- - - - -

Streaks In Scouting

32 replies to this topic

#1 Hysteriis

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Every time I queue into some scouting I am met by no less than two stormcrows with streak srm's (usually four). They slaughter everything in range regardless of what chassis I am using. I have tried using long range weaponry, but it is never enough or the rest of my team dies anyways. I cannot conceive of any good counters to streak spam. Any suggestions? (other than switching to a clan :P)

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

Streakcrows are easy to kill. You need something matching their speed but with greater dps.

When gathering intel, they need to come to you. Bring fast mediums like the BJ-1X, Crab, Hunchback-4P/SP or Griffin-2N. Aim for the legs.

Also stay near your lancemates. A mech that gets isolated will be eaten alive.

Edited by Spheroid, 05 June 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

Streak DPS is lower than SRM DPS and it's scattered. GRFs and HBK-4SPs should annhilate StreakCrows...if you can shoot.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

As Terciel said, SRM mediums. You also need to agree with your teammates whether you are going to shoot torsos or legs on Stormcrows. Otherwise you'll end up getting them to 20%, which takes too long and you are wasting your advantage of being able to aim for components.

#5 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thirding Terciel's comment.

Streakboat's hit hard, but they tend to spread that damage around and have a terrible reload rate. SRMs, ACs, and Pulse Lasers all have significantly higher dps than streaks. A good brawler build should be able to tank that first hit and then hit back twice before the streakboat can reload.

Edit:
This is the mech I typically run in scouting matches and it rips legs off clanners as if they were fried and battered.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 05 June 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 05 June 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Thirding Terciel's comment.

Streakboat's hit hard, but they tend to spread that damage around and have a terrible reload rate. SRMs, ACs, and Pulse Lasers all have significantly higher dps than streaks. A good brawler build should be able to tank that first hit and then hit back twice before the streakboat can reload.

Edit:
This is the mech I typically run in scouting matches and it rips legs off clanners as if they were fried and battered.

I'm SO aiming RT on you if I ever get around to Scouting again. And you KNOW why.

@OP- Look at the following two builds...

StreakCrow
SplatCrow

The SplatCrow beats the StreakCrow in DPS by 4.0 without any modules or FastFire. Same heat efficiency. It doesn't require a lock, so there's no delay from acquire-to-fire. Just requires the skill to be able to aim; to hit a moving target from a moving platform, while both are changing speed and direction. Oh yeah, and as everyone else has pointed out already, the ASRM-6 version gets to pick where it wants to put those missiles, while the SSRM-6 has to kinda cross fingers and hope.

StreakCrows are great when you need to sandblast something, or to run off lightly-armored stuff. And yeah, the Clan Streaks have a longer range. But I'd pick the Splat over Streak most days, and so should you. ;)

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

if you are having trouble with Stormcrows armed with SSRMs the simplest solution is having a Mech faster than 110 and staying at least 361m away from them, do that and the Streakcrow literally cannot hurt you.

if you insist on fighting a streakcrow at close range then SRMs are the way to do it, otherwise just out range them.

there are plenty of Medium Mechs able to outrun a SCR if you put in a big enough engine

#8 Domenoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 05 June 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Edit:

I beg of you, please remove that CASE. You have an XL Engine. The CASE is literally a complete waste of tonnage.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 05 June 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

I beg of you, please remove that CASE. You have an XL Engine. The CASE is literally a complete waste of tonnage.

SHHHHH!

DAMMIT, man! Don't DO that! Five tons of ammo in a side torso with an XL engine? LET HIM! Can't you see that this man is an ARTIST?!?!?!

#10 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

You need two things - shoot legs, and have max DPS.

#11 MeanMachinE

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

When playing a streak hunchback, i have had most problems dealing with multiple ecm enemies as i cannot target them. Griffin 2N is a good choice against streaks.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:38 AM

I LOVE running into skill crows in scouting matches.
Easy easy kills. I get far more concerned if I see standard SRMs, because that means there is a better chance they know what they are doing.

Tips
-Just about any IS medium can easily smash a streak crow. Recall, streaks spread damage in manner that the user cant control. If you CAN focus damage then you have a MAJOR advantage.

-go for a leg, or better yet: the left torso. The left side of a streak boat is where most of the firepower is.

-either fight at range OR better yet in an area with a lot cover where you can break locks and have missiles get blocked.

#13 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

TL DR of this thread:

1. Buy Griffins or Shadowhawks.
2. Leg Streakcrows
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!

#14 Stitchedup

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 133 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:25 AM

they do not like centurions with ac 20s either or the srm lbx10 pack

#15 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:35 AM

Good points about how SRM builds have better DPS and being able to pinpoint damage better.

But on top of that, SkillCrows aren't terribly fast, and they have a short range. If you have any 'mech that's quicker them and outrange them, they're going to have a tough time against you if you play it right.

#16 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:08 AM

You need 2 Oxide and 2 Raven 3L. Oxide 4 SRM 4,5t ammo. Raven ECM, 3 SPL 2 SRM 4 3t ammo.
Radar Deprivation, SRM Cooldown, SPL Range, 360° Target Retention,

The Ravens stick to the Oxides to keep them ECM covered. Run as a tight pack. Focus one Crow, and make sure to run past it, to get into the dead spot, so it loses the lock it had to aquire hard and long. blast, repeat, then focus the next one. Never stop running, always duck behind obstacles or behind the crows to make them lose locks.
On Gather Intel the Protectors drop split in 2 groups. rush to the nearest Group first and ignore capping points, engage 4 vs 2 ASAP.
On Protect Intel, Regroup then hunt. This obviously only works with a full coordinated scout team. it can work with pugs if they have the right mechs.

Please for the love of the Innersphere... Stop bringing LRM Mechs or Vindicators to Scouting. Speed and High DPS are essential.

Other possible tactic for Gather Intel is "Gather and Diversion" you will need very fast evasive Lights. Spiders are great for this.
Max them out with the largest Engine available and pack all the Jumpjets you can carry. the Spider 5V is great for this. You will need Radar Deprivation obviously, and I'd also invest in Reduce Fall Damage Module, as you will be flying a lot. You drop and spread in four directions and start gathering immediatly, DO NOT run in Packs. Once one Mech is spotted by the enemy team his job is to lure them away to the worst possible location of the map.... keep the enemy at over 300m use cover and fly across buildings if possible. the others continue to gather. make sure you do not run them to your team. once the dropship is called one has to hide close to the dropzone and run in at the very last second. This also works with Pugs, but only on Gather Intel.

#17 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

Good discussion, but legging a Crow is very different from legging a Jenner II-C or Arctic Cheetah... The extra 30 or 40 kph with 120 ping and our always exciting HSR brings a lot of excitement.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 06 June 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

TL DR of this thread:

1. Buy Griffins or Shadowhawks.
2. Leg Streakcrows
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!

I'd make the TLDR: Aim>RNG

#19 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

SRM brawlers >>>> Streakcrows

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostHysteriis, on 05 June 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Every time I queue into some scouting I am met by no less than two stormcrows with streak srm's (usually four). They slaughter everything in range regardless of what chassis I am using. I have tried using long range weaponry, but it is never enough or the rest of my team dies anyways. I cannot conceive of any good counters to streak spam. Any suggestions? (other than switching to a clan Posted Image)

Massive alpha weaponry (say 6 MPL or 3 LPL or AC/20
Target legs.
Laugh.
....Laugh some more.

For best results, have everyone target legs.
Focus a single enemy at a time.
Once that one's lost a leg, get away from it and fry the next one's leg.

Let them limp while you finish the job.

--- Alternatively, stop playing scouting missions against the Clans and choose instead to play against Houses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users