• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 May 2016 - 03:56 AM

@OP

I an not sure what your rambling rant is for? It kind of sounds like an impassioned plea for players to leave MWO? Its not really a big secret that MWO doesn't have a massive player pop- the simple fact that they have such flexible tier matchmaking is proof of that.

I'm just not sure what your point is.

#122 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

What's funny? Even if the game was actually, really dying this time? And I mean in an immediate, terminal cancer sort of sense as opposed to the "We're all going to die eventually" sense. Even if that where the case, I'd still play in the tournament (If I where doing that in the first place), I'd still buy mech packs, and I'd still play. Why not? Mech pack purchases aren't an investment in the games future: no games have a future, they'll all end sometime. But I'm buying to have fun with them now, and it's still cheaper than going to a movie. Play in the tourney or not because it's something fun you want to do.

*Shrugs*

#123 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 May 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

uh huh. Those developers are just itching to make a MechWarrior game. Lining up.

You know what's really, darkly hilarious? If PGI were to fail, go under, and against all odds some studio actually licences the IP from Microsoft, it'd almost certainly be to make a MechWarrior game even worse than MWO, one faster and Hawkenesque, with even more exploitive monetisation schemes because that's what's in vogue right now.

What is definitely not going to happen is someone making a more niche title, which is what people (myself included!) want here.

They definitely won't be lining up to make "MWO without 3pv and ghost heat". They'd say, "MWO failed, so obviously that's not the right path, let's appeal to the masses instead."

I agree with you. But, I'm afraid my logic is the only one that possibly explains why those who've abandoned ship keep on attacking mwo.

#124 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostDaZur, on 29 May 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Why do folks put so much effort into trying to sheep people into jumping on the hate PGI / MWO bandwagon?

They are called parrots for a reason

I have no clue.. other than it is what all the cool kids are doing.. If i don't like it, or i hate it, or i think this... then you all should too. For some reason people get their rocks off watching something end that they don't think should be around..

If these people put half as much effort into being positive and just talking about things they like, the gaming world would be far better off..

I learned to not listen to the hate rhetoric years ago, after buying a bunch of games that had endless bad hype by players and found myself really enjoying them... Mass effect III and dragon age inquisition are two that pop right to mind, but i could list tons of others.

The only negative things i really listen to these days, are things like, styles of games that might not be for you, or hard-ware issues or other tech issues. The DLC hate, and tons of other things like,, its not even worth 5 bucks are things that immediately get me to stop reading.. When a 2 hour movie costs me 20 bucks and i can enjoy that, game price hate is about as lame as you can get for a reason, and this coming from a person that spends maybe 100 bucks total a year on games..

OP,,, I could care less if DOTA has 20m players,, to me the game is a total waste of time.. Just like most other very popular things.. I put it right up there with Real house wives and Kardashians..

I look at MWO like Firefly.. People don't know a good thing till it's gone..

I wont even bother with the whole peak time thing.. This game is nitch and tons of its players only play once a week, or so.. or a few hours in the evening. It's an older crowd,. So while maybe 5-7k or 10k on an event weeked might be peak, there could be 100k people that play semi regularly and buy things.. Just look at the Tournament pack and how many people bought that, and it was a very small portion of the active players..

the funny thing is, people don't even talk about the failed mech warrior game that was also an IGP thing... its a good thing PGI got away from them when they did, because half of this games problems was that management, i think they have a bang up job turning the corner..

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 May 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#125 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostJayceWolf, on 29 May 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I fixed the fonts size for those who gripes about it.

If you don't want to read it, then don't.

If you don't have any input other than "I can't read different font/sizes" then just don't reply in general.

Thanks!

Honest question: why post in a large non-standard font in the first place? I legitimately am curious why some people do it, it takes extra work.

#126 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:42 AM

I think OP (or all other authors of these kind of posts) don´t want to spread hate or distress. I truly believe they want to make MWO a better place (whatever “better” is)
They are mortified that the outside world does not see their love and fascination for the game and feel the urge “to do something”. What they don´t comprehend is that no matter what PGI/the com/the critics or the Steam users do or don´t MWO will always be a niche game.
If there would be a big market for alternative games then there would be other games than CS/Shooters, Dota/LOL, SC2 having huge success, which are basically the eternal repetition of their own created genre. But there are a lot of well programmed games not having success making a case against the argument MWO ist just not programmed good enough to have the big breakthrough.*

* Compare it to music. There are so many great artists and only a fraction has wordwide success. All the others have nothing but a diehard fanbase coming to every small bar concert, buying the sh****y new release so that their favourite band can go on.

Edited by Flitzomat, 30 May 2016 - 06:46 AM.

#127 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:46 AM

"I have scores and scores of people who agree with me! They just aren't posting in here but they read the thread yes siree bob! You all just HAVE to believe me. This game sucks and so do ya'll!!! I don't understand why people insult me?! I only spend my entire posting in this thread talking down to other posters in a condescending tone because you all ARE NOT as wise and sage like as I am! I think I am articulate, special, and need to post my own words in a big font, so I can masturbate to them, after I have posted them! But I am humble and wise and you should all listen to me!"

That's what I got out of OP's last post lol

#128 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:03 AM

2012 what is it about that year?
Anyone else notice this?
Maybe the OP is really disappointed he's not bobbing on a raft eating gull eye stew.
Sorry the world did not come to an end op you still have to play MWO.
Or.......just leave.
Posted Image

#129 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostDaZur, on 29 May 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Like I stated earlier, there are few players here who will gush over PGI or MWO. Reality is we all have beefs, be they big or small. That is why we stay and support the game... We still find redeemable aspects that we enjoy.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you by quoting you again, but I needed to correct this statement. It should have read;

Like I stated earlier, there are few players LEFT here who will gush over PGI or MWO. Reality is we all have beefs, be they big or small. That is why we stay and support the game... We still find redeemable aspects that we enjoy.

Go back as little over a year and there was no shortage of over-eager cheerleaders running around these forums.

As much as you decry the regular criticism of some, like me, I found it equally annoying reading the bleating of the cheerleaders back in the day. Thank God it's toned down just as much as the criticism.

Both have decreased, not because of improvement, but because of boredom and ennui.

#130 Dudeman3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostMadcatX, on 29 May 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Even I'm surprised STO is still kicking around.

I'd say I've got maybe 100 bucks into this game, not a whale by any stretch. I've played a lot of F2P games that eventually shut down their servers. You'll know a game is nearing the end of it's life cycle without having to look at external meta-data as proof of this. Now that we have level designers hopping onto the forums requesting feedback, a large re-scale and quirk pass and a tournament coming up, these are not signs of a "dying" game.

I would like to agree with you, but AOEO did the same things, and they did die.

#131 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostTarogato, on 30 May 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Honest question: why post in a large non-standard font in the first place? I legitimately am curious why some people do it, it takes extra work.

Honest question: why ask a question that's already been asked in the thread many times? I legitimately am curious why some people ask obvious questions that 30 seconds of research can answer.

#132 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 30 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Honest question: why ask a question that's already been asked in the thread many times? I legitimately am curious why some people ask obvious questions that 30 seconds of research can answer.

Thread is seven bloody pages, that's too much browsing to find the answer to a simple question. I notice you didn't help point me to where I might have missed it. =P

#133 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

It's on the first page.

LAZY

#134 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostJayceWolf, on 29 May 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

I hate to do this but I am going to break my own rule and post one last reply..... and this is due to the amount of PMs I got from people telling me how my original post predicted almost a 100% on the responses that I would get from the cult-members.

1. Cult-members will freak the eff out ... Check

<snip>

The only cultist behavior in this thread is the doom and gloomers in it especially you since you seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is a cultist. Hint - that's the first sign of being in a cult.

And if you want your thread locked, you don't post a comment in your thread asking for it. You report your own post so it gets flagged by the admins so they can lock it.

#135 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 30 May 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

The only cultist behavior in this thread is the doom and gloomers in it especially you since you seem to think anyone who disagrees with you is a cultist. Hint - that's the first sign of being in a cult.

And if you want your thread locked, you don't post a comment in your thread asking for it. You report your own post so it gets flagged by the admins so they can lock it.

Reported. Egoslayer OP. pgiplznerf

#136 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

I do not use the Steam client to play MWO.

#137 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

My own guesstimates are around about the 5k mark going up to around 8 k at weekends, and 15k when there is an event.

FW phase3 was played by close to 18 thousand people, yes I added them all up, off the leader boards, doesn't mean that they are playing now, but its a hard figure.

You could if you fancy doing it, calculate by the additional pot, how many people have paid into it the E-sport fiasco, for a final number of supporters, I refuse to believe more than 66% of the population bought in to it, I suspect the number was around half, I certainly didn't.

Not that I really care any more, it stays it stays it goes it goes.

Edited by Cathy, 30 May 2016 - 11:13 AM.

#138 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Is the "Big things in July" still relevant?

I think the reason so many stick around is because of expected additions to the game.

#139 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 29 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who are you again? You have only eight posts in four years. Clearly a subject matter expert.

As if being active in forum makes you an expert.

#140 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostTarogato, on 30 May 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Presumably because they feel people will pay more attention to their post?

I don't know. On my phone, that meant his posts had ~4 words per line despite being set to small fonts, which was so awful to read with constant scrolling I actually copied and pasted one of his posts into my notepad to read it in a normal font. I assume manually chosen fonts just don't get scaled properly by Chrome for Android vs. the default font or something, or he just chose an absurdly large font... Regardless, it was terrible.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users