Resupply Vehicles.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Suicidalspectre

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

For a cost of time and credits you could return to your teams resupply vehicle and get a refill of ammo and at least a partial repair(no limb replacement)

#2 zachyattacky

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMn

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

I like the idea, kind of. Not sure about the repair part though. It could add something interesting to late game strats however.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it would be really ****** for those pos jenners to be able to just pack on extra srms, less and less ammo, just so they could go refill after carelessly wasting their ammo. I hate those jenners enough, I'd hate for them to have an unlimited supply of ammo.

#3 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

In BT novels repair&rearm ops for a mech last for hours. I am not sure if it's a good idea to introduce them in 15-30 mins battles. It could feels too much arcade IMHO.
My 2 cents.

#4 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

View Postinvernomuto, on 13 June 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

In BT novels repair&rearm ops for a mech last for hours. I am not sure if it's a good idea to introduce them in 15-30 mins battles. It could feels too much arcade IMHO.
My 2 cents.

This.
Repairs and re-supply take longer than the matches do.

#5 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

I'm willing to sacrifice a little lore realism for a gameplay element that mixes things up, creates economy, and needs to be defended from enemies (which any resupply vehicle should).

#6 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:42 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 14 June 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I'm willing to sacrifice a little lore realism for a gameplay element that mixes things up, creates economy, and needs to be defended from enemies (which any resupply vehicle should).

That is a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? The appeal of MW:O to a very large part of the player base is the lore and BT aspects of the game. There are other mecha arcade shooters out there.

#7 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 15 June 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

That is a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? The appeal of MW:O to a very large part of the player base is the lore and BT aspects of the game. There are other mecha arcade shooters out there.

Good point. I think we should be very careful with things like that. Repairing mechs mid-battle seems too off, but I think well incorporated ammo resupply could be used. In TT, as far as I remember, mechs shoot every 10 seconds or so, while here, they sometimes can shoot almost every second, so speeding up ammo resupply alone would not be THAT off.

IMHO:

Repair no, ammo resupply yes. Maybe not vehicles, but stations. They would need to be limited, like 1-2 and available only in certain cases, e.g. for defenders in invasion FP match. Also, resupply would need to take a certain amount of time, like 15-20 seconds (or, e.g. 10 seconds per ton of ammo) and would require the mech to power down for the duration. Of course, ammo stations would also need to be destructibe and explode violenty upon destruction, damaging nearby mechs and outright killing the mech that was using it.

That would make them a mixed blessing, not promote ammo-dependant mechs too much (in FP they're a bit underrepresented, but still), create more tactical options and secondary objectives, without being too arcade.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 15 June 2016 - 06:40 AM.

#8 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 15 June 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

For me, resupply vehicles make the game more deep and complex, not less. They're something that can be purchased, they're something that needs to be protected in-game, and they're something that requires more decision-making. Win-win.

#9 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 13 June 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

My 2 cents.

If it is possible to go from dusk to dawn in 15 minutes, a process that takes several hours, it seems more than legit that a mech can be rearmed in a decent amount of time.
:D

#10 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostDanjo San, on 15 June 2016 - 08:27 AM, said:

If it is possible to go from dusk to dawn in 15 minutes, a process that takes several hours, it seems more than legit that a mech can be rearmed in a decent amount of time.
Posted Image

Not every planet has Earth's rotational velocity.
Ammo dependent weapons need to have a drawback. Need more ammo? Sacrifice armor or heat sinks or backup weapons, etc.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 15 June 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Good point. I think we should be very careful with things like that. Repairing mechs mid-battle seems too off, but I think well incorporated ammo resupply could be used. In TT, as far as I remember, mechs shoot every 10 seconds or so, while here, they sometimes can shoot almost every second, so speeding up ammo resupply alone would not be THAT off.

Actually, it isn't that mechs shoot every 10 seconds, it is that all tabletop elements are rated for 10 seconds of use, accounting for aiming, enemy dodging, repeated shooting, etc., etc., etc.

Spoiler

So, in effect... The damage, ratings, etc. in Battletech are summarized for simplicity.

This said, a weapon is rated for damage in that 10 second period, even though most things specify that the weapons can and do shoot faster if you're foolish and rules accommodate for this (for autocannons) or in some cases you could shoot less (lasers, rules accommodate for this with selecting 'output' (Example shown here with Nova and ER ML))... and some weapons such as PPCs and Gauss Rifles and most missile launchers ... really do shoot as slow as once every 10 or so seconds and are as front loaded as can be, unlike autocannons and lasers.
Edit: Original thread has been deleted... :(
Spoiler

(Will have better example uploaded later).

This said, we're churning out 3 to (at one point) 38 times the amount of damage any weapon can deliver in the same amount of time or less than Battletech's 10 seconds for the same weapon. This means we're consuming that much more ammo, that much more heat, etc.

Thus agreed, resupplies would make some sense in MWO (and I'm a lore buff), but only in single ton increments and I imagine it'd keep you stationary for 20 or so seconds where you would have to remain shut down so that they could load it. Wouldn't want to get caught like that. And while enemies reload would be a great time to storm in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users