Yay For 5 O'clock Starts..........

8 replies to this topic

#1 x Nin x

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

The temporary appeasement of allowing some re-schedules has worn off.

W T F were they thinking..........

#2 Errodien

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

View Postx Nin x, on 31 May 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

The temporary appeasement of allowing some re-schedules has worn off.

W T F were they thinking..........

Posted Image

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Yep I'm not going to 90% of the matches because I work haha

#4 cg fu

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

I had to laugh reading another thread where someone was encouraging casual teams (like us) to "stick with it." An absolute shocker of a schedule and set up this is for North America. Just a heads up that my team we will be doing our utmost to field 8 for each match, but PGI has made our participation almost impossible.

Whoever came up with an 80 match format over 4 a month period would be fired in any other industry. Please, please divide the NA teams into 5 pools of 16/17 teams. Locking a roster before outlining the schedule was another epic fail.

I previously outlined my concerns here: http://mwomercs.com/...93#entry5206593

To put it simply, they were not addressed. If anything, the flexible schedule makes it worse...

As an FYI, cG will be planning to play all matches at the set times indicated on the schedule. We have lives beyond Mechwarrior, and most likely will not be able to alter timings in most cases. This means our opponents will undoubtedly be compelled to forfeit matches if they can't make it.

In addition, our team will likely have to forfeit many matches as well. Sorry in advance, but this is a video game. Poor tournament management = poor tournament.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

View Postcg fu, on 31 May 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Whoever came up with an 80 match format over 4 a month period would be fired in any other industry. Please, please divide the NA teams into 5 pools of 16/17 teams. Locking a roster before outlining the schedule was another epic fail.

It's not PGI's fault that 80 teams registered. Regardless of that, I still think the 80-team round robin is the best way to handle this in a fair manner. Because the teams are not seeded in any way, any other format could lead to an unfair result. If the 80 teams were split into four brackets of 20, what if it just happens that SJR, EmP, Lord, AS, and SRS are all in the same bracket? Because there is no seeding, something like that could happen, and wind up eliminating a team that otherwise might have come back to win the tournament. If instead we used a double elimination, a similar thing could happen: say EmP and SJR face off in the first match and SJR wins, EmP gets thrown in the loser bracket, where they lose a fluke match to decent team like AS or 228, and bam EmP is eliminated from the tournament even though we all would have expected them to make it to the finals.

So it's not the 80-team round robin that grinds my gears, it's the fact that PGI initially expected us to adhere to an unreasonable schedule and only gave us a roster limit of 12 to work with (which is nowhere near enough breadth to secure 8 players for each of 80 matches, we aren't all children, many have jobs, some that conflict with the official match times PGI provided, and also lured many teams initially into a false sense of security in, "Hey, we only need eight players, let's sign up!" ... blam 80 teams signed up, most of which will probably drop out because of the asinine roster limit.)

#6 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

Realistically, for 80 matches all they had to do was schedule 5 matches to be played back to back once a week. Still 4 months but at least you would only need to attend for 16 days instead of 48 (3 days a week for 16 weeks).

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 31 May 2016 - 05:17 PM, said:

Yep I'm not going to 90% of the matches because I work haha

i suggest you put some vacation time in
whats harder calling off work/taking vacation time or staying up 5 hours after you bed time?

stop crying... either make it.... Or eject

#8 x Nin x

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 02 June 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

whats harder calling off work/taking vacation time or staying up 5 hours after you bed time?

I don't think anyone is talking aobu staying up 5 hours past their bedtime, he probably works, and is probably getting screwed by all the 5 and 6 o'clock starts.

You are really advocating taking vacation time away from family for this tourney? Wow.... Spoken like a dude without kids and a wife I guess.....lol

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, if you can't make it happen you can't make it happen. Oh well. But eating a years vacation time up for this..............pfft, good luck with that

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 02 June 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

I put in for today off but i don't have 80 days of vacation lol. I would eject if someone could take my place but seeing they wouldnt open registration again playing few games is better than nothing for my team.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 02 June 2016 - 08:34 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users