Introducing The Catapult 'Butterbee' Hero Mech!

207 replies to this topic

#181 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:33 PM

They should've made the Catapult Liao themed.

Butterbee is just too random and non-sensical, whereas having a Liao Hero Catapult makes sense from a lore standpoint.

#182 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 13 June 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

They should've made the Catapult Liao themed.

Butterbee is just too random and non-sensical, whereas having a Liao Hero Catapult makes sense from a lore standpoint.

...except that the Butterbee *is* from lore

Edited by MovinTarget, 13 June 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#183 RacerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:54 PM

The Catapult is my personal favorite and my typical go to mech in this game. Yes, I'm one of those pilots who like a challenge. The redesign is nice but we'll see how this effects map performance and play styles on the battlefield.

I do have a question for the Devs that I ether missed or haven't seen yet. How will this effect my Founder's Catapult unique artistic expression?

#184 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 13 June 2016 - 05:47 AM, said:

I thought closed doors made crits impossible/severely reduced... But, that memory is from way back...
The provided 10% damage reduction as well. Another reason why the old CN9 was tough as nails.

#185 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 13 June 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

...except that the Butterbee *is* from lore

And... here's the link... http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Catapult#Custom_Variants :)

~D. V. "Enjoy!" Devnull

#186 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:39 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 14 June 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

And... here's the link... http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Catapult#Custom_Variants Posted Image

~D. V. "Enjoy!" Devnull

Things I don't bother trying to do from my phone... tnx D V!

#187 Chroma-Matic

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

What is wrong with the way it is scaled right now? It weighs the same as a Thunderbolt, and they seem to be the same scale in game...the current scaling makes the Catapult look like a big walking tank, and it looks cool the way it is.

#188 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostPresident D Jones, on 16 June 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

What is wrong with the way it is scaled right now? It weighs the same as a Thunderbolt, and they seem to be the same scale in game...the current scaling makes the Catapult look like a big walking tank, and it looks cool the way it is.

I started off with the intent of saying it's too "fat", and compare it to an EBJ (same weight, similar shape), but I'll let the community look for themselves...

Posted Image

I tried to ensure that the images are fairly close in size and the ratios untouched to prevent the skewing of appearance.

They look pretty similar to me, the EBJ is a little sleeker and a smidge shorter (with the laser rack), but being, newer and more advanced would certainly be a valid argument for that difference. So unless the EBJ is getting a rescale as well...

Granted, I don't own any of the missile 'pults so if the contention is those missile arms, someone else will have to demonstrate this.

Edited by MovinTarget, 16 June 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#189 Chroma-Matic

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

I don't know if the comparison isn't "fair" between an IS and Clan mech when it comes to scale, though, I took a look last night between the scaling for the Catapult and Thunderbolt and both seemed to be pretty spot on being the same tonnage.

#190 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 16 June 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I started off with the intent of saying it's too &quot;fat&quot;, and compare it to an EBJ (same weight, similar shape), but I'll let the community look for themselves...

Posted Image

I tried to ensure that the images are fairly close in size and the ratios untouched to prevent the skewing of appearance.

They look pretty similar to me, the EBJ is a little sleeker and a smidge shorter (with the laser rack), but being, newer and more advanced would certainly be a valid argument for that difference. So unless the EBJ is getting a rescale as well...

Granted, I don't own any of the missile 'pults so if the contention is those missile arms, someone else will have to demonstrate this.

Literally everything is being rescaled.

The catapult is being scaled based on the standard variants - the missile variants.

As well, while in that photo the catapult looks a bit "fatter" it is actually substantially larger in volume. The legs are thicker, the torso is far thicker and taller; it's bigger all around.

The EBJ is much, much sleeker.

View PostPresident D Jones, on 16 June 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

I don't know if the comparison isn't &quot;fair&quot; between an IS and Clan mech when it comes to scale, though, I took a look last night between the scaling for the Catapult and Thunderbolt and both seemed to be pretty spot on being the same tonnage.
The catapult and thunderbolt have very different shapes.

And yes, scaling is fair between IS and clan, it's done per volume:tonnage, so the end result is the Catapult will "displace the same amount of water" as a thunderbolt or EBJ.

But you can't compare the rescaled CPLT to the current EBJ or TDR, because the EBJ and TDR are changing as well.

#191 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 June 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

But you can't compare the rescaled CPLT to the current EBJ or TDR, because the EBJ and TDR are changing as well.

#192 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 16 June 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

you forgot the dual gauss scene

#193 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 16 June 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

you forgot the dual gauss scene

LOL

#194 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 June 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

Literally everything is being rescaled.

The catapult is being scaled based on the standard variants - the missile variants.

As well, while in that photo the catapult looks a bit &quot;fatter&quot; it is actually substantially larger in volume. The legs are thicker, the torso is far thicker and taller; it's bigger all around.

The EBJ is much, much sleeker.

The catapult and thunderbolt have very different shapes.

And yes, scaling is fair between IS and clan, it's done per volume:tonnage, so the end result is the Catapult will &quot;displace the same amount of water&quot; as a thunderbolt or EBJ.

You're only looking at it from one angle, too. The Cauldron Born is quite long from nose to arse. And its arms are enormous. And, if you tack on a pair of LRM20s on the shoulder, the mech practically doubles in size... (obviously exaggerating, but it does add a pretty significant bump on the hitbox)

#195 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 16 June 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

You're only looking at it from one angle, too. The Cauldron Born is quite long from nose to arse. And its arms are enormous. And, if you tack on a pair of LRM20s on the shoulder, the mech practically doubles in size... (obviously exaggerating, but it does add a pretty significant bump on the hitbox)

It's arms are a tiny fraction of the size of the Catapult's arms (again, the scaling is based on the main variants, not the K2 in the CPLT case).

The Catapult torso is MUCH larger than the EBJ torso, it's not even close. Look:

Posted Image

Note as well that dynamic weapon geometry for the most part isn't accounted for in the rescale. I believe they use the "prime" variant (and one chosen arbitrarily from the IS) stock loadout for scaling purposes.

#196 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 June 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

It's arms are a tiny fraction of the size of the Catapult's arms (again, the scaling is based on the main variants, not the K2 in the CPLT case).

The Catapult torso is MUCH larger than the EBJ torso, it's not even close. Look:

[OT] Which pattern and colors did you used for that EBJ? It's fantastic [/OT]

#197 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 16 June 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

looks like the ghost bear pattern.

Edited by Lily from animove, 16 June 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#198 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 16 June 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Ghost beat camo, of course. Colors are (in order) Ghost Bear Grey, Ghost Bear Blue, and Ghost Bear Slate.

#199 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 June 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Ghost beat camo, of course. Colors are (in order) Ghost Bear Grey, Ghost Bear Blue, and Ghost Bear Slate.

I heard u liek ghost bears... dawg...

#200 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

Just happened after I wrote the above...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users