Need Help Choosing A Is Medium Mech

13 replies to this topic

#1 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

I am looking to get a IS medium mech soon. I would like one can move over 85 and do good dam. Please list the mech and the build. Thank you

#2 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

The big three all do well: Griffin, Hunchback and Shadowhawk. I have all of the above and the Griffin is my personal favorite. Stay away from the Phawk. Blackjack so are good and I have the 3 for mastering. I always do well on my BJ-3 but for whatever reason it isn't my favorite. That being said I would have quit the game early if I wouldn't have found it when I did.

Dont own a Cicada but it seems fun and I have seen some great results from good Cicada pilots.

#3 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

You'll never go wrong with Griffins. 3M and 2N are super strong, and it has the best medium hero, the Sparky.

#4 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Agree on the Sparky.

#5 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:24 AM

shadowhawk: can fit the roll of brawler,skirmisher, support, and sniper all equally as good

#6 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

It really depends on what you want. The Hunchback can do just about anything well, much like the Shadowhawk, but it depends on the variant. If your looking for something a little more quirked up, the Vindicator and the Enforcer have a number of nice quirks.

#7 MoeX

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

Blackjacks are fun, Griffins are fun, Trebuchets are fun.

#8 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:25 AM

I have had a preference for the Crabs and use them in scouting when I play that. Blackjacks are viable mediums as well. I do well in most Griffins or Wolverines, so you may as well.

Not as much of a fan of the Hunchies and Shadowhawks mentioned earlier, though that is likely because I don't feel ballistics work that well in mediums currently, missiles (SRMs) and energy weapons (lasers) do much better at these weights.

I haven't played Cicadas since before the rescale patch, but the old issue I had with them was that they were to easy a target compared to a light with similar speed and firepower. And this from someone who a year or two ago loved the Cicadas. Powerful and fast lights like the Firestarter and ACH as well as the domination of heavies like the madcat/timbie made me give up on them.

#9 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

I found strong success with the shadow cat and hunchack iic chassis.

#10 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

well i would go with Cicada Crab and Enforcer

Admittedly the Cicada cant really do high damage, but can hit 140 kph and 1 comes with ECM while another can jump over most in game buildings.

The Crab is good for scouting as others have said and is suprisingly tanky. You can run XL but i tend to run STD so my Crabs hit about 81-98 kph with decent damage, although its all lasers.

The Enforcer is probably my favourite, especially the 4P and 5H.
My loadout for the 4P: ''Thumper"
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4bd0bca5f41acc9
AC/20, 4 MLs and STD 250. hits 87 and has 40 damage alpha. If its not fast enough put in a XL 320 and hit 111 kph with a AC/20 its really fun but less tanky.

the 5H i use as a DPS machine: ''Suppressor''
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...215f80c212d2515
UAC/5, ERPPC, 3 MGs. at range with all the cooldown quirks and modules it cracks out the UAC at a ridiculous rate and the ERPPC is great at the same time due to similiar velocities. MGs for up close and internals. not very tanky as its got an XL, and hits 87kph.

#11 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

enforcer hold up alright in a brawl?

#12 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 27 September 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

enforcer hold up alright in a brawl?

Yes, I think so. I run all of mine with XL engines and they do real well hitbox wise. Good speed, good firepower for there size and very heat efficient. At least that is true for how I play them.

As for the best Inner Sphere medium to get that is hard to answer. A lot depends on play style, builds, and weapons you like. There are mediums that play similar to lights, mediums that play similar to heavies, and I guess you could say there are medium mediums.

If this is your first medium, and you want to get the real experience of a medium, I'd probably recommend the Griffin. Technically you really can't go wrong with any of them. It is just that is one of the more competitive/versatile mediums in the current game. I could also be biased as the Griffin, Enforcer, and Crab are my go to mediums at the moment. I would stay away from the Vindicator and Phoenix Hawk. I am not saying they are bad, but they are much less forgiving and a bit more difficult to play well. I play both of those from time to time and have a lot of fun in them, so don't think that I am knocking them, they just aren't the best to break into the medium class with.

If you like my three recommendations I'll be happy to post several builds, but here is a simplification on how I play them.
Griffin: SRMS and MLs
Enforcer: AC10 or LBX10 and MLs or MPLs depending
Crab: Varying types of laser vomit

Hope that is useful.

#13 Jon McFuzzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

As always, it depends on your playing style (Sniping/Brawl/Mid range/Lurms)

OR better yet, it depends how you can adapt to the Mech's strength and weakness ^^

My fav in order: Cicada, Griffin, Shadowhawk, Blackjack, Enforcer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users