Why Is The Archer So Bad?

77 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:57 AM

Because lurms are bad. It's just that simple.

#22 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:18 AM

Archers are fine OP, but I agree with many here.. the Tempest and 5W are the best 2.. the others are "OK", but it really is best suited as a LRM mech for most chassis.

The Tempest, because it has ECM.

The 5W Because its a 70 Ton Splat Cat with a lot more Splat or if you're feeling silly.. 9 LRM 5's (Chain fired), just remember when piloting Archers to open your bunny ears.

The others aren't too bad either if you can find a build you like.

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 26 May 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

But SRMs got the Artemis Guidance System Posted Image - or in other words SRMs are supposed to have the same guidance as LRMs or otherwise LRMs have the same guidance as SRMs.

- NARC for SRMs would be a very great addition. Speaking of SRM bombs with >4 SRM racks

Artemis on a SRM launcher isn't guidance, but more like a choke on a shotgun lol. Want to tighten that spread, install Artemis.

Speaking of which, we need a LBX10+Artemis lol. Then again, I guess that is an A/C10 :D.

#24 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:29 AM

sadly i didnt buy it when i had the choice. i'll surely master em and i'll abuse the 5W with this build:

ARC-5W 9SRM4 XL340 9t

#25 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Not sure if something went wrong. Some people seem to do fine in them. It's just that the majority of players find these mechs to be mediocre.

Posted Image

Some consider them to be downright trash.

I think that many were expecting a lot more than what was delivered. Pre-order specs were interesting. Nice high 340 engine cap, equal amount of laser and missile hardpoints on two variants, high mount center laser points for TAG, and ECM heavy variant (IS players rejoice!). I think a lot of people were hoping for a better missile mech than the Catapult. What they got was something in line or worse than it (depending on who you ask).

Timing may have also played a part. The Marauder was delivered just before the Archer pre-order was announced. Those mechs had a number of decent quirks. Not any to make it OP, but enough so that some could do really well with it, while being viable for the majority of players. Also, the Warhammer release had a lot of people hoping that they would see quirks in line with it. But, then people started the PTW threads. Then the LURMAGGEDON 2 threads started about the Archer release.

What I think happened was that PGI got afraid that putting quirks in line with the Marauder and Warhammer (but specific for the Archer) would make them OP, or confirm the LURMAGGEDON 2 threads. So they held back, except for structure quirks. Take for instance the 5W. A pure missile mech, and the only missile quirk is LRM velocity 10%?

I think after the release they forgot about it and focused on selling the next mech and other projects (CW). Maybe we'll see some changes in Quirkening 4.0 in the next months. Not holding my breath.

#26 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 26 May 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

LRMs? I have two SRM based and two LV. Bugger LRMs.

#27 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

three things make 'mechs: quirks, hardpoints, hitboxes. The Archer has OK hardpoints, OK quirks, and bad hitboxes

#28 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

Whoa, whoa hold up there Alistair ol' buddy! The Archer is not bad at all, esp after the requirk. That is my primary IS pug drop, over Warhammer, Marauder or ROFL man. Was there a period where I thought it would get some lrm15 or 20 quirks to bring it more in line with flavor of the month quirks? Sure yeah, but that moment has passed. Besides I run my ecm tempest with 15s+a 5 med lasers, a tag on top and bap. Got a 340xl and is a little on the light side of ammo, but I love that mech.

You don't have any archers?

#29 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

It's simple:Maddog does LRMs better, Knights laser better and TBRs brawl better.

Also, 60-70t mechs have always been in a bit of a wierd spot. If they cant stay back to snipe, poptart or LRM, then they've always been a bit under performing.

Edited by mogs01gt, 26 May 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#30 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 26 May 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Someone sucks with LRM mechs..

No, LRM's aren't bad. The people using them are bad with LRM's. I do quite well in LRM mechs, what's bad are the people who foolishly put "ONLY" LRM's on their mechs, then die because that's all they have on it when caught at close range.

#31 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,713 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

The Archer should have been the premiere lurm boat in the game.
But the clown hats at PGI didn't even bother to consider this.
Not freaking srm or laser brawlers.
Bunch of clown hats.
Yeah I'm still damn salty over this one.
Clown hatsPosted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 26 May 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#32 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostTercieI, on 26 May 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

I don't think they are awful, just not outstanding. We have this fallacy that great and trash are the only options, when a lot of mechs are ok. I think it's ok. Just because of other focus, I only ran mine on Alpha lance weekend, but they all did quite well for me with limited skills (0 LRMs). So partly it's a victim of Internet hyperbole, IMO. Comp worthy? No. Trash? No.

To add to this, the reasons this is only meh is because it really doesn't have the best speed/firepower combination, and the builds that try to rival the Splatapult in terms of firepower have terrible spread issues unlike the Splatapult. Not having access to JJs also sucks a bit compared to some of the better heavy brawlers (Splatapult, SRMoner, Splat Timby).

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

View PostTercieI, on 26 May 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

LRMs? I have two SRM based and two LV. Bugger LRMs.

this makes me sad.... is ARCHER, it's supposed to be a LRM carrier.

#34 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

this makes me sad.... is ARCHER, it's supposed to be a LRM carrier.

No hablo lore. No hablo scrub. No hablo LRM. ;)

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 26 May 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

To add to this, the reasons this is only meh is because it really doesn't have the best speed/firepower combination, and the builds that try to rival the Splatapult in terms of firepower have terrible spread issues unlike the Splatapult. Not having access to JJs also sucks a bit compared to some of the better heavy brawlers (Splatapult, SRMoner, Splat Timby).

All true. Still, meh is right, not awful IMO.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostTercieI, on 26 May 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

No hablo lore. No hablo scrub. No hablo LRM. Posted Image

and this is one reason most of the Lore loving whales left. Generic Mech shooter where mechs are recognizable by name only.

SRM-Archers, Stump Armed Ballistic Nippled Warhammers, Medium Laser and Dakka Marauders....

Posted Image

#36 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

and this is one reason most of the Lore loving whales left. Generic Mech shooter where mechs are recognizable by name only.

SRM-Archers, Stump Armed Ballistic Nippled Warhammers, Medium Laser and Dakka Marauders....

Posted Image

I actually sympathize with your POV, but that's on PGI for failing to reflect the lore, IMO.

#37 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostTercieI, on 26 May 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

I actually sympathize with your POV, but that's on PGI for failing to reflect the lore, IMO.

sadly true.

Many things were mentioned, proposed and such in CB which would have helped preserve role functionality without actually FORCING it, but were either QQ'd down, or ignored by the PTB.

Was one thing I was hoping Quirks might help with, reward role use, but not so heavily as to punish people for not running lore correct. Problem is PGIs combat balance is so out of whack that without uberquirks, people still just go to the Meta. And even with those uberquirks, people often still find them inferior, and either "METAstasize" them or ignore them completely.

If this were titanfall or hawken, it would be no biggy. But to see a game as lore rich as MWO is based on, basically be a generic stompy Bot Shooter? Would be like a Star Wars games being just another CoD, with Star Wars skins. Posted Image

#38 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

It's an LRM mech. That says it all in MWO.

#39 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I got my Ace of Spades in an Archer. Who says they're bad?

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 26 May 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

I got my Ace of Spades in an Archer. Who says they're bad?

I got 7 kills in an Urbie and in a Vindicator. (yeah missed my ACE, but still, got it in enough other chassis, that not too broke up about it)..... who says they are bad? Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 May 2016 - 08:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users