6 replies to this topic

#1 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:17 AM

Say my teammate is being targeted by 6 enemy lrm boats. Due to equipment or fancy footwork, let's say he avoids getting hit while I'm walking right behind him. If the missiles plow into me, will I take damage? Or, is it more like "haha, you didn't address this delivery to me" and I can frolic about in missile vomit?

Bringing it back the other way, let's say I'm about to vomit lrm's at the enemy but my temmate walks right in front of me. Does he take damage? Even if he doesn't, do the missiles ignore him and fly on toward their target or get blocked by his being there?

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:21 AM

Friendly Fire is a thing.

If missiles hit you, no matter who they're targeting, they hurt you.

Note that LRM's have a 180m minimum range, if he fires and you walk in front of him *within* 180m, the missiles will just smack against your mech and stop uselessly without doing damage (to anyone)

#3 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 13 June 2016 - 06:21 AM, said:

Note that LRM's have a 180m minimum range, if he fires and you walk in front of him *within* 180m, the missiles will just smack against your mech and stop uselessly without doing damage (to anyone)

That 180m limit is only true of Inner Sphere LRMs. Clan LRMs will do severely decreased damage inside of 180m, but still do damage. I personally know this because I have splatted something at point-blank with Clan LRMs and landed a kill. :mellow:

~D. V. "Happened to have the rest of the info..." Devnull

#4 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 13 June 2016 - 06:17 AM, said:

Say my teammate is being targeted by 6 enemy lrm boats. Due to equipment or fancy footwork, let's say he avoids getting hit while I'm walking right behind him. If the missiles plow into me, will I take damage? Or, is it more like "haha, you didn't address this delivery to me" and I can frolic about in missile vomit?

Yes, you will take damage - no free frolicking. This assumes you were beyond the minimum 180m range for IS LRM's, of course. Clan LRM's do reduced damage inside 180m.

Bringing it back the other way, let's say I'm about to vomit lrm's at the enemy but my temmate walks right in front of me. Does he take damage? Even if he doesn't, do the missiles ignore him and fly on toward their target or get blocked by his being there?

Depends whether you are running a clan or IS mech at the time. If you're running IS LRM's, he takes no damage, because he's almost certainly inside the 180m minimum arming range. If you are running clan LRM's he takes "some" damage, but if he's less than 50m away (which he probably is under the circumstances you described) the damage is pretty minimal and not a big deal.

Edited by Khereg, 13 June 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#5 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 13 June 2016 - 06:21 AM, said:

Friendly Fire is a thing.

If missiles hit you, no matter who they're targeting, they hurt you.

Yep, if they are armed, and you get in the way, you take damage. It doesn't matter if you're the target, an enemy is the target, or there is no target (ie. LRMs fired without a lock, or have lost lock).

Using enemy mechs as cover is a legit strategy. Usually, I think friendly fire happens due to a lack of awareness of weapons and friendly position, playing zoomed in, etc. Or it happens when people just get greedy for kills. But, it is possible (though perhaps rare) to steer LRMs (or even streaks if you're fast and they are fired from max distance) into the enemy.

Using allies as cover? Perhaps it's more of a crappy thing to do in terms letting LRMs hit an ally, but leading an enemy to a friendly Atlas, letting the Atlas take the brunt of the attack, and popping back out while the enemy's weapons are recharging is basic little mech protocol. It's part of an assault mech's role to "set screens." I don't know about taking LRM fire for another mech though haha Posted Image

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 13 June 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 13 June 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yep, if they are armed, and you get in the way, you take damage. It doesn't matter if you're the target, an enemy is the target, or there is no target (ie. LRMs fired without a lock, or have lost lock).

Using enemy mechs as cover is a legit strategy. Usually, I think friendly fire happens due to a lack of awareness of weapons and friendly position, playing zoomed in, etc. Or it happens when people just get greedy for kills. But, it is possible (though perhaps rare) to steer LRMs (or even streaks if you're fast and they are fired from max distance) into the enemy.

I once spectated a guy in a Locust. He ran up behind an enemy stalker, stayed right at his feet, keeping the Stalker between him and swarms of incoming missiles.

Stalker died to friendly fire, torn apart by swarms of LRM's, and while being fired on he was way too distracted to actually hit the locust at his feet.

Best thing ever. Really, really well done.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Damage is damage. Does not matter if it has your name on it or it is addressed "to whom it may concern."
Nor does it matter who it comes from, friend, foe, batman or whatever

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users