nova Cat at all. Basic torso silhouette is similar I guess (CT mostly) but the Nova Cat has the big shoulders as part of the arm, not the torso. And the legs are totally different. The Night Gyr looks like the Night Gyr, and those weapon mounts do look pretty high up so it could be a good one in the end. Slow but lots of weapons and should do well at being leg down, using hills for cover.

#28 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostBones1218, on 26 May 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

I was reading some of your posts to this stopry, and although the story is good, the facts still dont add up even with the correction to the date. I have all the old source books and checked to make sure. The Night Gyr did NOT release until the 3055 batch of mechs, so no matter how you look at it it's impossible he had one in 3049.

Check the Turkina Keshik TO&E in the "Jade Falcon Sourcebook." There are Turkinas, Black Lanners, Fire Falcons, and yes Night Gyrs. I read somewhere [citation needed] that this TO&E are the forces as they stood right before dropping onto Tukayyid so assuming that these 'Mechs were on the battlefield in 3052 which matches the BattleTech Master Unit List says. That said, having one Night Gyr piloted by the saKhan in the Keshik as an experimental 'Mechs in 3049 could be plausible. Whatever the case is with this story, while the Night Gyr (along with the aforementioned Black Lanner, Fire Falcon, and Turkina) are not detailed and stated out until TRO: 3058 they are reported on the battlefield as early as 3052.

#29 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 25 May 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Cant see a similarity?

google novacat mw4..

It looks like a Night Gyr. Consequently, the Nova Cat was designed from a Night Gyr, so the two designs look similar, but the Nova Cat has some different looks to it.

#30 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hitboxes look pretty good. I'm looking forward to pilot this beast.

#31 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 26 May 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

Starcraft Marine, welcome to mwo

Posted Image
http://orig03.devian...es_by_sgthk.jpg

#32 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 26 May 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

As mentioned above (and hope this makes it clear)
The Night Gyr was an early mech, first came around in 3049 (now). The Nova Cat was based of the Night Gyr and was made in 3059 (10 years later)
But in terms of 'real life' the Nova Cat was designed after the Night Gyr and to be quite honest no one cared or liked the Nova Cat until after Mechwarrior 4 (which correct me if I am wrong, I didn't memorise 100% of the mechs before MW4 and such but... wasn't the Nova Cat made up in MW4? I am aware the Mad Cat mk II was as well as the Argus and the Thanatos and the Hellhound Omnimech and so forth...)

so in short and bluntly: The Nova Cat Ripped of the Night Gyr. even to the extent that the Nova Cat had a similar formated 2 er ppc arm. For shame nova cat. For shame.

The Nova Cat was a 'mech design in the BattleTech Universe before MechWarrior 4 existed.

I do see a resemblance between the Night Gyr and Nova Cat, and that makes sense based on the lore. They both fulfill the designed role of "pocket assault 'mech" and each carry at least half of their weight in podded weapons and equipment.

The Night Gyr being available before 3050? That's news to me, and pretty interesting.

#33 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 26 May 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

Starcraft Marine, welcome to mwo

this was covered in a different forum but I can't find it

Night Gyr came out in Technical_Readout:_3058 first published in September 1995
StarCraft came out in march 1998. so if any thing Blizzard ripped off BattleTech.

I really don't see a resemblance the mechs head looks lower than the shoulders. The Marine looks higher or even to the shoulders. plus the marine is holding a gun the Night Gyr arm IS the gun.
Chest is different back is different legs..... close but different. Even the head is different.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 26 May 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#34 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

I finally caved in an bought this Mek Posted Image

#35 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 26 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

The Night Gyr being available before 3050? That's news to me, and pretty interesting.

The guys back at Catalyst games/ HBS basically said all these written stories for these recent hero mechs for MW: O is canon.
Partly because the guy writing these lore stories up is an actual established writer for BT and HBS will be making MW: O's hero 'mechs canon in their game if they are not canon already. However how they will be canonized if they do not have this lore write up will depend on the game. Check the Battletech forum on stuff like this, really interesting to see video games for once in the what... 20+ years being considered a canon source?

So not only is this hero Night Gyr a canon 'mech- it is also now canon for 3049.

edit following morning, had the brain process power to see the 20 spelling errors.

Edited by Nightshade24, 27 May 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#36 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 27 May 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

The guys back at Catalyst games/ HBS basically said all these written stories for these recent hero mechs for MW: O is canon.
Partly because the guy writing these lore stories up is an actual established writer for BT and HBS will be making MW: O's hero 'mechs canon in their game if they are not canon already. However how they will be canonized if they do not have this lore write up will depend on the game. Check the Battletech forum on stuff like this, really interesting to see video games for once in the what... 20+ years being considered a canon source?

So not only is this hero Night Gyr a canon 'mech- it is also now canon for 3049.

edit following morning, had the brain process power to see the 20 spelling errors.

I'm familiar with CGL's video game canonicity policy. I believe that while the fluff written for MWO is canon since it's the BattleTech Line Developer writing it, the hero 'mech configurations themselves are not, unless they are actually one-for-one translations from the BattleTech game, like the Bounty Hunter's Marauder, or the St. Ives Blue Vindicator.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 27 May 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#37 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:11 AM

Did any sourcebook/novel tell what happened to Timur after he was replaced by Chistu?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users