Mythbusters lost a cannonball

12 replies to this topic

#1 SGT Unther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

In the filming for an upcoming episode the mythbusters were testing a myth involving a cannon ball at the Alemada bomb range, however the cannonball when fired went farther than they thought and into a near by subdivision.

The cannon ball hit the front door of the house and flew out the second story window, across a busy road, hit the roof of another house and then finally stopped in a Toyota Sienna.

the full article can be found here:
http://news.cnet.com...-seen-on-a-map/

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

At least no one got hurt.

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

I always wondered where all those missed projectiles went. Now I have an answer for that. :ph34r:
Still, people living there were so lucky. Imagine it: You wake up and boom!, the cannonball flies right over your head and destroys a roof of some house 200 meters away. :blink:

#4 Type ZERO

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

I was reading up on that couple days ago... Freaky stuff. Thank god no one got hurt...

Then it got me thinking, I hadn't watched an episode in a while. I remedied that later that evening. =P

#5 Gunman5000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

Wow, glad no one got hurt. I remember when that episode first came out, they spent hours looking for that cannonball before giving up and then in subsequent episodes when they returned to the site they looked for it several times but never found it.

Edit: Wait, just read another article about it that was linked in the first article from the OP. Is this a new canonball that they lost? I originally thought it was talking about the canonball they had lost a few seasons back at the abandoned runway.

Edited by Gunman5000, 09 December 2011 - 06:50 AM.

#6 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

yep, new cannon ball. This time it went completely through one house, bounced off another and stopped in a minivan

Yes, this was dangerous accident but no one got hurt. The insurance companies will figure it out and MB will no doubt have stricter limits for these kinds of experiments. I hope there's no legal action or an impact to their show or to them personally. All those guys seem like a really good group.

#7 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Sounds like a NAIS experiment mix-up to me.

#8 Aescwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

Well at least this sums up all the conspiracies it wasn't the government it was Mythbusters :ph34r: Now i wonder if they can solve the missing money from my bank Myth

#9 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

They're not going to get in trouble. Their insurance will pay for the damages, that's what it's there for. They were doing the experiment at a police facility, under police supervision, with police explosive experts on hand who were likely responsible for loading the canon. (J.D. was the cop the news story I saw interviewed on the scene)

Kinda disappointed when Adam tweeted yesterday that the footage of the shot & the aftermath wouldn't make the show. I would totally put it in, and I would have had cameras in every safety meeting and review session they had afterwards. Too often on MB IMHO we see something crazy dangerous and someone get slightly hurt, and Jamie just wags a finger at them and they move on.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Here's a myth to test:

I heard that a laser-boat Mech can get so hot that it will melt the sand under its feet and clog-up the heatsinks with glass...

I also heard that ComStar made a Arrow IV system for Mechs that can take down satellites...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 09 December 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#11 Nathan Explosion

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

View PostAdridos, on 09 December 2011 - 06:02 AM, said:

Still, people living there were so lucky. Imagine it: You wake up and boom!, the cannonball flies right over your head and destroys a roof of some house 200 meters away. :blink:

Morely imagine whily taking your morning dump that cannonball comes boosting through snatching the can away right under your buttocks. Quite a hilarious situation for the observer but hella annoying for the "disturbed". :ph34r:

#12 feor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Still, people living there were so lucky. Imagine it: You wake up and boom!, the cannonball flies right over your head and destroys a roof of some house 200 meters away.

The people whose bedroom the cannonball went through apparently didn't wake up from the cannon ball, they woke up a few minutes later when the drywall finally ripped loose and fell off the wall.

View PostNathan Explosion, on 09 December 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

Morely imagine whily taking your morning dump that cannonball comes boosting through snatching the can away right under your buttocks. Quite a hilarious situation for the observer but hella annoying for the "disturbed". :ph34r:

I'd imagine I'd be so surprised I could shi... uh yeah.

#13 SGT Unther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

or image some lady is in the house and yells "honey! close the windows, I feel a draft!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users