67 replies to this topic

#41 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

Soooo let me get this straight.....you want 35 tonners to remain small, yet Locust to do what get even smaller in relationship to that? O.o.......35 tonners are almost medium mechs man, sorry your pour Oxide got nerfed and put some weight on....But was the mech that balanced if it was already clearly under sized by a good margin and over quirked? Aka why didn't you use other Jenners? Or you want them quirked to Oxide levels? Because that's not power creeping at all....

The only ones who defend the Oxide as it was before today are usually the ones who took advantage of the Oxide and abused it. Being a light mech does mean you circle jerk assualts and heavys.....IMO you should boom and zoom, scout, harass, abmush, not go hunting by your self!

#42 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

In honor of the patch, a haiku for PGI:

Rescale is achieved
Two steps forward and one back
Minimap is one

#43 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 21 June 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'm not angry about the re-scale, i'm angry about the absolutely uncalled for comments Russ made about quadruped mechs!

It's not the quadrupeds that belong in the circus, Russ, it is YOU who belongs in a circus!
Take a look around, Russ, you already ARE IN ONE.

Heh, heh... so I wasn't the only one that cringed as soon as Russ said that? Posted Image I am pretty certain I heard the screams from poor Juodas from here.

Anyway, as far as the patch, I too am on the cautiously optimistic side of things. I'm not completely in love with the mini-map but am willing to give it a go. Main thing I will miss is the old-school doritos. Man, those things for me are classic MW if for nothing more than nostalgia (like the first scenes in the MW4 intro movie :) ) But honestly, that is probably a bit too much intel to be fair and this is more realistic not knowing facing. I much prefer to know the weight class of what is waiting over the ridge.

Not sure I can really call the haircut my Oxide got a nerf. other than a cut to missile heat, it's mostly agility clips and size profile. I was expecting the structure to get reduced so yeah, it'll still be durable and spit a lot of missiles just fine. I'm thinking she'll still be one of my better rides, just have to be a tad more careful on the attack runs.

I'm bummed everyone single mech I drive got a bit larger except my Locusts, but since most people got bigger I'm not sure it really does anything other than raise the bar universally for everyone so net-net don't expect anything lopsided.

I'm interested to see how people adopt or don't the command wheel. I'm a heavy voip user so I doubt I'll actively issue commands, but I can see where it could help non-voip pilots (if the only thing it does is eliminate that annoying "I need help!!!!" cry without giving your location it'll be worth it ;)

All in all, I'll leave it as: this patch has a lot of potential and I'm eager to see how it all unfolds for better or worse.

#44 Aethermech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 117 posts

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 21 June 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

After rescale, someone should think about raising the 0-1% light que on servers, tho.

(of course after someone who wants to experiment the new dimensions. Stefka Nostradamus sees 0-1% of lights in 2-3 days)

LOL, nah lights will remain at the 7% it is now, some people just really like moving 150kpm with the flashlights on, regardless if they hit anything with them :D plus the IIC jenners all have JJ, the odd ball missile boat is now "arguably" better than oxide because of them. The biggest point about all of this is that until we play the crap out of the new movement types and see what the scale changes have actually done to all the mechs I'm going to assume that nothing has "changed" because lets be honest nothing really did. As for the unquirkening, Meh. Don't care much in any direction. sometimes the quirks were a cool bonus on a mech, but almost none of my builds are built to capitalize from them in any meaningful way. Just have fun shooting stuff and see where the blocks land.

#45 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 21 June 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Nah, dude
We all know the true reason and the reason is that PGI couldn't code if their lives depended on it. (Like, you know? They've been unable to implement ammo-switching, because programming is too hard)

Or that investing the resources into such a tiny portion of the game models, would have minimal returns for effort, especially when people realized how little internal space they have, can't torso twist, and have no arms for shielding, tracking fast mechs etc?

I'd like to see quads. But let's keep it real about their ingame and financial viability. I'd PGI was roiling in cash, I could see it.

But it's not a profitable use of resources. And that is the bottom line for any small company

#46 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 June 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

I could fill pages with equally stupid and myopic black knight posturing..... But they've already done that for me.

But this denies your previous post!
So there ARE funny Black Knights! Posted Image

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

But this denies your previous post!
So there ARE funny Black Knights! Posted Image

Never been a fan of the three stooges school of humor, so I don't find them funny

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

But it's not a profitable use of resources. And that is the bottom line for any small company

I've seen Juodas's posts. I think he single handedly could fund the entire endeavor :D. I could picture him sitting at his desk laughing maniacaly as he continuously clicks "Purchase"..."Purchase"..."Purchase"... :D

J/K Juodas :)

#49 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 21 June 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

Never been a fan of the three stooges school of humor, so I don't find them funny

Oh Bishop, you poor, poor man.

If mechs could slap each other and perform an eye gouge, with a warhorn that sounded off with a "nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk" I would hope even you would find that funny.

#50 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 21 June 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

It isn't live yet and you are celebrating it? LOL like a sheep using faith. The minimap is stupid and everything else is negligible, especially the rescales.

You don't even play the game...

#51 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 21 June 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

It isn't live yet and you are celebrating it? LOL like a sheep using faith. The minimap is stupid and everything else is negligible, especially the rescales.

It isn't live yet, and you are trashing it? LOL like a troll using spite. The command wheel is awesome and everything else is also significant, including the rescales.

(Wow... dude, you can drop the bitterness ya know. It's pretty bad when people only recognize you for being a glum downer)

#52 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:16 AM

You dont seem to relize the amount of DPS maulers are losing. Video uploding in a second.

#53 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:17 AM

View PostCK16, on 21 June 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

Seriously!

-Lights will still be viable, just learn the old ways of don't get shot. Meaning yea, you won't be able to just run at assualt mechs anymore, learn to swerve and hit and run.

- Oxide still will be best Jenner

- Black Knight and Grasshopper will still be decent mechs and still have a place among comp players

- Mauler still will bring Daka pain for Spheroids

- Your seismic censor will still tip you off to near by enemies.

- Every thing got re-scaled, not just your pet mech, most gained some height, that's it.

- Minimap still shows good picture, it will be a good thing! Zoom will be back soon enough, Russ said they had to overhaul it for command wheel.

This is honestly one of the best patches PGI has released in a long time! Moderate quirk adjustments, nothing is knee jerked into OP top meta range. Aka if that is the only mech used in its weight class there is an issue....aka why don't to use Orion's over Black Knights or War Hammers? And no buffing the Orion to thier level is not a good idea and just makes more power creep. Same for a Oxides used over almost over all lights ect. The IS mechs nerfed that many are mad about....they were over performing other mechs specially other IS mechs, it was needed. They all are still viable mechs still, I doubt any of them will go extinct.

PGI great patch! Look forward to getting to play tonight.

P.S. I better sound like an angry Clansmen with my Command wheel dialog Posted Image

Stop talking sense. Where is the doom and gloom? Where is the hysteria? Where is the hyperbole? Where is the PGI #@%$! ? Where is your MWO DOA?

We are going to revoke your card carrying forum warrior status!

Edited by Rampage, 21 June 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#54 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 June 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

But overreaction and panic is the only way the forums know how to respond. Lol

Maybe PGIs track record of only ever reacting quickly, or at all, to that kind of feedback has something to do with this.

People will adapt to do what proves effective over time, if you validate panic reactions by only reacting on them and not on more humble and constructive feedback, then you will actively teach your community to behave like that.

Another alternative would be to not release totally off the charts ridiculous things in the first place.

#55 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 June 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

The command wheel is awesome

Yes, per se it is.
But it will be used, in solo que, by some wannabe-commander total noob, that will give hilarious orders and then whine because ppl doesn0t follow them.....

#56 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts

Gotta say there is more excitement around here with this patch than with anything I have seen in the last year. I think even Gripsvigil is even pumped about it (even if it is just something new to hate on). Anyway, a lot of positive vibes right now about the game (not including CW...but still) and that is a good thing for all of us.

#57 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 21 June 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Maybe PGIs track record of only ever reacting quickly, or at all, to that kind of feedback has something to do with this.

People will adapt to do what proves effective over time, if you validate panic reactions by only reacting on them and not on more humble and constructive feedback, then you will actively teach your community to behave like that.

Another alternative would be to not release totally off the charts ridiculous things in the first place.

PGI does have a spotty track record at times, but we have had both good and bad changes. People like to remember the bad more though, because people find that more fun to bring up on the forum.

In this case though, I think a lot of people assumed that the rescale meant their favorite mechs will get smaller. It didn't matter that PGI said there would be adjustments both ways, they just assumed their mechs would shrink. It's easier to support balanced mech sizes when you assume you will benefit from it.

Now they find a mech they like gets bigger (when they assumed it would shrink), and they are like OMFG! FAIL! WTF!". Most mechs barely grew or shrunk, and even at that, I doubt either a small change larger or smaller will make any real noticable difference.

The only mechs that could see a noticeable impact are lights (mostly 35 ton range), and I still think that will be pretty negligible. When they are running at 150kph, JJing all over and back stabbing, I can't see that difference playing much into it. The size change is small enough to need to see how it plays out IMO, and not big enough to automatically freak out pre patch.

#58 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 21 June 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Yes, per se it is.
But it will be used, in solo que, by some wannabe-commander total noob, that will give hilarious orders and then whine because ppl doesn0t follow them.....

PGI is offering too little too late.The command wheel will be barely used, most people will ignore it and then those that did use it will stop.

Sadly i dont feel anything positive for this patch. Think ill take a break and come back next month.

Edited by Ace Selin, 21 June 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 21 June 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

PGI is offering too little too late.The command wheel will be barely used, most people will ignore it and then those that did use it will stop.

Sadly i dont feel anything positive for this patch. Think ill take a break and come back next month.

This is probably true. But that ain't PGIs fault. The same people who cried for voip are the same ones who never actually use it. Ditto with Command Wheel.

PUGs be all like, "you can't tell me what to do!"

Then solo rambo, die, and then spend of the match harassing their teammates for not supporting them.

PUGlyf. It ain't for the weak, yo.

#60 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

I have only played for a short while now and can not speak to PGI's past, although I have heard the stories.

I believe this to be a positive update that addresses a number of issues that have been raised in the past, for the greatest number of players.

I hear all the time about how this game has low numbers of players compared to other games. That said, even with these **low** numbers there will still be a segregation of players. One group will believe passionately that there needs to be a change even though it will completely go against what the other player group believes.

Regardless of how we feel about his patch, later today we will have no choice but to play the new game and see how it goes. Our choice at that point is to play it and constructively provide feedback to promote change, play it and gripe about it hoping your group is the loudest or rage quit.

Perhaps an on-line gaming version of natural selection will happen. I just hope PGI can survive it.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users