Short Community Warfare Seasons, What Could They Be?

8 replies to this topic

#1 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

I find myself in Path of Exile again, just because they started a new seasons and i want to see what its about and this got me thinking. What do we have to draw people back into the game beside mech pack?

Can't we have short, 3 months CW seasons? Each would need to have a particular flavor and not be rehash of previous ones. Im not loreducated and the only thing i can think of is maybe era or known conflict. So i ask you, what should seasons be in MWO? How to make them interesting?

Edit> what makes seasons interesting in PoE is that they reward you with things as you play, some more than others and some just because they add new mechanic to the game. How can this be translated in mwo?

What if we could play just one mech for the duration of the seasons? This could hardly work in CW but Seasons could be apart like, standard/hardcore/current seasons are in other game.

No economy what so ever, no cbills rewards and stock mech only?

Edited by DAYLEET, 05 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

Seasonal rankings in pug queue, with season unique rewards, such as paint job, decal, or cockpit item (sorta like Hearthstone cardbacks). The ranking will be determined by either wins or KMDDs--stats that encourages grind, in order to keep the population active. Be sure to reward at least 500 players per season so the general population will think that they have a chance.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 June 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#3 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 June 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Seasonal rankings in pug queue, with season unique rewards, such as paint job, decal, or cockpit item (sorta like Hearthstone cardbacks). The ranking will be determined by either wins or KMDDs--stats that encourages grind, in order to keep the population active. Be sure to reward at least 500 players per season so the general population will think that they have a chance.

In this kind of event it should not be per account but per mech variant(or maybe tonnage? 55tonners wont compete with 75 tonners). Otherwise the mech that's the flavor of the quarter will be even more used.

Edited by DAYLEET, 06 June 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#4 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

There's plenty of 'seasons' they could run CW through.

3025, 4th Succession War (tech 1)
3039, War of 3039 (tech 1, limited tech 2)
3049, Clan Invasion (tech 2, clans)

Amaris Civil War (tech 2)
1st Succession War (tech 2)
2nd Succession War (tech 1, limited tech 2)
3rd Succession War (tech 1)
Reconquest of Pentagon Worlds (clan)
Stuff that happens after 3055 when I stop reading Sarna (here be dragons)

They won't do any of these, but there's no shortage of material.

#5 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

Well... if you stick to stock mechs only... and give out mostly faction appropriate mechs

You could pretty easily have themed events from different eras in the battletech universe.

Frankly that'd be awesome and would bring me back into the game for more than an hour or so at a time.

I'd probably go further though and add a real regional economy to the universe, different sectors have different resource bonuses which contribute to ammo supplies, replacement parts, mechs, etc. If your faction loses say it's ac20 ammo replacement facilities then until you reclaim one your faction would have to either trade for ac20 ammo (affecting economy) and causing you to start with less than a full supply of ammo as the supply of ammo in the region you're fighting in starts to dwindle. You can of course launch raids on enemy supply depots and the like to get some ammo to fuel your guns, perhaps in a new supply raid mode where the goal is to grab ammo or supply trucks and get out rather than destroying the fully loaded and armored enemies. Of course there'd be battlefield salvage too. With enemy mechs being either repaired or stripped for parts as needed to help your faction field the strongest force possible.

Granted at this point we'd be getting towards the original simmy type faction warfare PGI hooked the founders with so there's no chance in hell we'll see anything like this.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 06 June 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#6 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Due to the fact that the game population can't support 10 factions attacking all at once, I'd support 'seasons' of limited conflicts. I.E. Steiner vs. Wolf and Falcon + Davion v. Liao + Bear v. Jag for a month and then change the fronts (but keep the map the same). Make the planets require 3 wins in the last 5 attack windows to flip, and allow all IS houses to attack and defend on the clan front, and allow all Clan forces to attack and defend on the IS front. Maybe this could be expanded to allow Fedcom v. Liao/Marik/Kurita in the same manner.

The basic rule would the that there is always one IS v Clan front, one Clan v Clan, and one IS v IS working each season. This would serve to focus and condense the CW population so matches were more frequent, less waiting, etc. The things that can be fixed with the list of CW issues, as we see with every CW event. During CW events, CW population grows enough to where fights are frequent and more fun is had instead of waiting.

Mercs can still roam around, the map changes much more slowly, planets take longer to fall (and as such, rewards could increase?)

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 06 June 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

In this kind of event it should not be per account but per mech variant(or maybe tonnage? 55tonners wont compete with 75 tonners). Otherwise the mech that's the flavor of the quarter will be even more used.

Per class or chassis maybe. Per variant is too complicated. If people want to play with non-meta mechs, they should know that such tryharding is above them.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 June 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

PVE Coop Campaign.....yes please?

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

yay season gifts!

I want a full green set of armor, a new stash tab and those nice looking wings for my mechs! Oh and a pet that collects the dropped gold!

oh wait...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users