New And Need Help With Mech

New Player Feedback Help Me Question

16 replies to this topic

#1 Drugon squard

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

so i like to play LRM and sniping mech can someone tell me what mech i can buy with money would be good for 1 LRM and 1 sniper mech bundle or just spert plz and ty

#2 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

Well, do you have any preference to IS or Clan? What about weight classes?
Off the top o' me head for LRM lobbers I'd suggest the Mad Dog as it can carry multiple LRM 5's.
It's also got a variant that mounts dual gauss for some snipery, but there are better.
Stormcrows and Shadowcats are swell for laser sniping.
Mebbe someone who knows IS mechs can tell you about something on that side.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

Tons of good mechs for either.

IS lurm boats

Orion VA
Most catapults
Most Archers
Jagermech A
Warhammer 7S
Kintaros
Hunchback 4J
Mauler 1R

For the Clans
Mad Dog
Timberwolf
Ebonjag
Summoner
Stormcrow
The missile Hunchback IIC
The jenner IIc (troll face)

For sniping, well there are a lot of ways to do that.
All you need are long range direct fire weapons and preferably higher weapon mounts

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:01 AM

The Hunchback Mastery bundle will get you a 3 of the most recommended for new players chassis. The Hunchback has a high main weapon mount (good for sniping) and comes in all kinds of variants, most with general ballistics quirks (AC/20, AC/10, Gauss), but there's also a laser vomit version and there's one each for SRM's and LRM's too.

The Mastery pack gets you the Gauss mounting Hero version with its 30% C-bill earnings bonus. Gauss is also the quintessential ballistic sniper weapon. It's quirks still make it the best Hunchback to use gauss with (30% shorter cooldown)

The 4P is a good champion mechs that spews out Medium laser fire like there's no tomorrow (don't fire all at once though, personally I fire the 7 torso mounted ones for a slight extra heatspike, seperately from the arm mounted medium lasers)

The 4SP is best with SRM's but can also do Lrm's well (only 5% less cooldown than a 4J with Lrm 10's).

Hunchbacks are fun and good support mechs that can contribute to any battle. Just don't think yourself an unstoppable avatar of death in them (and start leading charges and such) and they do fine.

#5 Drugon squard

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Thank you all its alot of help im pretty new i understud most of what you guys said [i had to look some of it up]

#6 Drugon squard

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

What do u mean by IS or clan. And wieght class idc just looking for a good mech. I got 2 Lrm 20s and its a terrible mech i was goin to put real money into game to get me 2 nice mechs

#7 Tigven

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostDrugon squard, on 24 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

What do u mean by IS or clan. And wieght class idc just looking for a good mech. I got 2 Lrm 20s and its a terrible mech i was goin to put real money into game to get me 2 nice mechs

All mechs in MWO are one of two: IS (InnerSphere) or Clan.
IS uses slightly different weapons than Clan, and also differs in how you choose equipment (how you customize your mech).

People ask you about weight class, because a LRM medium mech and LRM Assault do typically play quite differently. One has less armor/ammunition, the other one is much slower and probably has no Jump-Jets.

Edited by Tigven, 24 June 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#8 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

IS = Inner Sphere
Equipment needs more slots, more tons or does less damage, has less range. But IS mechs have more quirks to equalize this, their heat capacity is higher, and the weapons are easier to use: LRMs fire in a bunch instead of in a stream of 5s, auto cannons fire one slug instead of several, laser do their damage in a shorter amount of time. Most of this makes hitting for the full potential easier.
IS only has BattleMechs, with fixed hard points and free choice of reactors, armor types (normal / ferro) and internal structure types (normal / endo).

Clan weapons are lighter, use less slots and usually have higher range but take more skill to do the full potential damage. In addition the heat capacity is lower per heat sink, which usually leads to faster overheating. Heat dissipation is better than IS though.
All clan mechs except the type IICs and the Kodiak are OmniMechs, which means they have fixed reactors, armor types and internal types, but you can switch hard points by switching OmniPods. This allows for more choices in the hard points of the Mechs.

I can't comment on LRM mechs as I don't like them. Otherwise if you are willing to pay real money take a look at the Warhammer or Marauder packages, they offer pretty good IS heavies which allow laser and ballistic builds.

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

View PostDrugon squard, on 24 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

Hi and welcome, as for your question about LRM mechs, well some are better at it than others. How ever it is very, very important to state that the long you play, the more you will find LRM's become less and less effective against better pilots.

That happens either through the following ways:

ECM (Electronic Counter Measures)

A piece of equipment that can be mounted on some mechs it either weighs 1t or 1.5t depending if it is the Clan or IS model, it effectively makes the mech invisible to basic targeting sensors beyond a specific range. This is countered by active probes, another piece of equipment that can be mounted on any mech, also a must have for most LRM (long Range Missile) and SSRM (Streak Short Range Missile) mechs.

Radar Deprivation Module

This is an advanced piece of equipment that takes GXP and several million C-bills to unlock, once acquired and mounted in a module slot it makes your mech drop off of senors once line of sight is broken, this can be mitigated some what by Target Retention module.

Anti Missile System (AMS)

AMS is .5t piece of equipment that reduces the number of missiles hitting a target, not 100% effective, but lance of dedicated AMS mechs (read with 2-3 AMS units each) can effectively shut down a volley of LRM's. It is also worth pointing out that Clan LRM's are more vulnerable to AMS due to their streaming launch nature than the IS cluster launches nature.

Now we delve into the nuances of LRM's. A pair of LRM/20 launchers are less efficient than a pair of LRM/15 launchers, this is due to the spread of the missiles when landing at the target, a LRM/20 will miss with between 5-10 missiles, putting what damage it does across the entire target with what missiles do hit. Generally speaking, smaller launchers are better than bigger launchers, this is mostly due to accuracy and cool down speeds.

Before really settling on a mech, spend some time over at http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ as they are the unofficial place for testing builds before you actually commit to anything.

#10 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 24 June 2016 - 12:01 AM, said:

The Hunchback Mastery bundle will get you a 3 of the most recommended for new players chassis. The Hunchback has a high main weapon mount (good for sniping) and comes in all kinds of variants, most with general ballistics quirks (AC/20, AC/10, Gauss), but there's also a laser vomit version and there's one each for SRM's and LRM's too.

The Mastery pack gets you the Gauss mounting Hero version with its 30% C-bill earnings bonus. Gauss is also the quintessential ballistic sniper weapon. It's quirks still make it the best Hunchback to use gauss with (30% shorter cooldown)

The 4P is a good champion mechs that spews out Medium laser fire like there's no tomorrow (don't fire all at once though, personally I fire the 7 torso mounted ones for a slight extra heatspike, seperately from the arm mounted medium lasers)

The 4SP is best with SRM's but can also do Lrm's well (only 5% less cooldown than a 4J with Lrm 10's).

Hunchbacks are fun and good support mechs that can contribute to any battle. Just don't think yourself an unstoppable avatar of death in them (and start leading charges and such) and they do fine.

^THIS is the best starting point.

If you're looking at lights, there is not really anything for LRMing because, lights. But RVNs are fantastic snipers (Dual ERLL) and the RVN 3L is quirked for missiles and Narcs sooo kinda could do the job. But the HBK is much more n00b friendly with the wider variety of options between varients (1 ballistic, 1 Missile, 1 Laser) and it is a STD engine friendly mech (read, cheap to work with as a noob because XL engines are PAINFULLY expensive as you start), they also have some very good meta options and teach good mech discipline (twisting, etc...).

#11 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostProfPyro, on 23 June 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

Well, do you have any preference to IS or Clan? What about weight classes?
Off the top o' me head for LRM lobbers I'd suggest the Mad Dog as it can carry multiple LRM 5's.
It's also got a variant that mounts dual gauss for some snipery, but there are better.
Stormcrows and Shadowcats are swell for laser sniping.
Mebbe someone who knows IS mechs can tell you about something on that side.

I'd recommend against the Mad Dog for Gauss--the mounts are too low to snipe effectively.

SHC on the other hand, is known for its Gauss config, and also has lots of missile slots.

#12 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:32 AM

I suspect a troll post here. The OP isn't giving us any details or answering any questions. Until that happens, nothing to see here. If you aren't a troll, I apologize.

Also, typing on your phone and NOT running spell check or using proper grammar or punctuation makes me very cranky.

Edited by mailin, 25 June 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#13 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:50 AM

View Postmailin, on 25 June 2016 - 12:32 AM, said:

I suspect a troll post here. The OP isn't giving us any details or answering any questions. Until that happens, nothing to see here. If you aren't a troll, I apologize.

Also, typing on your phone and NOT running spell check or using proper grammar or punctuation makes me very cranky.

Or maybe hes just Language other than English. There are people out there that speak other languages. Regardless he's made three posts all in this thread, no need to make new players feel unwelcome, we all know we need them...

#14 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:22 AM

Which is why I apologized if he's not a troll. Spelling errors I can ignore because it may be from a non-native English speaker. But when it says "plz" and "ty" I get skeptical.

#15 Poundcake

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:40 AM

Look into Catapolts, Stalkers, and Jaegers. If I had to pick one Id take a Stalker.

Start with IS then decide if you want to try Clan.

#16 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

View Postmailin, on 25 June 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Which is why I apologized if he's not a troll. Spelling errors I can ignore because it may be from a non-native English speaker. But when it says "plz" and "ty" I get skeptical.

Lol, as a nub he doesn't yet understand the protocols of the MWO forums, where the primary, secondary, and tertiary priorities are to make your interlocutors feel like shi*t.

Hence the "please and thank you."

#17 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

These guys have already given you great advice, so I will just take the easy road and say: Welcome to MWO!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users