#1 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

Lets say you did exactly 300 damage every single match and won 50% of all matches.

Would you still advance from tier 5 to tier 4? How many battles do you think it would take?

I'm asking because it seems that to advance you really need to get your average up to something more like 400+ per match.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

You will. It will be slow. The more matches you play the slower it will go.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 05 June 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I need to stop doing the invasions, my score there is horrible. In fact, because of them, I think i will forever be a Tier 5.

Faction Warfare has absolutely no impact on tier.

Tier is for the matchmaking system in Quick Play only.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostDogstar, on 05 June 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Lets say you did exactly 300 damage every single match and won 50% of all matches.

Would you still advance from tier 5 to tier 4? How many battles do you think it would take?

I'm asking because it seems that to advance you really need to get your average up to something more like 400+ per match.

There is more to it than that.
Did you find unique targets before anyone else? Solo kills /kills most damage / Most damage for someone else's kill?
How many different targets did you hit?
If assault or heavy, were you near other Mechs smaller than you?
If medium or light were you near bigger Mechs?
Did you work towards the non combat objectives?
The list goes on.

What to really gauge is match score. Ive had matches up to 1,200 damage and a match score of only 130 something and matches with 2 or 300 damage and net a match score over 200.

Work it above 200 and you will go up quick.

Edited by Koniving, 05 June 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

Under 250 match score on a loss and you will loose tier "points", half of damage is added to score, so do 500 damage on a loss and you can guarantee you will not down, but it is quite possible to get less than 100 damage on a loss and earn enough for other things to maintain, I think it is about 150 match score on a win to go up, so 300 damage on a win will guarantee a gain but 300 on loss will not guarantee a maintain.

As has already been mentioned Faction Play weather invasion mode or scouting mode does not count towards tier progress.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

If you win 50% of your matches, and get 150 match score in those matches (which you can obtain with 300 damage, or less damage + kills, assists, spotting, etc - as Koniving noted there are lots of other contributors, but 2 damage done = 1 match score on its own), you'll go up.

Basically, you'll go up in tier - potentially very slowly - pretty much no matter what if you make a 50:50 win loss ratio. Even without that, though, it's pretty hard to go down.

#7 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Yeah the system for determining tier progression is very complex. But the variable that affects it most is winning. It is really hard to get tier advancement if you lose... Even if you did everything else right (multiple kills, tons of damage whatever).

Koniving has it right. I've gotten tier progression even with a match score under 100 before. And I have lost tier progression with a match score of almost 500 before. Winning is not everything, but it's a lot.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 05 June 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#8 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

I believe its like this ...

Match Scores :

WIN
400+ = Large PSR Increase
250-399 = Medium PSR Increase
100-249 = Small PSR Increase
0-99 = No Change

LOSS
400+ = Small PSR Increase
250-399 = No Change
100-249 = Medium PSR decrease
0-99 = Large PSR decrease

#9 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

It has been stated by PGI that PSR is meant to be an indicator of experience not of the quality of the warrior. BlackhawkSC has a very interesting video about this on his YouTube channel. It will increase slowly over time much like an XP bar that determines player level. The bump you get on a win with an average performance, let say 150 match score, is worth far more then the what you'll lose with the same performance. As Sadistic Savior said, the win is most heavily weighted. So if you are only dropping solo, I wouldn't worry about it. if you really want to get advice on how to increase your PSR, I'd recommend you find a group to join. The Praetorian Legion is pretty good and I'd start there. You can find a link in Rogue Jedi's sig.

Edit:Because Jedi is not red, he's out of control.

Edited by Spike Brave, 08 June 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

Might help to know more about the mechs you're piloting and the style you play. Why? ...

Well, let's say you stick in the pack and don't get many Scouting bonuses, you don't carry UAVs and therefore none of their associated bonuses, etc. Then yeah, you may need to average higher damage to get anywhere any time soon.

If you're out on your own a lot in a light mech, backstabbing or harassing, popping UAVs and using AP or NARC to counter ECM and spot for friendlies, then you may find yourself steadily increasing in PSR on a damage average of less than 200/match. I did. ;)

So yeah, it depends a lot on what and how you play. But DO NOT go trying to change what you do just to climb the PSR tiers. Instead, just focus on playing your game your way, enjoying the experience, and improving the skills. PSR will come, whether you want it to or not (hint: not really, no, you don't want to climb the tiers). I'm reminded of Billy Madison, the high schooler, visiting his old classmates in elementary school....

"DON'T say that. Stay here! Stay as long as you can!"

#11 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 05 June 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

I believe its like this ...

Match Scores :

WIN
400+ = Large PSR Increase
250-399 = Medium PSR Increase
100-249 = Small PSR Increase
0-99 = No Change

LOSS
400+ = Small PSR Increase
250-399 = No Change
100-249 = Medium PSR decrease
0-99 = Large PSR decrease

I can confirm your believe about match scores as according to my own observation.

A few base statistics of interest taken from my profile are "Kills / Death" ratio is 957 / 916 = 1.04 and "Wins / Losses" ratio is 635 / 670 = 0.95

I began to improve as a mech pilot after 8++ games played since April 11th, 2016 languishing almost at the bottom of Tier 5.

#12 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

Turn the PSR bar off. Much like Justin Bebier show , It's not worth watching.

#13 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:20 AM

Ignore the tiers. They're useless. Just go pilot.

#14 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 June 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

You will. It will be slow. The more matches you play the slower it will go.

Why? Could you elaborate a bit?
Thanks

PS
Newbie question: Could you go back in the previous tier (e.g. from 4 to 5) if your performance drops?

Edited by invernomuto, 08 June 2016 - 05:23 AM.

#15 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

Its more than just the raw damage you do.
Its your impact on the single game that realy gets your psr up.
If you do 300-400 dmg a game, 2-3 solo kills or KMDD, the game is won and all others on your team only did around 200 -250 and only a single kill or no at all cause the match was won due to timeout and/or cap success you certainly will rise quite quickly.

You get where this goes ?

Its your relative performance over your tiermates that will make you advance.
The most notable indicator for this is your match score mentioned some posts above.
That said it is possible to get out of T5 in a single game...

Edited by The Basilisk, 08 June 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 08 June 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

Newbie question: Could you go back in the previous tier (e.g. from 4 to 5) if your performance drops?

Yes if your PSR bar drops to the bottom you will go down a tier (unless you are already in t5)

#17 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

In the wierdest match I have played; my Atlas BH, another Atlas, and a Kodiak ran amok and captured three objectives on the Highlands map. Our team won the match and I racked up alot of points for captures and even spotting, but did ZERO damage. My tier rank went up a little, but I wondered if it was just because we won.

I was wondering about this OP, thanks for setting this thread up. Thanks to everyone for clearing it up.

#18 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostJack McKnight, on 11 June 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

In the wierdest match I have played; my Atlas BH, another Atlas, and a Kodiak ran amok and captured three objectives on the Highlands map. Our team won the match and I racked up alot of points for captures and even spotting, but did ZERO damage. My tier rank went up a little, but I wondered if it was just because we won.

I was wondering about this OP, thanks for setting this thread up. Thanks to everyone for clearing it up.

Damage doesn't determine whether your rank goes up or down, Match Score does. Look on the scoreboard (the one for the whole team, not your personal stats) and it'll show your Match Score in addition to damage.

2pts of damage = 1 pt of match score, so damage is the easiest way to get your match score higher, but you don't need damage to do it.

Basically, if you have more than... 50? I think? Match score you'll go up in rating. A win is worth ~20 IIRC, so it sure doesn't take much to go up on a win. Basically, as long as you did *something* your rank will go up when you win a match.

#19 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

I had a game the other night I did 890 something dmg in my cheetah, 3 kills, 8 assists, all sorts of bonuses from spotting, ecm/counter/protect light/hit and run/component destructions... etc etc.

team lost, I got a big fat = sign at the end. yet clearly, it was a performance well above any of my other matches as far as "pilot skill" goes so I should have (one would think) increased in pilot skill but nope I got that equal sign. so the win is HUGE.

;( ;(

#20 Walsung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

don't be in a rush, just enjoy your game.

it's also easier to get some achievements in lower tiers then higher, before a recent tier up I was getting good kills just missed out on my ACE a few times in the space of a week..... and now not so much.

your team will still bolt off chasing squirrels or competing with each other to get a kill but now you will not survive and then the mediums and faster heavies will turn around and wonder why the enemy is 5 up all of a sudden (or visa versa).

Or people have learnt to survive and do well you need to be in the middle of the group, which has people jostling each other to get there and you are all so close together that your PPC is just about up the mech in fronts exhaust pipe.

Long and short enjoy the game while play is still open you can survive the odd mistake and you can find the odd isolated mech to duel with. (Maybe as I continue to play my skill level will increase and it'll get fun again)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users