Any Idea How The Clans Will Be Implemented?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Ok so the time as of today is Wednesday 8th of December 3048 which means we have nine months until the clans invade!

I am just wondering if it will be like signing up for a house or merc group if you wanted to play as a clanner?

Also once the invading clans have arrived in the inner sphere will this mean you are able to be in one of the non invading clans such as say the Star Adder or Hell's Horse's way off in the deep periphery?

The next question is will we be able to be involved with missions such as - The Battle of Tukayyid in 3052 all the way to say Operation Bulldog in 3059?

#2 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Poorly.

Zing.

We still don't even know if we'll be able to play as clanners, or how it'll work at all. Perhaps we can only be captured and play as bondsmen, or that's just one option. Maybe we have to restart. Maybe there's trials of position to deal with.

I sort of get the feeling they might make clans available from the start, but only able to fight one another. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Many possibilities, and no answers as of yet.

As far as specific battles, they mentioned certain planets being saved for "Events" so safe to assume we'll be fighting the battle of Tukayyid, whether or not we'll influence the outcome? Who knows.

#3 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

If it turns out that you can play as a clanner from the get-go then your idea would be best so that they can only have trials between them selves which would not involve the inner sphere at all. This would also help not having to start all over again due to playing for a house or merc group then wanting to swap to the clanners which would mean loosing all you have worked for.

I doubt that if we are able to take part in important battles or "events" that we would affect the out come because that would ruin the future "events" we are familiar with but it would be nice to take part ;)

#4 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'd rather the game stay canon only to a certain point, I'd like to be able to influence events, not just witness them. I'm not suggesting radically alter things down the road, beating the clans before Tukayyid could mean they regroup and attack sooner rather than having that long truce signed, that loss at Tukayyid was more about them being honorbound to not attack again for all those years. If we'd beat them back sooner, they'd probably have redoubled their efforts and taken us seriously and been right back at us - but with that truce, they would lose their honor and they couldn't do it.

Major events should always happen, but the universe itself can evolve separately from the current canon, while still retaining many of the same events.

Edited by Haeso, 08 December 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#5 Arnie1808

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 546 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

Yeah id agree with that.
Changing little "events" would be fine but as you say the big important ones would be better off left alone and unfold as they should.

#6 Haeso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Well, I meant it more as in, the universe should compensate so that the major events still happen regardless of the outcomes. Perhaps on an adjusted time scale. Like with the clans returning to the IS, losing before Tukyyiad would indeed see the clans having come back much sooner.

#7 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Moving this topic to Clan blab. ;)

#8 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

Well I would love to see Position test into player driven Warbands (in lack of better name)
And the Circle of Equals if anybody steals your Kill in normal Battles.
ohh and Trails of Possession, maybe not for genes, bloodnames and such, rather sensor stations and resupplybases for the actual Combat ^^

#9 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Seriously implementation of the Clans would NOT be as hard as people let on.

Let's start with the obvious problem of how they arrive.

Until they hit Trellwan, Turtle Bay and the FRR they have not yet invaded the IS. They are still moving to their staging points and getting ready for the first wave. Clan Wolf hit a few periphery outposts to gather whatever up to date Intel they can and share what they glean from Phelan Kell with the other invading clans (see their choices of targets - Trellwan Victor Steiner-Davion, Turtle Bay - Hohiro Kurita).

In the time they are staging for the invasion and getting everything ready is when Clan players can start to get involved and get ready to take on the IS. Have any prospective Clan player have to fight trials of position against selected persons. (How these are chosen could be a lottery among the dedicated Clan players and posters on here). Position gained would be simply 'mechwarrior with roles selected later based on player likes and dislikes.

Formed units would then nominate targets in the IS WITHIN A LIMITED AREA. This would simulate the attacks of the first wave and the battle to control these worlds would actually take a fair bit of time. Limit the IS defenders to Mercs and Units affiliated with the Steiner side of the FC, FRR and Draconis Combine. The big Canon units did not engage the Clans until much later in the Invasion as most of them were in garrison due to the overall low level of military activity taking place in the IS.

Once the first wave is complete tally the Clan gains, decide on a list of second wave targets and away you go again.

Maybe at the same time introduce Comstar as a viable faction for IS players and let their more advanced machines start to appear on the battlefield to enhance IS tech gains.

In the long term I think the lines will stabilise as more IS players can deploy forward and the storyline alters a little. The clans may choose to refight Tukayyid (I'd be against it) or they may go straight for Terra. Comstars plans for Operation Scorpion might leak and the Clan garrisons on worlds with Comstar forces on them might initiate a spoiling attack before they can deploy to tukayyid.

The options are limitless and could make for fantastic gameplay and even roleplaying as people bid for the right to attack worlds and IS players scramble to be first to fight the invaders from beyond!

Semyon

#10 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:54 AM

From a gameplay standpoint, I imagine they will function like the factions of the IS, but without the ability to hire mercs. All clan players will be faction only, and there won't be "border worlds" just "faction worlds".

#11 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I have a feeling that, at least when first introduced, Clans will be the PvE elements of the game. You won't be able to play as a clanner (though you can salvage their toys) but you'll be able to join battles against AI controlled clan opponents and fight with players who you'd normally be hunting. (i.e. might find a Steiner and Drac player on the same team to fight the Clans)

The Devs have said the game will be PvP only at launch, but that they were working on eventually getting some PvE in there, so this makes the most sense to me.

#12 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

View PostDihm, on 12 December 2011 - 04:54 AM, said:

From a gameplay standpoint, I imagine they will function like the factions of the IS, but without the ability to hire mercs. All clan players will be faction only, and there won't be "border worlds" just "faction worlds".

Sounds reasonable.

#13 FaustianBargain

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

View Postfeor, on 12 December 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

I have a feeling that, at least when first introduced, Clans will be the PvE elements of the game. You won't be able to play as a clanner (though you can salvage their toys) but you'll be able to join battles against AI controlled clan opponents and fight with players who you'd normally be hunting. (i.e. might find a Steiner and Drac player on the same team to fight the Clans)

The Devs have said the game will be PvP only at launch, but that they were working on eventually getting some PvE in there, so this makes the most sense to me.

This really seems like the most sensible way to release Clan related content. A big patch/expansion comes out and now there's PvE worlds where we're battling AI Mad Cats, Ullers, etc. Meanwhile a (very) limited selection of clan weapons and/or chassis become available to players in the shops with more available through salvage or conquest rewards. Then further down the line Clan centric merc groups or factions become playable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users