7 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

Chess. It's the classic board game set up on a checker board, one that I don't really play much. The problem is, whenever I try and play against a computer, the computer kicks me around the board like I was a pinball, defeating me in as little as four moves. Playing against another person is better, however most people just don't seem interested in these old games, not when they can play Candy Crush on their phone for hours. Where is the challenge to that?

I must admit that at one time I enjoyed the game, now all it seems to do is sit around and collect dust. Maybe if they came out with a Game of Thrones Chess Set a few people might be intrested in giving the game another try.

Posted Image

#2 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

I like chess. I'd love to play sometime. Battle Chess still works in dosbox but it only supports modem or serial connection--which isn't a problem! It is easy to setup via emulation over TCP/IP. :)

Or there's always Yahoo chess...

I haven't played in a long time. But chess never gets old.

#3 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 06 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

I love chess, though haven't played a game in probably a decade.

@OP
-Try lowering the difficulty on the chess application lol ;).
-Without knowing your level of skill at chess whatsoever, forgive me if this is too basic of a suggestion, but look into the move known as King's Castle or Castling.

Posted Image

Edited by t Khrist, 06 June 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:01 PM

I used to enjoy chess but am totally outclassed by my mother and sister, the sister (3 years my junior) played for the England under 13s before loosing interest in her teens, and my mother played on the Suffolk woman's team for more than a decade.

when Mum started taking it seriously and wanted to beat me every time I went around, about 15 years ago that put me off playing against her, and none of my friends played.

I tried playing against chess computers and medium difficulty was about right for me to get a good game but stand a chance of winning occasional, and was more interesting than playing against mum because the program had many diferant "personalities" giving you some variety.

try some exercises to learn strategy, try things like 8 pawns vs a queen, or knights vs bishops to give you a perspective on what the pieces can do, I am talking about how the pieces can work together, e.g. wining with queen and rook (castle) is easy but how do you win a game with just a King and a Knight (horse)?

it is possible to loose a game in 2 moves, look up fools mate, but scholars mate (mate in 4 moves) is far better known, and only an id10t would get caught with fools mate because it requires a really foolish opening, where as if you do not know what to look for you can be caught out with scholars.

there are libraries worth of material available to read on chess, I am not suggesting doing a lot of reading but looking up some basic information, be it looking at chess websites or youtube videos can seriously help your game.

#5 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

I believe when it comes to computer vs. person in a game chess, the opening scene of "The Thing" that is to say John Carpenters original take on it when the creature was first encountered in the Arctic did it best. Yeah, best scene of the movie with how he dealt with the computer generated game. lol.

#6 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:24 AM

Chess....

Is this new? Who's the publisher. Are there secret bonus levels? DLCs? Skins?

What resolution does it run in?

#7 Tarfu503

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

If you like to play fast chess than sign up for a free account at chess.com. You can also download the app and play on your phone. Computer chess is very strong, I think shredder is at 2600+ elo and stockfish is close. Even one Grandmaster used a phone app to cheat at tournaments.

You also can play tournaments where you have 1-3 days per move if you like. There are many other sites(shredder has one, also the ICC). But IMO the best free membership is Chess.com.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users