Using old joystick but with serial -> usb adapter?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Zolimox

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

Think there will be any accuracy / input lag concerns considering im using a serial -> usb adapter?

http://upload.wikime...ecision_Pro.jpg

Didnt seem to be a problem playing WC:SAGA. However, it wasssss released in 1995! Anyone else doing something similar with their crufty arse joystick? :)

#2 Sunny0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationMars / Glass Sphere No. 93

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Well don't see there any problem normaly it should work fine. :)

#3 Gendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 241 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

one of the reasons i use a old soundblaster card to connect my gravis phoenix.

#4 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I occassionally use serial to usb adapters for work and they are pretty flaky (at least under windows 7), you may need to try some different brands before you find one that works for your applicaiton.
ON a side note I thought the Precision pro had its own (proprietary) usb adapter from Microsoft.

EDIT: I don't know much about joystick technology, but are they really serial, or some sort of MIDI game port?

Edited by Major Tom, 24 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

#5 Spuds McHaggis

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I still use my Sidewinder Precision Pro with the serial to usb too and have not had any problems with games like IL2 cliffs over dover.

So I'm guessing it should worj with WMO as well.

#6 Rushyo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

As far as lag goes, you should have no problems with a serial adapter (the OS doesn't care - I'm not sure why it would, it's a totally electronic translation, no drivers involved!)... that is, of course, assuming you've never used a expensive gaming mouse. Then it will drive you into madness as you'll actually be able to notice the minute lag and you'll blame it for every single failing of your own devising.

Edited by Rushyo, 24 July 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#7 Zolimox

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Mowie: I've used it once in a blue moon for games like that as well. This is a little more twitchy so i dont know what to expect.

Major Tom: No problems in other games (See WC:SAGA) so i dont think the driver is an issue. It readily detected the the sidewinder and could easily see / remap whatever i wanted.

Rushyo: Good point. I can't come up with any reason a translation / input lag would actually occur. However, the accuracy sort of scared me. I mean, serial connectors have a very finite bandwidth which means lower precision. While i do also use a nice logitech mouse with high resolution for other FPS it's never been a "blame". I just am having a hard time since joysticks have become a little "out of date" that information on the precision side of things is a little thin :P

All will be discovered in due time but im not in the beta so just pure speculation on if i have to invest in a new joystick (or figure out how to use a mouse/keyboard for a mech!?). Wish people could comment on things as im really curious if i should start shopping around for something a little newer :rolleyes:

_Z

#8 light487

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

If it's compatible with your O/S version and the DirectX is detecing it etc etc.. there shouldn't be a problem. The game itself doesn't care.. it might have during the MS-DOS days and early Windows days.. but not anymore.

#9 Zolimox

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Light487: Im referring to precision. I know that if the OS detects it will work fine. Example being, old mice had ridiculously low resolutions compared to modern day mice. Whats the story with Joysticks?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users