Best Guys On Losing Team

14 replies to this topic

#1 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

I am often one of the high scoring pilots when my team looses.
but If your score is very high your PSR can still go up... fine
I think it has to be over 300 or so?
But often if it was a steamroll or close to it there was just not enough time to get the better score.
so...
Why not score on a curve?
Make it so the top three players go up, the next three stay even and the rest go down?

Wouldn't that be more fair than some arbitrary point number?

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

In some roflstomps, the whole team scores less than 300 dmg and most can even be below 200 dmg. That is always the result of terrible coordination and, as a rule of thumb, everyone should feel bad afterwards.

The best way to reward good teamplay is to reward victories and teamwork. Not individual accomplishments. A lot of people who do 500+ damage in the solo queue are terrible teammates who thought about nothing except their own individual score.

Not really a big deal though. Everyone ends up as Tier 1 Max eventually.

#3 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, going up into the top Tiers is like growing up.

It seems awesome till you get there, then you realize it isn't how awesome you had thought it would be.

In many ways, the current system is doing you a favor lol.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 June 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#4 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

In some roflstomps, the whole team scores less than 300 dmg and most can even be below 200 dmg. That is always the result of terrible coordination and, as a rule of thumb, everyone should feel bad afterwards.

The best way to reward good teamplay is to reward victories and teamwork. Not individual accomplishments. A lot of people who do 500+ damage in the solo queue are terrible teammates who thought about nothing except their own individual score.

Not really a big deal though. Everyone ends up as Tier 1 Max eventually.

Yes I agree that team work is #1
but it is an assumption that the top players were just out for themselves.
and we know what assumptions make of us.

#5 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostFrontGuard, on 09 June 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

I think it has to be over 300 or so?

A match score of 401+ will increase your PSR in a loss. A match score of 251-400 will result in an "=" PSR (meaning no change).

Why not score on a curve?

Because bad is bad. Why should your PSR increase just because you were the least bad person on your team?

#6 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostFrontGuard, on 09 June 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yes I agree that team work is #1
but it is an assumption that the top players were just out for themselves.
and we know what assumptions make of us.

It's not an assumption, it's an observation. When you see assault mechs hide in cover the entire match while their team is dying, and then they rush out and grab a few kills at the end to score 400 damage in their Dire Wolf, then they were being selfish. Especially at Tier 1 / Tier 2, where people should know better.

Over thousands of matches played, you will see selfish players from time to time. Their behavior should not be rewarded. And if they were accidentally selfish due to lack of social skills and knowledge about teamwork, then they shouldn't be rewarded either.

#7 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

PSR is next to meaningless. If you're a mediocre pilot and play long enough you'll eventually be Tier 1.

#8 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 June 2016 - 09:56 AM, said:

It's not an assumption, it's an observation. When you see assault mechs hide in cover the entire match while their team is dying, and then they rush out and grab a few kills at the end to score 400 damage in their Dire Wolf, then they were being selfish. Especially at Tier 1 / Tier 2, where people should know better.

Over thousands of matches played, you will see selfish players from time to time. Their behavior should not be rewarded. And if they were accidentally selfish due to lack of social skills and knowledge about teamwork, then they shouldn't be rewarded either.

True... then they need a better way of detecting such behavior.
I'm a team player, I often try and lead a push by example and it often works.
In tier 3 some teams just don't respond to anything weather by example or by Com request.
Just trying to think of a way to make it more fair when the team you are on is no team at all.
... i know it will end but i have been on a loosing team streak... it happens.

#9 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

Yes, let's just make it easier for me to eventually get to tier 1 than it already is. Honestly, this whole tier system is a joke. The whole thing needs a fundamental rework.

#10 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

teamwork in the solo queue?????? you are expecting alot.

Dropped in a match on Alpine the other night and was told to climb the mountain. You know, that strategy that everyone complains about being so boring and one dimensional, but no one wants to deviate from..... So I didn't follow and flanked instead. Died early and was mocked the rest of the match.

#11 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Because being the best of the bads does not mean you should get +PSR.

Be thankful that you got out of a horrible team quickly so you can play again somewhere else, hoping you don't end up harvesting another crop of potatoes.

#12 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

Tier means nothing at all. I see upper tier players who even make glaring basic mistakes. Sure, we all are human and can have a weak moment...but somtimes I see whole groups behave like T6 (yup, I discovered that secret tier).

#13 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

I HATE being the top scoring guy on my losing team, ESPECIALLY considering its not like I do much. I just basically pull on line and fire till my mech stops wiggling.....its actually sad to see 970 damage but 0 kills, then review the damage, where I strip 4 mechs of thier CT but they dont die...

Or I get 599 dmg and 3 kills in a loss....or 700+ dmg in a loss...meanwhile the next closest guy is like 300 maybe...

#14 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 June 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Yeah, going up into the top Tiers is like growing up.

It seems awesome till you get there, then you realize it isn't how awesome you had thought it would be.

In many ways, the current system is doing you a favor lol.

51 this year, the chances of me ever growing up are pretty slim, I still play PC games, instead of gardening, or lawn bowls FFS

#15 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

I love ending up head and shoulders above the rest of the team in a loss.

Then again, I love being there on a win, too- but honestly, don't look at damage. Look at match scores.

If you're the only one with a 250+, most of your team was asleep at the wheel or grossly outskilled- inevitable, given PSR is apparently short for "Participation Special Ribbon" and awards you with higher tiers simply for being barely alive in enough matches your team won. (Doing well personally only means you get there faster, not less surely.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users