Using Uav And Air Strike

9 replies to this topic

#1 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:53 PM

I got some free UAV and Air Strike modules from recent challenges, and tried to use them for the first time just now, but it didn't go super well. I am looking for advice here.

I thought they would be "throwable", like you would identify the target area to be hit. But it doesn't seem like that is the case.

UAV basically went to the area where I was standing. Which I guess is OK, because it can still see for a number of meters in any direction.

But Air Strike didn't seem to work at all. I pressed the key and it said "Air Strike Activated", but there was no smoke anywhere and I didn't see an air strike. I certainly hope the Air Strike wouldn't be targeted at the square I was standing on, so how am I supposed to aim it? Where did my Air Strike go??

Edited by northpow, 29 May 2016 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Strikes are aimed using the cross hair, you point the crosshair at a point in space, press the key and you should see the smoke. There is an issue with invisible corners though; sometimes you can see through geometry, but the strike will still catch on some nook. So, make sure you really have a clear line of sight to the spot you want to target (which is also clear of team mates, for example).

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

Airstrikes and Artillery can be used in the training grounds without Actually spending the consumable.

In brief, The pixel you are targeting gets the smoke and the arty or strike, so if you miss a mech, it could land waaay off in the distance. for easy of use I'd suggest starting by aiming at your foes feet. Also, if a friendly has launched a strike, your team has a cooldown before someone else can.

Airstrikes, Great for hitting behind cover.

Arty, more area denial or for punishing a close knit battle ball.

UAVs: Natures Spotters!
Best used to alert your team about an unexpected push, or a light pack. Or if your play a forward observer (Read brawler or just impatient) then you can use it to light up the enemy.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 29 May 2016 - 11:10 PM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

strikes work as follows
you drop smoke where the arm cross hair (the O) is pointing, it is better to aim at the ground not a Mech because if the strike registers as going between the Mechs arm and torso it could drop a kilometre or more behind what you thought you were aiming at.
as the shells/bombs fall from above if you drop smoke under a platform or in a tunnel the shells will hit the ground above the smoke

Air Strike calls in a bomber from behind you and it drops a line of bombs starting at the smoke

Artillery Strike tells an off map artillery piece to fire a volley at the smoke so the shells hit around the smoke

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

UAV: Launches 250 to 300 meters above where you are standing at the time you launch it -- this means if you jump even higher it will launch and hover that much higher.

Behaves akin to a 'Player' in much the same way that a Turret does. It can highlight what it sees; you can select these to do your own targeting. It doesn't count as a full target, unlike a turret, and can't get you specific data without those using the UAV choosing targets to get more data on. However, unlike a turret because the UAV always faces 'down', it won't lose targets by 'focusing' one.

The fact that the game treats the UAV as a temporary player has another advantage and some disadvantages. The advantage is that despite the usual 'limits' of the UAV area, it has a default 'scanning' range of 800 meters... it just can't see 800 meters when it is usually launched 250-300 meters + your mech's height above the ground with an FOV of 75. The higher you can get it, the more 'range' it will have.
Disadvantages are 1) that if an ECM can physically get within 90 vertical meters of your UAV... it is worthless until that ECM leaves its vicinity. The UAV also 2) cannot see through walls, ceilings/floors/roofs just like a player can't.

----

Airstrike. Has unlimited range. Won't be physically visible unless within 1,800 meters on max settings.
Shoots where your "o" crosshair is (not your "+" crosshair). Red smoke indicates it's been used.
Artillery is the same way.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostLeone, on 29 May 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Airstrikes and Artillery can be used in the training grounds without Actually spending the consumable.

Wow, thank you. I've been trying to add it to a hard to reach button on my mouse and now I can see it work (Airstrikes that is) Using a button where I have to take my finger off the movement controls leaves me hanging there too long.

IS pilots use them a LOT. And at single targets. If I use one it is at a mass of them like when they are coming in a gate or back on defense. I like to use them on my first Mech thus I'm semi-sure I will get kill assist.

#7 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

Thanks everybody - lots of great tips here. I probably didn't have my crosshairs in a good direction when I tried it before.

@Roland I was able to get Air Strikes working now that I know they are targeted w/ the Cross Hair. Thanks!

@Koniving that is a great tip about jump jetting first, I will have to try that.

@Leone wins the top prize for the tip about testing grounds. I was able to test a lot for free, big help!!

#8 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

One further question since we have some experts here...

How can I decide between Air Strike and Artillery? They seem nearly the same. Leone said:

Airstrikes, Great for hitting behind cover.

Arty, more area denial or for punishing a close knit battle ball.

But why is that? Is the only difference that airstrike hits are in a line while artillery are in a circle? That seems like a minor difference but I'm sure I'm missing something.

Edited by northpow, 02 June 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#9 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Arty strikes hit in a circle around the point where the smoke is.

Air strikes hit in a straight line from the point where the smoke is. The direction of the air strike aligned based on where you were when you dropped the strikes to the smoke.

Air strikes are preferred by the higher tier players because it extends beyond the smoke by a fair bit compared to the radius of an arty strike. However, due to having to align the direction of the air strike, it is a little trickier to use for best effect.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:01 PM

One way to check where the strike is going to stop is look at the range numbers next to the crosshair. If it has the infinity symbol, you're wasting 40K c-bills. If it says 15m, that means there's something in the way of your arms that you can't see. If you have time, press R on a target, then position your reticle close to him. The numbers should be very similar. Then drop your strike. As a side bonus, you can tell if you hit something when the the reticle flashes red.

Edited by mailin, 02 June 2016 - 07:03 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users