#1 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hiho.

I have been playing MW:O years ago . I was in a Unit . RL turning rly chaotic for some years made it literally impossible to pursue ANY Hobby consistently .

Well, things have calmed down . I am downloading while I type this .

Soooo....I would pretty much love to get into this Game again .

Where/How do I start ? By the looks of it, it would require something like 37 days of 24hrs. reading to try and make an informed decision on my own . I have no clue what CW, FW, loylist Units, mercenary contracts etc.ect. are...

So again: Where/How do I start ? Are there any Units really well known to accept and train beginners ( Id love to join a Unit, cos I know I will NEED training and advice ) ?

Any hint, sugestion whatsoever will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

Edited by Besh, 08 June 2016 - 12:17 AM.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:00 AM

Welcome back!

To answer some of your questions, CW and FW are the same thing. This is Community Warfare or Faction Warfare. Generally this is for more advanced pilots and in order to be successful in this you will need to have a drop deck of 4 mechs. Either all inner sphere (IS) or all clan. You cannot mix and match on your drop decks.

Your asking about a unit is a great question. There are a lot of units out there. If you have TeamSpeak you can also look on a TeamSpeak server for people to talk to. You can find the TeamSpeak addresses and unit info on this thread.

http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/

As far as training goes, there is now a training academy within the game which will earn you c-bills as well as a new achievement system which will also earn you c-bills. I'd like to suggest not spending any c-bills or real money on this game until you ask about what to get next. And generally to answer that question we'll ask what you enjoy about the game.

If you have any other questions at all, feel free to ask them here. We love answering questions and helping out others.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the battlefield.

#3 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:16 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer mailin .

I guess I should have mentioned that I own the Jenner, Catapult, Hunchback and Atlas Founder's Mech, as well as another Catapult Variant, 2 more HBK's and even a Centurion ( XD ) . And have roughly 15.000 MC and 122mio Cbills lying around . Yeah, despite me not being in the Scene, when I learned about this Game being in the making, I dropped them some money, just cos I wanted it to become real .

As soon as I can access the Game, I will see whether I am still eligible for the Academy. Sounds like an actual in Game Tutorial, would be nice to get started with something like that . Iirc, I have been far from good when I played it last .

Thanks also for pointing me to the public TeamSpeaks, that is something I had planned on doing as soon as I can : just pop in there and start throwing Questions around .

Anyways: I seriously cant wait to get back into the Action . Despite of me being a mediocre Pilot at best, I really, really loved playing this .

Edited by Besh, 08 June 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#4 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:30 AM

You're very welcome Besh. It's never too late to do the Academy and get those c-bills. Also, I don't know if you've played it since, but there is a 3rd person view that PGI added. Before you start, go into settings and look at the check boxes. Uncheck 3rd person POV. I say this because it makes it harder to drive your mech and provides a red flashing camera over your mech that the enemy can literally see for kilometers.

Also, I'd suggest unchecking cockpit glass because it's kind of a resource hog and unnecessary, although it looks fairly authentic.

And make sure chat and voip are enabled. There is a new in-game comms system which is accessed by holding down the CAPS LOCK key.

#5 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:57 AM

Thanks again, those are very helpfull hints .

I am curious about how to jump into Action quickly again . I will surely just hit PUG matches as soon as I am done installing, but also want to get into FW as quick as possible ( it was something we dreamed about when I was active years ago ) .

I have read about being able to not pledge allegiance to any side/Faction, but instead fight in FW based on contracts . How does that work ?

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:01 AM

For third person this cartoon covers it all.

In the end the poor new guy ships off to the academy. (Pacman ghost is a reference to the usual disconnect a new player might suffer if they haven't made sure to adjust graphics to suit their computer. Far too many people think they can run full graphics on laptops with integrated video cards...which usually those aren't even full video cards as they borrow from the core processor rather than have their own.

Far as CW...
Depending on the conflict it is either a 4 versus 4 scouting raid to download data from pillars spiked up by the real scouts. Meanwhile a Lance has been sent to intercept you and this data. Snag it and get the Lance outta there.

Invasion and counter attack both involve 96 mechs (24 at any given time) in defense and attack against a base sporting a planetary Gauss Rifle.
From a lore perspective this is a bit ludicrous because typically laser cannons are used for this purpose and are fired against dropships as jumpships are considered to be off limits and as taboo as destroying any more factories or shooting children. So the show of it ineffectively shooting at something in the sky while dropships land nearby is...meh. it sounds cool and looks neat but it's neglectful of lore. It's like the BT/mw equivalent of the American NFL being played with a basketball, by kicking it instead of throwing it.
That aside..the first objective as an attacker in invasion is to destroy gate generators which hold gates magnetically sealed. Along the way destroying turrets is a good idea.
After, there are three generators holding a capital-ship class armor plate sealed (it's invincible but even if it wasn't you'd need to do one hundred damage to deliver 1 damage to it). Opening this lets you attack the fusion generator in the Planetary Gauss Rifle. Bang, success.
On counter attack, base was captured, former defending side gets to rush in the same selection of maps in a 96 mech skirmish mode sans turrets and gates open.

Invasion from a defense perspective. Inner sphere versus inner sphere.

Edited by Koniving, 08 June 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#7 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:09 AM

Thanks Koniving .

I am playing on a 5 year old Lenovo Minitower which sports an i52320, 8GB RAM, and recently added a Pallit GTX 750Ti ( the most powerfull Card i could find which would fit into the Chassis/onto the MB without giving me Heat/Power probs .) .

I had to tweak several files extensively when I played this Game years ago on this machine ( but with 1/2 the RAM and internal 6450 XD ), but it did run well then . Have no experience how it will perform with the Changes, but I have planned to hop over to the Tech support Section and look around there and bugger people with Questions about the best Settings for my Specs .

Edited by Besh, 08 June 2016 - 02:18 AM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

No problem and good idea. Post was edited and added to, including a cw match.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

View PostBesh, on 08 June 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

Thanks again, those are very helpfull hints .

I am curious about how to jump into Action quickly again . I will surely just hit PUG matches as soon as I am done installing, but also want to get into FW as quick as possible ( it was something we dreamed about when I was active years ago ) .

I have read about being able to not pledge allegiance to any side/Faction, but instead fight in FW based on contracts . How does that work ?

Mercenary career path.

You could also -- just to sample it -- start as a free lancer. This lets you get pulled into any match by answering calls to arms for quick matches. Answer red ones they are about to launch but need just a few people. Be sure to set your drop deck of 250 or so tons up before hand. No special earnings but no commitments either.

Just hit play to jump into pug action quickly. Those not here for a long time are thrown into tier 5 (new player tier). So you should be able to relearn the ropes quickly.

Edited by Koniving, 08 June 2016 - 02:02 AM.

#10 D V Devnull

• 4,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hello, Besh. One fair warning... If your answer to this question...

View Postmailin, on 08 June 2016 - 12:00 AM, said:

I'd like to suggest not spending any c-bills or real money on this game until you ask about what to get next. And generally to answer that question we'll ask what you enjoy about the game.

...happens to involve LRMs, you're already "Sorry, Out Of Luck"... Nobody likes to help the guy wanting to use them, because apparently it involves too much effort for their pea-sized tiny brains. I've had too much of this, when people could have been enjoying knocking the enemy silly and getting extra payments for it. Doesn't matter how much armor you bring, because if you step out in the open with your team and you're LRM'ing, you will be focused and killed because there's too much stigma against LRM-users. Just thought you might like to know in advance. Pray for the day that AutoCannons pick up a worse stigma and their pilots get focused instead. :(

~D. V. "LRM-crazed, but can't get people to help him to help them..." Devnull

#11 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:13 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 June 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

Mercenary career path.

You could also -- just to sample it -- start as a free lancer. This lets you get pulled into any match by answering calls to arms for quick matches. Answer red ones they are about to launch but need just a few people. Be sure to set your drop deck of 250 or so tons up before hand. No special earnings but no commitments either.

Just hit play to jump into pug action quickly. Those not here for a long time are thrown into tier 5 (new player tier). So you should be able to relearn the ropes quickly.

Right. So I will look into becoming a mercenary . Thx for the hint to freelancing, I didnt know this was possible re FW ( had hoped for it to ) . Why the 250 tons dropdeck, is that a requirement ?

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 June 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

Hello, Besh. One fair warning... If your answer to this question...

...happens to involve LRMs, you're already "Sorry, Out Of Luck"... Nobody likes to help the guy wanting to use them, because apparently it involves too much effort for their pea-sized tiny brains. I've had too much of this, when people could have been enjoying knocking the enemy silly and getting extra payments for it. Doesn't matter how much armor you bring, because if you step out in the open with your team and you're LRM'ing, you will be focused and killed because there's too much stigma against LRM-users. Just thought you might like to know in advance. Pray for the day that AutoCannons pick up a worse stigma and their pilots get focused instead. Posted Image

~D. V. "LRM-crazed, but can't get people to help him to help them..." Devnull

Heh, I do love ACs Posted Image . Jokes aside, I toyed around with LRMs back then...also, I was there when ECM got introudced and we actually had to learn to play spotter, even using TAG .

In essence, if I go out alone, I will setup to what I think maxes my survivability while still alowing me to do dmg . Is Imho useless to head into a PUG Game assumning others will willingly assist you racking up DMG and kills while they only get a repair bill.

When I was playing with the Unit I was in, and one or 2 of us wanted to lob LRMs from behind, I did not mind to play spotter to assist them .

In the end, this is a Game . While I appreciate many aspects of "more serious" gameplay and also like to be part in that if I can, I do play it to njoy it . This includes gaining great satisfaction from the understanding of my Team being a whole, and doing my best to play in a way so that I contribute to that one being's ( My Team'S ) success . Then again, in a PUG match, this will mean thinking more selfishly in many Situations .

Edited by Besh, 08 June 2016 - 02:17 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:13 AM

Got no trouble helping people with lrms. They are a necessary and valid evil in the field if on your team and a bane of on the other team. And at least death by lrm takes a while, unlike death by laser vomit.

Some will say they are a crutch but only if you rely on them solely.

Edited by Koniving, 08 June 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

Respawns so to speak. There is a max and min weight, 250ish they keep changing it is the max. You need 4 mechs of up to 250 tons combined weight so you have a total of four "lives". That's how they get 96 mechs in waves with only 24 players per match.

#14 D V Devnull

• 4,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:40 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 June 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

Some will say they are a crutch but only if you rely on them solely.

This is too true. That's why I always carry short-range backup weapons. Anything closer than 180m to 200m, and LRMs just don't work. Plus the shock on the enemy's face when they realize how much I'm not "Pure LRMs" is hilarious, should I still manage to kill them. BTW, it's even more funny to be smack-in-the-face of someone who didn't bring short-range backup with their LRMs, and then had me in their face. But, it's always best to be able to use all your LRMs before having to use your short-range weapons heavily. :)

~D. V. "Start long, finish short... That's the way." Devnull

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 June 2016 - 02:40 AM, said:

This is too true. That's why I always carry short-range backup weapons. Anything closer than 180m to 200m, and LRMs just don't work. Plus the shock on the enemy's face when they realize how much I'm not "Pure LRMs" is hilarious, should I still manage to kill them. BTW, it's even more funny to be smack-in-the-face of someone who didn't bring short-range backup with their LRMs, and then had me in their face. But, it's always best to be able to use all your LRMs before having to use your short-range weapons heavily. Posted Image

~D. V. "Start long, finish short... That's the way." Devnull

Giving end.

Receiving end.

So much fun; unless on the wrong end. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users