6 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

(Warning, word vomit ahead. If you don't want to read my opinions on the Kodiak 2, skip the first paragraph, and second...... And maybe just read another topic because brevity is not my forte.)

I can't help but feel that the Kodiak 2 is a ridiculously amazing mech, and IMHO better then the Kodiak 3. Now, many may not share that sentiment, but as a 100 ton assault running a clan 400xl engine with jumpjets, it turns into one of the most maneuverable assault mechs in the game, if not the most. In the current meta, maneuverability is much more important then tankiness due to the high alpha meta, IMHO. I often find that the Kodiak 2 lasts much longer than the 3, both because of its maneuverable, and the fact that many of the builds don't have to face time the opponent. This longer survivability enables the KDK 2 to deal more damage then the KDK-3, even if it isn't putting down a 40 point alpha with double tap potential. The hard points may look anemic when compared to the KDK-1 or 3, but with the sheer amount of tonnage you can devote to weapons, those energy slots and single ballistic point get put to good use. There are quite a few good builds out there, but I have tended to have the most success with the one below.

This happens to be my favorite Kodiak 2 build also.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b08f6ccb9595b40

I've had some insane matches in this mech. Nothing can really quite trade with it at medium range, and even at long range the dual PPC's hit incredibly hard. Surprisingly, it can brawl quite well too (Not an atlas, but anything smaller isn't going to make it.). Despite the XL engine, the CT tends to get hit so often, and the shield arms so good, that it isn't even a problem in a brawl. Even if an enemy mech takes out your shield side, you are still MUCH more maneuverable then the majority of assault mechs out there, and you didn't even lose any of your firepower. If you happen to lose your RT, you are a stick basically, but if you are shielding properly that will almost never happen. I found that the mech rolls damage quit well, and the arm shields put the banshee's gigantic ham fists to shame. This mech essentially plays like a giant right sided Misery with more heatsinks, range, radar range, targeting ability, shielding, maneuverability, agility, and cuteness (It looks like a teddy bear rather than a giant dil.......Well, you know.) That being said, there are some problems with the mech. One, Heat, it runs hotter then h*ll, even on cold maps. Two, It's a Kodiak. These suckers are basically the new Dire Wolves. Once teams stop fielding 4 of them every match, they are going to be focused down faster then an Atlas Riding a Dire Wolf wielding a Timber wolf as a machine gun. Three, its massive CT is a problem. Sometimes I like to pretend it's not a problem, but then I realize the CT is fricken huge.

I'd like to hear any thoughts about the build. I realize most would take out the probe, but I've never run out of ammo for the thing during even prolonged matches, the armor on the left arm has proven sufficient for shielding, and 20 heatsinks is the soft cap. I added probe to frustrate enemy lights and increase sensor range.

Peace, and have a wonderful day.

#2 Captain Alt F4

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationDesktop

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Agree with you that the KDK-2 is a great mech.

But you got hardpoints boi - use 'em!

Meta Vomit!
Use your left side to soak up damage and the right to punish anyone who pops their head out. Attempt to maintain range between 400-500 meters to maximise effectiveness while reducing damage from close range mechs.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1c35c18fabab10f

Edited by Captain Alt F4, 01 June 2016 - 07:22 PM.

#3 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

How quickly you shot out 7 LBX rounds?If the answer is "before losing LT" then I recommend to exchange place of 1t of ammo with jump jet.This way your mobility won't be hampered once your shield side is gone.

Can you record a video how you play this Kodiak?

Edited by MasterBLB, 01 June 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#4 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

Unfortunately, I can't get a recording of how to play this Kodiak. My computer is slow even without recording. Basically, you want to peek with your right side during the trading phase of the battle. If you are outside of 300m just focus on utilizing your PPCs to conserve ammo. Generally you will win trades if you shoot and scoot back into cover. Due to your maneuverability and jump jets, you can generally get back behind cover before a laser vomit build deals full damage, and if you're shielding, their damage won't be effective anyway. Once you're within range of the autocannon, you can start alpha'ing everytime you peek. 40 damage pinpoint (ish), with a ridiculous crit rate will beat out laser vomit almost everytime, especially if you know how to torso twist. Once the brawling phase starts, focus on traditional brawling alpha and twist mechanics. You deal 40 damage to a single component everytime you alpha, and even with ERPPC heat you can still alpha 3 times before you must rely entirely on the autocannon. If your aim is good, you can deal 120 damage to an enemy mech in a brawl before overheating. Once the mech is too hot, you still have a 20 damage autocannon with amazing crit abilities to brawl with. By the time you are near overheated the enemies armor should be open, and that's when the LBX really shines. You have an entire dead side, that often doesn't actually get destroyed, due to the fantastic arm shields and CT massiveness, and with the prevalance of XL builds, you're not at that much of a disadvantage anyway.

That's how I play the build anyway. You could probably do close range old school poptart meta too if you wanted.

#5 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

The KDK-2 is probably favorite Kodiak so far. I have been switching between these two builds: KDK-2 Guass and KDK-2 4xLPLs. Both are great, the 4xLPL build I have thought about lowering the engine and dropping FF, but have been too cheap to do so. If I did it would look more like this.

#6 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:49 PM

I have been using this build to surprising success:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c671b4eeb0bdd9d

It's not meta, maybe even appear non-optimal, but it does perform.

Link those arm mounted cMPLs to weapon group 2 and continuously chain fire them while lining up shots for the torso mounted cMPL pair and the UAC10. Just had a match with over 1000 damage.

Can also put down a respectable alpha, if need be.

#7 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Due to the nature of being a Merc, the need of both Inner Shpere and Clan Mechs a required now, so when the time comes I will get a KDK-2 most probably equipped like this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ebd95c93a222eae

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users