Assaults And Gauss

31 replies to this topic

#21 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

Depends on your play style. I slapped a Gauss back on my Misery and my kill rate improved big time thanks to the extra rang.

Whats important is to make sure you have other weapons that will make up for the DPS like Pulse Lasers.

Also, keep moving! Don't let that slow recycle time make you a target, hit and run to cover then to keep running till you see your next target.

Keep the 4XUAC/5s if it's working, a buddy of mine was talking about a 2XGauss/2X UAC/10 combo but we have been having too much fun leveling with 4X UAC/10s to bother trying it out.

The Kodiak 2 with Gauss + Pulse laser is a popular build on Smurfy. I haven't tried it myself but it sounds like a bigger, meaner version of my Timber Wolf S build that I have allot of success with.

#22 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostKuaron, on 04 June 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Yes, exactly that's why the suggestion. ^^
No idea what the macro thing is about but two buttons is too little for MWO, I think, you need three at least.

Standard PC mouse have 2 buttons and a scrolling wheel. If the game need more, it's a shortcoming of the game, not of the mouse.

#23 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostHelene de Montfort, on 04 June 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Standard PC mouse have 2 buttons and a scrolling wheel. If the game need more, it's a shortcoming of the game, not of the mouse.

The fact the game works so poorly with a joystick has always been a complaint. Remember the Razer Artemis Joystick advertised to players during the Beta?
Posted Image

#24 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

Dual and Triple Gauss (But Dual is far easier to use) Dire Whales are pretty scary. If they actually manage to get in position, that is.

Tremendous alpha strikes, superb heat efficiency (if firing only Gauss/LPL), and good range make for a mech that was considered "OP" even when it went 54 kph a year back. Sure, it might not be "meta" right now, but few mechs can even dream of putting as much lead downrange as the Direwolf.

#25 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:42 PM

What I'm interested in is gauss on the Cyclops speculation. I'm super tempted to put dual Gauss and a huge engine on the hero variant and keep flopping on whether that's a good idea. I want to take advantage of that big engine cap and slap a XL400 in there but an XL up against two gauss rifles seems like a bad idea.

#26 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

I don't think we can say something about the Cyclops before release. ^^

After all, I'm playing with the idea again to put the dual Gauss on the Kingcrab and give it a chance, but with 3 ERLL for a decent alpha instead of secondary ML or MPL. Saw such a build on metamechs yesterday, so it seems possible.
In this context @ Helene: What did you do with you weight, so that your KGC had medium lasers and still ran only ~50 kph?

Yesterday I gave the MAD-3R with 1 Gauss + 2 PPC + 2 ML another chance and it kind of works, even if I still have the expression that with auto cannons one gets a better effect for less effort.
Now thinking of testing Gauss on the Cat K2 but this is a topic for another thread.

#27 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:42 AM

View PostKuaron, on 05 June 2016 - 04:47 AM, said:

I don't think we can say something about the Cyclops before release. ^^

After all, I'm playing with the idea again to put the dual Gauss on the Kingcrab and give it a chance, but with 3 ERLL for a decent alpha instead of secondary ML or MPL. Saw such a build on metamechs yesterday, so it seems possible.
In this context @ Helene: What did you do with you weight, so that your KGC had medium lasers and still ran only ~50 kph?

Yesterday I gave the MAD-3R with 1 Gauss + 2 PPC + 2 ML another chance and it kind of works, even if I still have the expression that with auto cannons one gets a better effect for less effort.
Now thinking of testing Gauss on the Cat K2 but this is a topic for another thread.

You mean, with the UAC KGC? Because my gauss KGC use MPL...

my KGC with UAC, iirc, was like this :

KGC-000

i already posted my gauss KGC :

KGC-000B(C)

The engines i put in those builds depend on what i have already in my inventory. So, most of the weight on these builds is taken by ammo... Usually 8-9 tons ammo for main weapon (+1 ton for AMS, i prefer to keep an AMS)

ah yes, and on these videos, my KGC only have basic skills. On this one the KGC-000B(C) is mastered :

Edited by Helene de Montfort, 05 June 2016 - 05:45 AM.

#28 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostOdd Thomas, on 03 June 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

What am I missing, strategy-wise?

Nothing. Your conclusion is correct. Gauss is not a weapon generally suited to use by large and slow-moving Mechs, and as a result you will achieve generally lower damage using it than if you'd used high DPS weapons better suited to the Mech's capabilities and the circumstances in which you will find yourself.

This is not to say you 'can't' use it. I haven't read the whole thread, but I will guess people have posted pics of their scores in dual gauss crabs and the like. Yes, it's possible to use gauss on an assault and have a good game sniping from the back, not being pushed because your team is tanking the damage for you. And I have sometimes used Gauss on high-heat Mechs as a way of being able to deal damage while cooling off, or pairing them with 2PPCs for PPFLD.

My point is: it's generally not an "ideal" loadout for an Assault. It can be made to work when either the stars align, or in lower tier matches.

Edited by Appogee, 05 June 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#29 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

@ Helene:
Yes, the Gauss KGC, and I was speaking of using ERLL instead of medium lasers. Metamechs.com proposes this build, so it seems reasonable to people squeeing in large lasers (I'd take ER ones, ofc).

Edit:
Maybe just 2 ERLL and therefore faster and cooler, if I do a similar build. Idk jet.
Somehow like this, maybe, even it is a little short on Gauss ammo. But thanks to the lasers it is less dependant on it.

Edited by Kuaron, 05 June 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#30 Helene de Montfort

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPays de Loire

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostKuaron, on 05 June 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

@ Helene:
Yes, the Gauss KGC, and I was speaking of using ERLL instead of medium lasers. Metamechs.com proposes this build, so it seems reasonable to people squeeing in large lasers (I'd take ER ones, ofc).

Edit:
Maybe just 2 ERLL and therefore faster and cooler, if I do a similar build. Idk jet.
Somehow like this, maybe, even it is a little short on Gauss ammo. But thanks to the lasers it is less dependant on it.

Curious builds.... Definitely different from what i use Posted Image

#31 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

OK, tested the latter one now. It works on long range, at least, so if the people start repeatedly select Polar Highlands and you begin to wish death to everyone of them, you can improve your situation by choosing such a mech. Or any ERLL vomit you have in the garage. ^^

One conclusion I'd state about Gauss is that you need two of them to work.
I'm still not sure if it works better than a simpler to use ERLL vomit (3+2 or 3+3). With the Gauss combo you deal the damage in one salve instead of two, but on an assault you are exposed anyway for a prolonged amount of time. While 3+2 ERLL fit easily on heavies, you even don't need an assault for them.
The only advancement of the Gauss combo is that you don't need to cool down (heat-wise).
So... idk.

#32 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

In my experience, Gauss vomit does reduce exposure over laser vomit where you juggle groups to avoid ghost heat. Usually, if you can get a single Gauss and decent heat efficiency for other weapons, it should perform atleast just as well as more than 3 large-class lasers.

Again, this is just in my experience. I'm not saying 3+2 (or 2+2 in case of clan) is any worse, this should really be upto player choice. I don't like LL (or C-LPL) boating very much, so take this with a pinch of salt if you think I have bias. I might as well have.

Try out both, you'll realize what you do better with. (I know you mention assaults, so I'm saying this)

Then again, if you can get TWO gauss rifles AND lasers, it's better than just two gauss rifles. Case in point, the Dire Whale.

2Gauss 3LPL and 2Gauss 2LPL 3ML are just frigging awesome on Dire Whale if you can get into position 400-500m away. Definitely better than trying 5/6 C-LPL, though that's due to the Ghost heat issues.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 06 June 2016 - 07:50 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users