#1 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

Greetings mechwarriors.

I have seen this issue with a number of mechs already. And the issue is that you cant always use all the available tonnage.

You are outfitting your mech, putting stuff in/on your mech and all of a sudden you see 74 out of 75 ton used, but you cant put nothing more on the goddamn mech for some goddamn reason.

How is that? When I look at available slots it says something like 72 of 78 slots used. So there are slots available to put another heatsink or another ton of ammo in PLUS the game says you still have another ton to fill. BUT you just CANT! Why? Bug?

And sometimes when you max out your armor the game says that your mech has 74.9 out of 75 ton used... Really? This is maybe nitpicking but this shouldnt be happening. Bug?

Endosteel...? Can this be the wrongdoer? I highly doubt it but I am not sure.

This is something I just cannot understand with my simple brain of mine...

Can someone enlighten me about this issue?

Thank you.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

Issue is the way mwo puts armor in. In Battle tech using max armor would always result in wasted tonnage by rounding up. This is because the max tonnage is not a multiple of 16 (32 in mwo) for standard armor or 35-36.x for ferro (mwo, is ) 38-ish ferro (mwo clans).

Quite simply take 2 to 6 points off to use that last half ton.

In battle tech you could only add armor by the half ton not by the point, then distribute points.

#3 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

View Post4ries, on 03 June 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Can someone enlighten me about this issue?

Thank you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d79f640ad723a50

somethging like that? (ignore the loadouts, just a sample)

Yeah, maxed out armor sometimes cause the 44.9/45 thing.
If you have not used that website, welll use it now, pretty much everyone here is using it.

#4 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

So, thats why I sometimes get the 49.9/50 thing.

But about that other thing I have told about; where you outfit your mech and suddenly you notice that you cant put anything more on your mech despite having a free ton left over...
Perhaps you can still put a half ton ammo in your mech but then you still have a half ton left.
Nobody has encountered this yet? I cant say I will put a mech together on smurfy but i doubt if that website does EVERYTHING mwo's mechlab does; in other words I dont think smurfy can replicate this issue...

Maybe I can outfit one of my orions and take a screenie with fraps to show this...

What is this about? I honestly dont understand this...

Edited by 4ries, 03 June 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#5 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

This happens all the time....I have a Kodiak with 4 free tons. But every slot is used up and it has full armor. My only complaint is that I would ask for a tad more speed because of being 4 ton short.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

View Post4ries, on 03 June 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

So, thats why I sometimes get the 49.9/50 thing.

But about that other thing I have told about; where you outfit your mech and suddenly you notice that you cant put anything more on your mech despite having a free ton left over...
Perhaps you can still put a half ton ammo in your mech but then you still have a half ton left.
Nobody has encountered this yet? I cant say I will put a mech together on smurfy but i doubt if that website does EVERYTHING mwo's mechlab does; in other words I dont think smurfy can replicate this issue...

Maybe I can outfit one of my orions and take a screenie with fraps to show this...

What is this about? I honestly dont understand this...

It's less than "0.1" tons consumed.
The display usually only shows intervals of 0.1 tons.
Even throwing on a Clan machine gun (which is 0.25 tons) will show up as 0.3 tons consumed OR as not having consumed anything when in fact it has.

Ferro armor, Clan MGs, or miniscule amounts of standard armor (such as 1 point of armor over "x" tons won't show on the 'free' tons as being consumed).

Note that a fraction of tonnage is SHOWN to be consumed for every 3 points of STD armor.
...but weight is REALLY consumed for every 1 point of STD armor.

Edit. Mechlab's improved a bit. With standard armor it shows individual tenths. Much better than in the past.
But it only shows in the tenths place.
A single point of armor in MWO is 0.03125 tons.
Meaning 3 points of armor is necessary to show you have 0.1 ton.
Which is actually 0.09375 tons.
This is why it usually takes 2 tons or sometimes 3 tons to get an even number for Ferro (which is 35 and Unknown Fraction Here points per ton for IS or 37 / 38 and unknown fraction here points for Clans),

Edited by Koniving, 03 June 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#7 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

you usually just need to drop a point or 2 of armor to make that last 1/2 ton usable - like they said, it's a rounding thing

#8 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:48 AM

Now my simple brain of mine can now kinda understand how these things work. Thankfully for me I dont just accept things but rather want to know the how and why of things.

Thanks for the replies.

#9 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 03 June 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

This happens all the time....I have a Kodiak with 4 free tons. But every slot is used up and it has full armor. My only complaint is that I would ask for a tad more speed because of being 4 ton short.

This is where tweaking your build comes in!

A lot of mechs have issues filling the hardpoints with dense enough equipment, especially if you are boating lots of smaller energy. Try upgrading to pulses, or ballistics (very dense). Also, if you can increase your engine size that will help, although it costs more.

Always use all your tonnage!!

#10 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:35 AM

here is an extreme example, both tonnage and slots left but you cannot add more weapons, it already has max armor, it has plenty of ammo and cannot add more heatsinks
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3e7745477604df9
there are insufficient slots to add more heat sinks because each DHS takes up 3 slots and no component has 3 spare slots so they will not fit and all the inengine slots are used already.
All the hard points are filled so you cannot add more weapons,
the armour is maxed out,
it has about double the amount of ammo you are realisticly likely to use.

so your options are to swap some of the weapons for heavier versions or upgrade the engine, ether to a standard for more durability or to a larger XL for more speed, to use more tonnage

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

View PostBoulangerie, on 04 June 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

This is where tweaking your build comes in! A lot of mechs have issues filling the hardpoints with dense enough equipment, especially if you are boating lots of smaller energy. Try upgrading to pulses, or ballistics (very dense). Also, if you can increase your engine size that will help, although it costs more. Always use all your tonnage!!

One problem I've had with my Kodiaks is them overheating. I could have added more and bigger/denser weapons but would not have been able to use them. My Kit Fox killed a Kodiak last night using two flamers, an SPL and 4 MGs, lol. And he was my 2nd one in a row after i jumped the gate they did not bring down and I came behind them. The 1st one must have been hurt, i honestly never had time to target them. On the 2nd one, I ran out of MG ammo so I yelled HELP and someone came and finished him off.

I'm going to turn on my PT is a few days when I finally get new glasses. Void Angel showed me a way to replace my quad AC5's with quad AC10's. I just do not have enough to get the new XL engine I need. I managed to put together a version but using an STD engine I already had. So it was slower and did not carry the same amount of ammo and lasers.

So I'll wait to I can buy the better engine. I did have $4M but needed over $6M and I went after and bought.....AMS overload!

#12 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 04 June 2016 - 04:19 AM, said:

One problem I've had with my Kodiaks is them overheating. I could have added more and bigger/denser weapons but would not have been able to use them. My Kit Fox killed a Kodiak last night using two flamers, an SPL and 4 MGs, lol. And he was my 2nd one in a row after i jumped the gate they did not bring down and I came behind them. The 1st one must have been hurt, i honestly never had time to target them. On the 2nd one, I ran out of MG ammo so I yelled HELP and someone came and finished him off.

I'm going to turn on my PT is a few days when I finally get new glasses. Void Angel showed me a way to replace my quad AC5's with quad AC10's. I just do not have enough to get the new XL engine I need. I managed to put together a version but using an STD engine I already had. So it was slower and did not carry the same amount of ammo and lasers.

So I'll wait to I can buy the better engine. I did have $4M but needed over $6M and I went after and bought.....AMS overload!

Yes, one of the main skills that you have to learn with the larger, higher heat, weapons is fire discipline. Watch your heat bar, and practice in the training grounds. Once you are comfortable with your build you will know how many times you can alpha before you are high heat. You'll get a feel for how long to wait in between shots as well so that you don't overheat. In a real game, overheating can spell your doom, especially in a light. An overheated mech draws fire like no other!

Make sure you aren't triggering ghost heat. Different weapons have different amounts that can fired at the same time without incurring an extra heat penalty. When you build your mech, if you have the ability to trigger this penalty, it will give you a warning heat symbol at the top of the mechlab, which when clicked on tells you the number threshold.

One example for clans is ERLL; you can fire 2 at a time. If you load in 4, make sure they are on different groups and fire 0.5 seconds apart to avoid triggering the ghost heat. This will greatly improve your DPS. You can still alpha if you need to, but know that you'll need to back off and cool down longer before firing again.

Also, small lasers can build heat pretty good too, because you are firing more of them, and also their cooldowns are much faster, so you are firing more often as well.

Good luck!

#13 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostBoulangerie, on 04 June 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

This is where tweaking your build comes in!

Mech twerking done right

Edited by Ace Selin, 05 June 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

View Post4ries, on 04 June 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Now my simple brain of mine can now kinda understand how these things work. Thankfully for me I dont just accept things but rather want to know the how and why of things.

Thanks for the replies.

Easiest way to be sure in the future? Scrape a couple points of armor off somewhere. Say, you show 74.0 tons current weight and it won't let you add a 1.0-ton equipment, then drop a few points UNTIL mechlab shows your weight at 73.9. THEN add your equipment, and THEN re-add armor one point at-a-time until you hit the 75.0 limit.

;)

#15 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 05 June 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Easiest way to be sure in the future? Scrape a couple points of armor off somewhere. Say, you show 74.0 tons current weight and it won't let you add a 1.0-ton equipment, then drop a few points UNTIL mechlab shows your weight at 73.9. THEN add your equipment, and THEN re-add armor one point at-a-time until you hit the 75.0 limit.

Posted Image

Great tip! Thanks sister rabbi.

Edited by 4ries, 06 June 2016 - 05:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users