Jump to content

IS Medium Re-Scales

rescale

72 replies to this topic

#21 Pjwned

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 17 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostKuaron, on 17 June 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

Wasn't the Crab already quite big?


I hope that's sarcasm because it was practically a 30-tonner size previously.

#22 White Bear 84

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

Much milder changes, looks good tbh.. ..while on the surface getting a little bit bigger might seem bad, just feel sorry for those poor lights..

These changes are not that really big or impacting on the mechs, bar maybe the shrink in vindy and wolverine.

#23 5th Fedcom Rat

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 17 June 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thanks for fixing the enforcer's arms and back-leaning stance...
My "OCD flare ups" over that have now been subdued. Mmmm.


Except the Hunchback seems to have caught the backward leaning disease from it.

Also, wish they had taken this opportunity to fix the horridly ugly and oversized Enforcer head.

#24 STEF_

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

lolololololol, the griffin is going to be even higher!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH

#25 Aerei

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

As someone who primarily uses the Enforcer 4R, I can't decide if my mech lucked out because the quirks were left alone, or if my mech is screwed because the increase in torso size may negate one of the mech's biggest advantages.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the Hunchback IIC has a complete hard lock on mid-long range laser combat now.

Edited by Aerei, 17 June 2016 - 11:05 PM.


#26 Raso

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:38 AM

Wow you guys really dropped the ball on the IS Mediums. Ok, I get it. They're tall and lanky. THAT'S the sense of realism we're focusing on for this game? Mass, volume and material density?

Why do we use mechs instead of tanks? Because it's cool.

Why is that 50 ton mech taller than a a 100 ton mech? Because we're super committed to realism.

#27 Kaschkin

    Rookie

  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMonza Italy

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:43 AM

One thing usefull about the crab was the it was short.
Now it's taller and bigger? That's smart...

Bravo PGI bravo...

#28 Karl the Plumber

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostKaschkin, on 18 June 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

One thing usefull about the crab was the it was short.
Now it's taller and bigger? That's smart...

Bravo PGI bravo...


I love my crabs too, but come on man that mech was so tiny compared to the rest.

#29 Rogue Jedi

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:19 AM

View PostRaso, on 18 June 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

Wow you guys really dropped the ball on the IS Mediums. Ok, I get it. They're tall and lanky. THAT'S the sense of realism we're focusing on for this game? Mass, volume and material density?

Why do we use mechs instead of tanks? Because it's cool.

Why is that 50 ton mech taller than a a 100 ton mech? Because we're super committed to realism.


height does not mean a thing when comparing scale, all the Mechs should now have the same volume per ton, at least within 0.5%.

a humanoid Mech will of course be taller than a bird shaped Mech because the bird type have a lot more lengh than the humanoid Mech, so they are more vulnerable from the side.

while I am disappointed that the Griffin got bigger I am not surprised, I did some maths myself months ago to counter arguments that it was "as big as an Atlas" and came to the conclusion it was between 50% and 55% the size of the Atlas, so if the Atlas got bigger of course the Griffin did, while the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine while looking smaller it is because the Griffin is not very long, while the SHD and WVR have comparitavely bulky torsos

#30 Aerei

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

That's actually a pretty good point RJ. From a rational standpoint, that's pretty hard to argue, I think.

I will still hold onto my quirk nerf bitterness, though. Any Kodiak pilot will say that bigger hitboxes in itself can be a significant drawback.

#31 Raso

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 18 June 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:


height does not mean a thing when comparing scale, all the Mechs should now have the same volume per ton, at least within 0.5%.

a humanoid Mech will of course be taller than a bird shaped Mech because the bird type have a lot more lengh than the humanoid Mech, so they are more vulnerable from the side.

while I am disappointed that the Griffin got bigger I am not surprised, I did some maths myself months ago to counter arguments that it was "as big as an Atlas" and came to the conclusion it was between 50% and 55% the size of the Atlas, so if the Atlas got bigger of course the Griffin did, while the Shadow Hawk and Wolverine while looking smaller it is because the Griffin is not very long, while the SHD and WVR have comparitavely bulky torsos


My point being I din't give a flip about realistic volume versus mass. I car about game balance. Game balance should nearly always trump realism unless the supreme goal is realism at the expense of balance (which is a valid, but very niche way to design a game).

These mechs are based off of the line art of some dudes who just barely had the technical competency to handle concepts like perspective when putting ink the paper. Now we're expected balance a game based off of a highly, scientific and mathematical analysis of presumed mech density and volume? That's absurd! You're literally balancing the mech based off of art work so bad it would even get laughed off of Deviant Art.

We did not need math. We needed balance.

#32 Karl the Plumber

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostRaso, on 18 June 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

These mechs are based off of the line art of some dudes who just barely had the technical competency to handle concepts like perspective when putting ink the paper. Now we're expected balance a game based off of a highly, scientific and mathematical analysis of presumed mech density and volume? That's absurd! You're literally balancing the mech based off of art work so bad it would even get laughed off of Deviant Art.


LOL
so true it hurts
some of the TT art is a spectacle to behold

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 18 June 2016 - 07:20 AM.


#33 Mister Blastman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,440 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostAsaru, on 17 June 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Why no love for the Treb???Posted Image


The Treb needs some love!

#34 Jabilac

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:26 AM

I was hoping the Cicada would get a re-scale :(

#35 Black Dreamer

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 21 posts
  • Location...

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:53 AM

I already thought, that Shadowhawk was already in best proportion of all mechs and somehow cant accept this change for him. With re-scales i hoped that centurion would be a bit taller, but more narrower. I'm fine with the rest of the changes with the exception of lucust and catapult.

#36 Alcom Isst

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

No Trebuchet?

Posted Image

No rescale?
No jumpjet fix?
No love?
Okay. Posted Image

Edited by Alcom Isst, 18 June 2016 - 11:30 AM.


#37 Znail

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 18 June 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

So I see the sizes are relative to weight so my next question is what are you doing to quarks. PGI never just fixes one thing when you can Screw something else up... What will make or break this will be the changes or lack thereof made to the quarks normalizing size is fine but I have a feeling that that is not all they did where are the quark changes ????

They have already answered that. They may do some more adjustments this patch or the next, but the next big thing they are working on are a complete rework of all quirks. They just wanted to fix the scaling first so that they could balance from the realistic models rather then do the balance rework first and then have to redo it after models gets fixed.

They recently announced that they are working on a revamp of the mech tree to be more idividual for mechs, that may be rolled into the new quirks as well I would guess.

Edited by Znail, 18 June 2016 - 01:11 PM.


#38 DRAlexx

    Rookie

  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 6 posts
  • LocationRussia, Tatarstan republic, Kazan

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostJabilac, on 18 June 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

I was hoping the Cicada would get a re-scale Posted Image

I think that with the increase of light mechs cicada will seem not so big. But before I, too, thought that it should be less, to be closer to the size of 35-ton lights

Posted Image

#39 nopempele

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I don't get it. Heavy mechs are now smaller than medium ones? Wat?! Why would anyone play medium mechs after this "re-scale"?

#40 Volt Corsair

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

I just need to stress to those who are complaining about size differences between classes, remember your algebra. Mass does not equal weight. A person could be 7" and weigh only 130lbs. That's an unhealthy example, but point still stands. And as for, "Why play mediums after this?" I can still rock your heavy equipment with the Centurion's auto-shotty and srm packs and fly away before you can start chasing. Tonnage and size mean something at the end of the day, but the way you pilot is more important. Adapt, kill, succeed.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users