#1 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Having success with othe KDK's.
No such luck with SB until I tried it with LRM 15 X 4 + 2 LPL + AMS

Not great, but most productive build.... If positioned in 200-600 range it is pretty much a hybrid assault.

Please pick apart..

#2 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

most may hate to admit it but it's a viable build. As MWO evolves, we have to relinquish our preconceived notions of what is "right" and conform to what works.

Edited by Chill Bill, 12 June 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#3 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:01 AM

Well how shall i put it... Remember David and Goliath? Because you don't know how to play Goliath you choose to play David... If you play David's role with Goliath, who's playing Goliath's role... David?

The Spirit Bear is among THE best short range mechs available together with the Atlas S and the Oxide. The Spirit Bear is the Muhammad Ali of MWO, for its size its remarkably quick & nimble while packing a big punch while also able to take a fair beating in return! To deliver that punch and to mess up the lines, break apart groups, mob up and so on, you need to be the nasty surprise act at the enemies party at the right time and location.

In the first part of the battle you mostly have no role unless you need to clear and capture an objective straight away (domination perhaps). Remain hidden, use cover and your speed to get into a good position and wait for the right moment to make your appearance on the battlefield. You want to be in their face / back real close and start dancing, punching and shielding.

This is what the SB should be doing and you can only do that with an LB20X or UAC20 and SRM's while the MASC give you it's dancing capabilities. Packing LRM's on this mech is a waste of such a fine face punching machine!

It's a challenge to play the SB right, when you do its so rewarding!

I use the following build: SPIRIT BEAR

Edited by B3R3ND, 13 June 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#4 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:36 AM

While I find the *Assaultmechs are tanks and brawlers* notion still one of sickest misstakes of MWO gameplay ( this shouldn't be viable only is because of the alphastrike and boating nonsense ) I must confess that I find the Spiritbear to be one of the best brawlers ingame.

He has a reasonable cruising speed, can burst to close in or retreat and packs enough punch to down any oponent with 3 or 4 alphas.

On the other hand the OP is right. The SB has several properties that are most desirable for lurmers.

Ability to quickly change position, large ammo capacity, not too vulnerable to lights and high cockpit to direct sight line engagements. (don't forget to pack beagle and sensorranage module as well as target decay, sensorrange indirectly reduces ECM effect)
Droped the MASC for this and it worked resonably well.

#5 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:49 AM

If you drop the MASC, you even can use another variant :o
Drop the MASC...i think i spider :D

#6 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

Problem that I must resolve is this-

With the bigger maps, the increased number of lighter faster mechs with LR weapons I find that in half the pugs the enemy lights and meds find me before I get close to the battle zone (of course, teammates are often all over the place and many of the assaults now use LR weapons and stay back/avoid CQ/brawling) invariably, if I pop my head around a corner I am greeted by the sniper wall of fire.

So what it comes down to is the occasional match where I find a fellow brawler or a team that supports. Mostly, I find that my "Tank" spends much of the match on the huge maps hiding, waiting, hoping for someone to move with me...flank...find a loner or pair....and avoid the snipers wall trying to track me in their sights.

A match with a decent amount (if any) of CQ/brawling is an occasional pleasant surprise these days.

Edited by Odd Thomas, 14 June 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#7 Flushot

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

Gotta agree that I LOVE the SB as a brawler. I tend towards mid range builds in general but with the SB I run 2x LPL, UAC20, 4x aSRM6. I dropped the engine to a 375 which adds a lot of tonnage for a minimal drop in speed. That alpha hurts... a lot. One-shotted a DWF who didn't notice me come up behind him last night.

Biggest problem I have with SB is with the MASC I have to be very careful not to overextend. Just because you CAN get out ahead of the pack doesn't mean you should. Flanking works really good on this mech though since you can get to places where people are expecting much lighter mechs to be, most people have an idea of "its been X long in the match so the assaults should have gotten to this point" but the SB is way ahead of that typically.

#8 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

I have played both an LRM build and a short range brawler build on the SB. here's the difference...

long range is much more effective IF....if if if...you have a team that works together and spots for you. if you have to expose that big torso to get a target, you will get ganged up on. so, in premade teams, or in faction play this works well. the targeting time negates the use of masc to get in and out of cover.

for PUG games, brawler works best. this is because u rely on no one to target for you. 4x srm6 plus double tap of ac10 or 20 gives you 68-88 dmg immediately...then use LPL to pinpoint the last 23 damage on any exposed internal areas. masc is obviously required with this build to duck into and out of cover quickly.

#9 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

i think i just died a little inside

#10 Kaldrenborn

• PipPipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostB3R3ND, on 13 June 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

Well how shall i put it... Remember David and Goliath? Because you don't know how to play Goliath you choose to play David... If you play David's role with Goliath, who's playing Goliath's role... David?

The Spirit Bear is among THE best short range mechs available together with the Atlas S and the Oxide. The Spirit Bear is the Muhammad Ali of MWO, for its size its remarkably quick & nimble while packing a big punch while also able to take a fair beating in return! To deliver that punch and to mess up the lines, break apart groups, mob up and so on, you need to be the nasty surprise act at the enemies party at the right time and location.

In the first part of the battle you mostly have no role unless you need to clear and capture an objective straight away (domination perhaps). Remain hidden, use cover and your speed to get into a good position and wait for the right moment to make your appearance on the battlefield. You want to be in their face / back real close and start dancing, punching and shielding.

This is what the SB should be doing and you can only do that with an LB20X or UAC20 and SRM's while the MASC give you it's dancing capabilities. Packing LRM's on this mech is a waste of such a fine face punching machine!

It's a challenge to play the SB right, when you do its so rewarding!

I use the following build: SPIRIT BEAR

I have the same build, but with slighly reduced armor to fit 2 small lasers in the arms.
EDIT : I use a UAC20 instead of the LB, with a ton more ammo.
EDIT2 : Something close to this - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3278728a932ea08

Edited by DustyHardtail, 21 July 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

LRMs on Spirit Bear = Shame Bear.
Dont pilot Shame Bear

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users