37 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

]

Wow,, both talked about as great mechs...

I can barely break 200 in the so called best mech in the game. (well one of um)

and average 500+ in some stupid 45 tonner with a 20 point alpha..

So folks, do you have any mechs that you play are suppose to be great, and you just can't even touch a mech.. and have others people say are the worse in the game that you rock?

the other day i was playing and watched some guy n a spider, that made me rethink my entire CW, group, and pug thoughts.... (PS +ammo commando quirk so we can kill more than one 100 ton mech and not run outta ammo>>>>>????)

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

I suck in Stormcrows for some reason. But i can rock a decent Cicada.

maybe im 'tarded?

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

I'm pretty mediocre in Timberwolves, strangely enough. Lowest average damage of all my regular Clam mechs (not including things like Adders, as I don't really pilot them at all)

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 16 June 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

]

So folks, do you have any mechs that you play are suppose to be great, and you just can't even touch a mech.. and have others people say are the worse in the game that you rock?

the other day i was playing and watched some guy n a spider, that made me rethink my entire CW, group, and pug thoughts.... (PS +ammo commando quirk so we can kill more than one 100 ton mech and not run outta ammo>>>>>????)

Can't tell...what builds are you struggling in?

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Too many variables and each mech plays differently. If you try to play them both the same you will be deeply disappointed in one of them.

Blackjack's hardpoints have symmetry whereas the griffin's hardpoints have different types and favor one side over the other. Also there is the current size of both mechs. Even though the griffin is just 10tons heavier, it is larger, helping it stick out more. We'll see on the 17th if anything changes.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 June 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

I don't know why you are shocked. Blackjack master race rules the universe. Also coming to a battlefield near you BJ-2 (2E 4M 4 JJ)

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:38 AM

I'm absolute garbage in Sparky, the Griffin hero, but I do alright in the SRM brawler builds for the 2N and 3M.

#8 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

These are the 2 mediums that I am looking to purchase the Mastery bundle of after the rescale so thanks for making this. I'm interested to hear peoples opinions.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

I do badly with pretty much anything bigger than 75 tons, or slower than 75kph.

As well as many supposedly great Mechs from throughout the games history, as time goes by 1 Mech will be declared great then a few months later it will (often for absolutely no reason, but sometimes because of changing quirks or some weapon or piece of equipment receiving a change) be declared useless, back when they were considered top "meta" Mechs I was rubbish in the Raven, Oxide (JR7-O), Blackjack, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, Thunderbolt and Cataphract to name but a few.

also in many cases the change which makes a Mech "meta" makes it worthless to me.

I usually hate playing what is considered meta at the time (despite my sometimes enjoying a playstyle which later becomes, or has ceased to be meta) so this could be purely psychological with me just refusing to play other peoples game.

View PostHorse Pryde, on 17 June 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

These are the 2 mediums that I am looking to purchase the Mastery bundle of after the rescale so thanks for making this. I'm interested to hear peoples opinions.

I do not know how those will be rescaled, at current I do not think ether is too far out size wise, but with size changes quirks are likely to change as well.
[edit] the Blackjack and Griffin are both getting noticably bigger on Tuesday[/edit]

I would ask again in 2-4 weeks after people have gotten used to the changes, I am going to make new/old size comparison images for the chassis I own (about 90% of them) which I will post if PGI do not do the same.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 19 June 2016 - 04:38 AM.

#10 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

I, like Rogue Jedi, do poorly in heavier, slower mechs. When I started this game, I preferred heavies. Now I have become a light/fast medium pilot.

I bought the Sparky when it was on-sale. Haven't found my legs with it yet. Haven't bought any other variants yet because the c-bills are buying others right now. Griffins are next actually.

Blackjacks I decimate with. Love them, but even my 1X that moves almost 115kph, sometimes leaves me wanting 20 more kph.

In the lights though, I do higher and more consistent damage with less weapons than I do in....say....a Timberwolf (I mention because it was mentioned). Arguably may (or may not) be the best clan mech in the game, but I utterly suck with it.

Like all things though. Practice makes perfect.

#11 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 16 June 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

maybe im 'tarded?

Nope, not 'tarded. Cicadas rock, at least for me. I've put up almost 1300 damage before in my 3M.

#12 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

Not all mechs are created equal. They each have different handling characteristics, along with weapon placements. Piloting a mech is more than just what weapons you're able to slap onto it, but how it "feels".

Like many above, larger slower mechs just aren't for me. I'm terrible with an Atlas. Get me in something with a little speed, and the ability to dictate engagement to some degree, and I'm almost not bad. Your issues with the mechs (even though you've not described any loadouts), may simply be that the way they handle, aren't for you.

Don't try to force a square peg through a triangle hole.

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostZombie Gandhi, on 17 June 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Don't try to force a square peg through a triangle hole.

But mammy taughts me... Anything can be doned if I put my mind to its!!!

#14 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 16 June 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

maybe im 'tarded?

You're not the only one, the Storm Crow and I just do not get along, I can make a Dragon, Awesome, Centurion, Adder, Kit Fox, Locust or hell even a fracking Vindicator do horrible things to the red team, but put me in a Storm Crow, and I'm going to be the first to die and hardly do anything....

I find that it's not always the mech, but rather the pilot, some mechs just do not mesh well with some pilots, first day out with my Warhammer, she fit me like a glove... I've got my fingers crossed that the Phoenix Hawk will also fit like a glove too...

#15 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 17 June 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

You dun got learned gud!

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

but using that thing containing your mind to bash that squire peg into the triangular hole could cause some damage to your head

#17 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 16 June 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

]

When I score blow 300 damage in one of my GRFs I was either afk or drunk ... or both. However, I playing solo queue only, so ...

It really depends on the playstyle. If I switch mechs I always need some matches to get used and adapt. Mechs that claimed to be good are mostly good, however, you cannot play a GRF like a Timberwolf.

Edited by xe N on, 17 June 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#18 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:51 AM

Thunderbolts and grasshoppers, see others make them work well, but I cant. Like I do embarrassing damage in either one.

I don't perform as well in timberwolf as see others do, but I still have good games, just no spectacular ones. I am probably too agressive though.

Warhammers, Black knight, orion IICs, and Highlander IICs are actually my best KD and WL ratio mechs. Warhammers aren't a suprise, as I have 120 hours in the chair behind them. Close to the same on black knights. But the IICs have maybe 6 hours across the variants and elited them in a matter of 7 or 8 games on a couple of variants by just doing great on 1st win and getting massive exp.

#19 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

Mind is OP. PGI PLEASE NERF GG.

#20 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

About the Griffin. For beginners doing solo PUG drops.
No XLs. They are to "fragile". IS XLs in mediums work best when you have a non-humanoid mech.

I mastered them all with ML, SRM loadouts. ( Maybe MPL for the Sparky and some variation)

The most important thing with 'large" mediums is to understand their role as support mechs.
Stick with some heavies or assaults, which will be your mobile cover. You have the speed and agility to break of on your own if an opurtunity presents itself , but only do it when you are confident in being able to beat whatever you are chasing/ambushing.

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 19 June 2016 - 01:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users