Opinions On Mal-Mx90 Specifically In The Solo Queue?

6 replies to this topic

#1 I 0____o I

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

---

Edited by Austin Danger Powers, 17 January 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostAustin Danger Powers, on 27 May 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Given all of the above, I feel like the way to only consistent way to play the MX90 in solo is to find a target that's already engaged and DPS the crap out of it. In my experience I find that's not always going to be possible because solo matches often end up as stalemate poke and attrition wars, which I don't think the MX90 excels at. I agree when you find these situations, the MX90 is pretty sweet. But is this the only way to play it?

Experience tend to lessen those weaknesses you have listed. Drive the mech for at least 50 matches.

#3 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

I feel like you've already addressed both the problems and the solutions. In a lot of ways, while strong, it ends up being a fire support mech with big armour.
You still can't move and reposition like some heavies, but it does mean you can stand strong in a firing line.

So, you don't exactly need to wait to ninja strike someone engaged with another of your allies, but you do need to be shoulder to shoulder with the big guns.

In my mind, it kind of ends up a bit like a Dire, but with its own unique things to offer.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostAustin Danger Powers, on 27 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

I have more than 50 matches on it. Maybe you can be more specific about what I could be doing wrong. Do you play it as a poke machine? Or do you generally engage mechs that are already distracted by some other enemy?

With Mauler, Kodiak, and Direwolf same rule applies--Be the damage dealer, not the damage taker. Let others with durability quirks engage first. Your job is to walk slightly behind them and focus down threats. Even if you do not kill the enemy right away, you will most likely cause him to retreat, which is also good. You don't have to stay 600+ meters away.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 May 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

I found it to be a bit too slow in PUG games. NASCARing of Assaults has always been an issue, and a Mauler with huge dakka and enough ammo to sustain a match cant also carry a big enough engine to keep up and manoeuvre.

It also can't trade effectively with the high alpha builds which are in vogue.

I've found it works best at 200-400m range, when your target can't peek, poke and retreat, and when you have plenty of allies with you to divide the incoming fire.

Edited by Appogee, 27 May 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

My go to loadout for most Maulers in pug deathmatch has been quad UAC5's. While it still has the durability and speed stuff going on, it moves the DPS slider a little over towards burst what with the double clicks, which can negate some of the 1v1 etc issues.

Going pure DPS is tricky in pug land, especially without some speed for position adjustments etc. No amount of carry can save some of the teams you will see, but pure DPS tends to rely even a bit more on the teams actions. Can lead to some frustrating matches. This afternoon for instance as I was leveling some KDK's.... yeesh.... I will spare the details.

Pure DPS dakka is very rewarding and fun. In pug land though, you gotta take your lumps when team nose-picker drafts you for a match or two. Not really any way around it, part of the package.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostAustin Danger Powers, on 27 May 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

From the responses so far, it sounds like I should play it like a dakka Dire.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said the bit about having to be in the back. The MX90 comes into its own at LONG range. But in order to set yourself up for that, you set yourself up to be left behind. Its not bad up close though, so you have some flexibility and can move with your team, but if someone tries to use their range against YOU, then you have a nasty response to them. The MX90 is definitely a capable yolo queue mech, but like any slow mech, there will always be those matches where you just get screwed, start to type something nasty to your team, then delete it and sigh and move on to the next match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users