Comand Wheel Needs Hotkeys If You Want People Using It Effectively

13 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

It's a simple, but important addition to the command wheel functionality and usability. Holding down a button and then mousing over the correct command can be tricky if you're trying to do it fast or under fire. Being drop commander adds a whole new slew of extra commands to clutter up the wheel. I frequently misclicked when I used it yesterday.

A faster and more accurate way would be a hotkey for each command. So for example if Shift was your Command Wheel pop up button you could do

Shift + E: Enemy Spotted
Shift + H: HELP!
Shift + A: Attack

Etc...

Mouse clicking would remain, but this would improve things greatly.

Edited by Jman5, 22 June 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#2 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

I never had a problem with the commo rose in Battlefield 2 and that game was a lot faster than MWO.

#3 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

I didn't know Battlefield 2 had heat to manage, speed to manage, multiple weapons, ranges, torso and feet direction, reverse and forward(gears), arm lock, etc. I thought it was a simple twitch botter shooter clone, but I guess I was wrong.

To the topic, yes I think the wheel will be easier to use eventually but some comms to keys would be great.

Also half the players that act like their really good on these forums and in game, are not. In fact they are really bad and is the reason that reading their replies it would seem they never played MechWarrior Online before, at least legit.

I am waiting for the reply " But using wall hacks and aim bots takes skill to." Your right I have seen some pathetic piloting from cheats. Not even mediocre. Pathetic. Which I am guessing half the push for no convergence is coming from....

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 June 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#4 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

VGTG

#5 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

I would prefer being able to do it though keys as when I need help I am generally fighting and don't want to drop my aim even for a second to click a thing when I can do a slightly worse job through VOIP and still be able to shoot back.

(slightly worse because no map visual)

#6 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostMerryIguana, on 22 June 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

VGTG

this

#7 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

Just make it like Tribes as well, where pushing a series of buttons gave out an order (or other miscellaneous voice clips).

VGS

There wouldn't be as many commands to go through or buttons to push but the basic idea is still solid.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

Haven't played CounterStrike seriously for about a decade. The radio commands are still in my muscle memory. I wish we had the same thing in MWO.

#9 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

in MW4 they were the Function Keys:
F1 - Attack My Target
F2 - Form up on me
F3 - Go to Nav Point...

Seemed to work well

#10 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostFrontGuard, on 22 June 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

in MW4 they were the Function Keys:
F1 - Attack My Target
F2 - Form up on me
F3 - Go to Nav Point...

Seemed to work well

Oh, wow, I forgot all about that. Now I'm having flashbacks of the single player campaign, where you'd have to tell your dumb AI lance mates to hold a position so they didn't get their faces melted off from clam pokers like ERLL Ryokens and LRM Thors and such.

#11 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:40 PM

I would like (yeah I know Russ mentioned World of Tanks for his inspiration for the Minimap) but a dedicated "Attack my target" button like WoT has. To me it is super useful to do it as with pugs I often just call out over VOIP "Attack Gamma Warhawk" or whatever I want dead ASAP and people respond to it and suddenly there is a dead Warhawk and I get a kill assist.

The rest of the command wheel could go up onto the function buttons or at very least in the keyboard options allow you to bind/rebind them to the function keys for quick access (I mean we don't need F3 for 3rd person, and and F9 is for showing some telemetry for the game like FPS and your position). It would help in my book a lot more. Also switch chat to be hitting enter, then tabbing to swap channel from all, team, lance, and group.

But, that is just my opinion.

#12 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

nearly every game I play with a command system uses the F keys, as default, why not this one

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostCathy, on 22 June 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

nearly every game I play with a command system uses the F keys, as default, why not this one

Gotta reinvent the wheel... because reasons.

#14 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostCathy, on 22 June 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

F key is center legs to torso. I use this key a lot, about equally with my WASD. Also, I have my E key as an alternate throttle type. So my command button is G, and it works very well for me. I have no problem poptarting while micromanging gauss+PPC sync and marking the target as spotted and torso twisting.

View PostJman5, on 22 June 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

It's a simple, but important addition to the command wheel functionality and usability. Holding down a button and then mousing over the correct command can be tricky if you're trying to do it fast or under fire. Being drop commander adds a whole new slew of extra commands to clutter up the wheel. I frequently misclicked...

You don't need to click the buttons. Just flail your mouse wildly in the general direction of the command and it will be highlighted. It will be activated upon releasing your E key.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users