Back After So Long And I See The Same Problem

13 replies to this topic

#1 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

People, especially new players who want to get better, you have got to target.

HIT R. TARGET TARGET TARGET

It's really is the difference between being good and bad.

ask yourself, am I targeting as often as possible? If not, then you probably die a lot and don't get many component destructions or kills.

i bet "Hit R" has been typed in these forums a kabijillion times... and I know i'm preaching to the choir here for the most part but we can always hope a few more souls will read how important to winning acquiring a target is.

R is the button I hit more than any during a match.

Why? Because I learn all I need to know from that one button: Is a mech in sensor range w/no ECM? Quite often my sensors pick up mechs I don't have a visual on, I hear a blip, and spin around to see where that blip came from. How far away is he? Does the guys blasting me have a red opened up right torso? is his center torso red and about to blow? Is that guy totally healthy? Does that guy have 4 machine guns or 4 ac 5's?

I just don't understand why anyone WOULDN'T want to know the status of the mech they're firing at...

Why would you work sooooo hard on what could be a totally healthy center torso when the ac20 that's about to devestate you only needs to be grazed by a small laser to fall off??

WHY??

WHYYYYYYY????

why do people not target...

i just don't get it.

#2 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:53 PM

I target out of habit.
Back in BatlteZone II, I always had a target locked, because I liked knowing where that blasted Sentry was relative to my Bulldog's facing (think Jenner versus Atlas, except the Bulldog's turret had a full 360-range and a nice big plasma cannon on it that wrecked stuff). That skill transferred to the few MW games I've played, and plays an even more important role because, unlike BZ2, these targets have multiple hit areas that take damage independently of each other (whereas apparently stuff made of "BioMetal" could spread damage across an entire building to compensate for damage), but I'm going off an another of my famous tangents.

Point is, I say "SUPER PRESS R TO WIN ACTION ADVENTURE MMO RPG"

lol Not really, but you get the point. CX

#3 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

What if my R key is mapped to shutdown?

#4 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 11 June 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

What if my R key is mapped to shutdown?

Cheeky little kitty. :P

Then DON'T press R to win, that would be a terrible idea. XD

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

To note, PGI made an auto target feature that has spoiled some players. It also sucks and is terribly slow to clue in.

#6 Attendant

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:23 PM

For the love of god people, target the enemy! I can't tell you how many times I see someone on my team shooting at something, but not communicating what. So I go take a peek around the corner, and see four mechs walking toward me... So my team mate is toast, and now I am going to be toast unless I can target lock, retreat, and call my team to re-position.

If you target, your team can help you. Especially if you see a flank...

#7 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:51 AM

I am a newer pilot and I had to work on this. It mostly had to do with panic. When I would get caught in the middle of enemies - because I did not watch the map and note the herds movements - I would just start firing at everything around me and go down swinging The thought of targeting each mech did not enter my mind then. Hitting the targeting button is a new concept to people coming in from shooter games. It was for me and it just takes practice.

Just trying to give my perspective on this. Now I have learned that if you target an enemy EVERYONE on your team sees them, spot a flanking maneuver and deal with it. I have since learned how to use VOIP and call out enemy flankin maneuvers and position. It just takes practice for the new guys to learn to target and patience from the more experienced pilots.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:04 AM

I have "target" on my scroll up on my mouse so I do not have to take my finger off of the movement keys.

I watch people play a lot, looking for the best ones after I die. And I've often seen the same guys who were bitching about no one targeting almost never doing it.

I find that people not attacking the same target to be more of a problem.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostAttendant, on 11 June 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

For the love of god people, target the enemy! I can't tell you how many times I see someone on my team shooting at something, but not communicating what. So I go take a peek around the corner, and see four mechs walking toward me... So my team mate is toast, and now I am going to be toast unless I can target lock, retreat, and call my team to re-position.

If you target, your team can help you. Especially if you see a flank...

To see this in action, watch this.

See how things die lightning fast, and fire support rains in?
The power of targeting at work. Press R to make things die.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Press R. It makes the world go around.

#10 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:40 PM

Pressing R is the most important thing that I see many players not doing. ALWAYS lock your current target if you can. ALWAYS.

#11 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:00 AM

At times when you press "find target", it does not target the one you see and/or that you are firing at. And sometimes there are 4 of them...

But here is another real life example. Two night ago a match came down to me and one enemy Mech. I found it hard to target and I'm sure i panicked a little. Afterwards, it was pointed out to me that he had one red spot and if I had fired there, we could have won the game. But I did not see it.

I'm doing the "Walking Dead" at the firing range a lot now. It is really showing me how to target even faster and to aim at one spot.

And even though I hate them, I do have my new glasses which helps some.

#12 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 June 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

Why the F..... does a PFC have a blood stripe!?!?

Sorry, I'm the guy you can't watch military movies with... Force of habit, Marines have a knack for pointing out uniform failures with other Marines.

Oh...yeah... Ummmm Press "R"... a lot!

Targeting will allow your Missile boats to do what they do. As a team, we all eat together. If you don't target often, and try to hold target, your team essentially loses half of its firepower by taking the missiles out of the game completely.

Not only that, but if you're in a light mech... contrary to popular belief, you don't have to fire your weapons right away. You can be more beneficial to your team, when you "Lase targets".
Scout for your team. Acquire target locks, report back via keyboard or VOIP, what their the grid locations are... All of that information is MUCH more beneficial than a roasted light mech, 20 seconds into the match.

Edited by BaconTWOfourACTUAL, 15 June 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

LRMs are still big in QP but almost no one carries them in Faction Warfare, invasions etc.

So it is more of focusing direct fire on one target.

I tell people sometimes, simply hit the same guy someone else is shooting. Not everyone has a mic or feels right calling out targets. And while in QP, you might have 3-4 LRM boats who can shift fire easy, this does not happen in FW/CW.

One thing that is needed is more people considering themselves a "Lance" and staying and shooting together. I'd settle for more people simply pairing up. In other words, in QP you can often only have one person calling targets. In FW/CW you often need at least two doing it.

#14 greytiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSF bay area

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

Having just been in a long string of Pub matches yesterday where I couldn't get a stable lock, then moved to get clear line of site, only to get mauled by direct fire, I can't say this enough:

Lock your Targets. Us fire support pilots can help you so very much -if- we have solid locks. Having also been a recon pilot, I also understand - it's often difficult, if not impossible, to hold a target lock for any length of time.

Recon mechs should travel in packs - two, maybe three, for survival and spotting.

In FW, LRMs/Firesupport does have it's place - but for it to work you need ECCM and BAPs, really good co-ordination, and a proper time and place for it.

Fire support mechs tend to be the first targeted, IMHO, so they need a mech screen to keep them safe.

One of my best matches yesterday was, in fact, with a pub group that did exactly that - they had a fire support screen. My hat is off to them for thinking ahead.

Anyway, Press R. Lock your targets. Get in that habit. Even I forget sometimes to do exactly that!

-GT
Steeles Wolves

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users