26 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

Is useful, intuitive, and also the most Canadian thing ever created.

"Sorry" and "Thank you?" The only way you could make it MORE Canadian is to add "Excuse me" and a button that dispenses maple syrup.

#2 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

It is clumsy unwieldy and not suited for the heat of battle. No wonder they put the sorry to the top left.
Which non clanner uses 'affirmative' and 'negative'. Really pgi?

#3 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

Every game I have played since its inclusion in the game has consisted of me having hear 'enemy spotted' 'sorry' 'I need help' 'I need help' 'affirmative'... for the first 30 seconds of the match. For PUG it is next to useless as people are already being trained to ignore it.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 22 June 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

Every game I have played since its inclusion in the game has consisted of me having hear 'enemy spotted' 'sorry' 'I need help' 'I need help' 'affirmative'... for the first 30 seconds of the match. For PUG it is next to useless as people are already being trained to ignore it.
This is why we can't have nice things.

#5 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:31 AM

View PostARP Haruna, on 22 June 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

It is clumsy unwieldy and not suited for the heat of battle. No wonder they put the sorry to the top left.

It was at first. I've gotten pretty good at hitting the "Enemy Spotted" button while jumping, shooting, and torso twisting. It's a pretty good way of focusing fire if your fellow puggers are more experienced.

As opposed to getting the letter, giving the general coordinates ("E6!"), where most of the rest of the enemy is, calling out what kind of mech ("Kodiak!"), I can just wheel it and it gets marked. That's useful. Now there's no ambiguity about which mech I'm calling out.

Granted, there's a fair level of smart-assery there, too, especially in a roll or very early in the game, and I could think of other commands that would be far more useful than "Thanks" and "Sorry" (such as "enemy here" that designates a location rather than a specific mech - REAL useful if they're under ECM or you're scouting and seeing bunches moving from cover to cover, but can't get a lock).

Edited by Dawnstealer, 22 June 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#6 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostARP Haruna, on 22 June 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

I can honestly say the command wheel is pretty much exactally like having players on your team who don't know how to supply useful and concise information with VOIP.

HELP!

um..who? where? and why?

There is one useful command on the command wheel.You can set a designated target as a priority target by selecting the target keeping it locked long enough to open the command wheel and then select the option to make the selected target your primary hostile target...or I could just say on VOIP primary Kingcrab Beta in Delta TWO and need to only hold down my push to talk button for 2.5 seconds.

Overall not all that useful if you play on North American servers where nearly everone speaks and/or understands English (come to think of it Oceanic as well).

So for 90% of the time on two thirds of the servers the command wheel is a clunky inefficient replacement for VOIP.

And for this we got the spectacularly unpopular new mini map feature.

#7 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 22 June 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

It was at first. I've gotten pretty good at hitting the "Enemy Spotted" button while jumping, shooting, and torso twisting. It's a pretty good way of focusing fire if your fellow puggers are more experienced.

As opposed to getting the letter, giving the general coordinates ("E6!"), where most of the rest of the enemy is, calling out what kind of mech ("Kodiak!"), I can just wheel it and it gets marked. That's useful. Now there's no ambiguity about which mech I'm calling out.

Granted, there's a fair level of smart-assery there, too, especially in a roll or very early in the game, and I could think of other commands that would be far more useful than "Thanks" and "Sorry" (such as "enemy here" that designates a location rather than a specific mech - REAL useful if they're under ECM or you're scouting and seeing bunches moving from cover to cover, but can't get a lock).

What ambiguity is there to enemy Kodiak delta in golf six? one button 2.5 seconds of VOIP use and if your team mates can't understand that you mean that the enemy mech you see is a KODIAK in grid D6 having the command wheel say if vaguely once and then marking on the mini map isn't going to do you any better than saying it.

Also I could for example spy an enemy moving under ECM in a known direction into a known grid. How do I report that on the command wheel in any useful way?

I see seismic blips in a known grid and a known number of blips. I can't target a blip so how do I use the command wheel to warn my team?

How about I see a known mech in a known grid on a known heading with a known loadout how do I convey all that info? How would I say for example target beta is a StreakCrow moving into grid GOLF NINE light pilots beware!

A streakcrow doesn't merit being a primary target for everyone but my team's locust sure doesn't want that mech locking onto them.

#8 bukidog

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

the best thing about the command wheel is that you can disable the audio it generates in settings

#9 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

Oh, but is useful, as some people (especially the ones who's native tongue is english) have a rather hard to understand accent :)

#10 burns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationMonerica

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Sums it up nicely.

Out of the 529841 times i´ve hit "Help" button in WOT there might´ve been around 17 times that someone actually came over and did help - but i´m pretty sure it was exactly those 17 ppl that would´ve done it anyway because they´re using a hack called "situational awareness".

Same goes for tanking damage! Some people cannot (else the world would implode) understand that their shiny pristine 100% Tank/Mech is pretty much worthless once all their teammates have died while they´re still hiding in that frickin corner ...

Edited by burns, 22 June 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostLykaon, on 22 June 2016 - 05:40 AM, said:

I can honestly say the command wheel is pretty much exactally like having players on your team who don't know how to supply useful and concise information with VOIP.

HELP!

um..who? where? and why?

It puts a flag on them in the minimap.

#12 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostLykaon, on 22 June 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

What ambiguity is there to enemy Kodiak delta in golf six? one button 2.5 seconds of VOIP use and if your team mates can't understand that you mean that the enemy mech you see is a KODIAK in grid D6 having the command wheel say if vaguely once and then marking on the mini map isn't going to do you any better than saying it.

For example, during the Kodiapocalypse, when there were six Kodiaks in a drop, you'd look over, lock in the Kodiak and then get balled by the OTHER three Kodiaks (including the one the person actually meant). I make calls all the time, too, I'm just saying that a 2 second button click that locks in the target and puts a flag over them means that the team doesn't have to cycle through available targets until they find "D" - it's just the one with the crosshair flag over it.

#13 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:39 AM

Since all this does is basically display text (can do without the verbal) it would be better if we could customize it with actual commands!!!!

I mean really "sorry"???? what type of command is that.

Useful commands:
Attack "X" - where X is enemy designation
Flank left/right
shifting left/right
push
fall back

you know useful commands....

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 22 June 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

It puts a flag on them in the minimap.

What minimap? Posted Image

#15 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Well I know of a closed beta game in which it is used very effectively,...

#16 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostSyrkres, on 22 June 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Since all this does is basically display text (can do without the verbal) it would be better if we could customize it with actual commands!!!!

Useful commands:
Attack "X" - where X is enemy designation
Flank left/right
shifting left/right
push
fall back

you know useful commands....

I think these are commands in the big map, but I've known very few commanders who actually log into the big map at the heat of a battle and use those commands - MWO just isn't that type of game.

#17 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

Pretty solid addition, IMO.

#18 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

I think maybe after people get bored with constantly spamming it, it may become more useful. Personally I use Voip so I have not even used it for anything other than target priorities.

#19 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

I usually use VOIP too, honestly, but has been useful at times.

#20 Erdelmaine RANDIS

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 46 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostSyrkres, on 22 June 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Could be usefull if YOU are one of these SURATs which accidentaly shoot teammates in the back at start Posted Image
NOW you have at least a chance to apology BEFORE your enraged teammates kill you Posted Image

Edited by Erdelmaine RANDIS, 22 June 2016 - 07:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users