Should The Dwf Get Some Structure Buffs?

59 replies to this topic

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

its a 100Ton Brick(Square)
it only Goes 48kph(52kps Tweaked)

for being a Slow Assault it gets No Structure Buffs,
But Why? the reason its an OmniMech,

OmniMech means it can Choose to Carry Stupid amounts of weapons,
but it also means it cant Remove its Locked Equipment(DHS & Engine),

I think it needs Structure Buffs Why?

1) its Slow, Speeds a Major Problem for the DWF,
its almost always left behind by the team, and then has to Fend for its self(Lights)
and Organized teams rarely take it because its so slow and their are better Options,

2) it can Carry Lots of Energy BUT,
it just cant pack enough DHS to Cool Everything it can Hold,
whats the Point on Carrying 8ERLL if you Melt trying to Fire them even 2 at a Time,
whats the Point of Carrying 15possable Energy, if you cant hope to Fill all the Slots,
Let alone Cool even half the Slots you Fill(even 8-10MPL(Fired 4-5 a time) is too Hot)

3) it Can Carry Lots of Dakka BUT,
that itself if also Limited, it can Run 4UAC10s but you only get 50Shots,
and thats assuming Only Ammo, no Extra DHS to stop you from over heating,
also you have to Face your Target and Space your Fire if you want to Stay Cool,
6UAC5 Build? 40Shots, its good for Shake but Runs out of Ammo before Long,

4) Other Mechs that Can do the DWFs Roles, but Better and move Faster,
many of these Mechs have these Structure Buffs, and thats Ok,

5) it has the Smallest Turn Angle of Any Mech,
a Fact it Shares with the BLR-1G/3M & STK-3H/4N/5M/5S,
Though those Mechs Have Quirks to Compensate(Weapon/Mobility),

Everything Considered, i think its time we Buff the DWFs Structure,
its Slow, Bulky, Cumbersome, Weak, Feeble,

a Good Mech if you Get the Jump on others, or have a Good Position,
but its speed makes it hard to get into Position, and getting Kill in Route,

is it Finally the right time to Put an End to Calling the DWF OP,
can this Mech Finally see some Love to give it a Chance in a Highly Mobile Meta,
or should we let it die for reasons that it ONCE was OP,

Edit-
I know Some will say that they do Fine in the DWF, that with any Buff they will be amazing,
and thats ok, persoanlly i did great in my Nova, before therescale, and am doing amazing after,
but me doing Great in a Nova doesnt mean it didnt need to Be helped and Rescaled,

just please Consider that Even though you may do Great in the DWF,
many others may not, and if the Amount of people that cant do Good in it out weigh those who Can,
then it should be helped even just alittle, which it why i ask theCommunity the Question- DWF Buff?

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 24 June 2016 - 06:10 AM.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:05 PM

Structure quirks would help it, but mobility quirks would save it.

#3 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:16 PM

You have to wait, our decision making dartboard is broken and there is a severe shortage of decision making dartboard engineers.
We are working on it.

#4 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

I agree that DWF needs some structure / armor buff. In general, my feeling is that TTK for assault is too low and need to be raised, expecially for 100 tonners.

#5 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:40 PM

NO.

Im primarily a solo Q player and even there find no issue with the mechs tankiness or speed.

The Direwolf is still my 2nd highest K/D ratio. Its a powerhouse if played properly.

Edited by Ace Selin, 23 June 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#6 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:42 PM

There are too many quirks in general.

What we need, is actual PROPER balancing and not just slapping quirks on everything.

#7 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:06 AM

If you gave it structure along the lines of 10/14/20 so 10 on arms 14 on legs and shoulders and 20 on the CT it would go a long way. However if you gave it mobility quirks you could easily reduce the buffs needed. The primary weakness of the Direwolf is that anything, and I mean ANYTHING, can out turn it. It is seriously like trying to move through molasses. If they gave it a buff to 55 kph and 30 on turn and twist it would be usable in its current capacity I think. Without the mobility it would need the crazy structure buffs because you get plenty of time to pick any body part you want to remove. Pity I actually likes the Direwolf quite a lot.

#8 Android5000

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:16 AM

Weapons speed or armor... Choose 2. Buff the Warhawk at the same time.

#9 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 23 June 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

The Direwolf is still my 2nd highest K/D ratio. Its a powerhouse if played properly.

I saw a Direwolf hiding behind a rock for almost the entire game doing a lot of damage with long range weapon (dual gauss and LLs). While it's a legit tactic, I do not think it's the way an assault is meant to be played.
My 2 cents.

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 23 June 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

There are too many quirks in general.

What we need, is actual PROPER balancing and not just slapping quirks on everything.

Yes and no, I agree that we need to reduce the quirks to the minimum and only for balancing purposes, but take into consideration:
1) using the values of Battletech TT game, the TTKs for each mech would be ridiculous. In the TT the damage is spreaded randomly, in the MW games I can hit a Direwolf where I want with accurate pinpoint damage.
2) we need to have buffs because we do not have B.V. of mechs like in the TT. So, if a medium has to be competitive against a Clan mech of the same weight class, we need some sort of buffs to reduce the gap.

NB
I've almost solo killed a Direwolf with a Blackjack 1X in the sub 300 range... With the new nerfed blackjack increased in size. It does not feel right IMHO. DWF it's too slow, you can outflank it without problems. If it has to stay with this mobility, it needs to became tougher to kill IMHO.

Again, my 2 cents.

#10 BattleGnome

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:44 AM

Honestly, all it really needs to make it fun again is to give it torso twist yaw rate quirks and a slight increase in torso twist angle. Basically, undo the soft nerf to the pilot skill tree which made it fun to play.

Although, structure quirk buffs would be hilarious.

Edited by BattleGnome, 24 June 2016 - 12:44 AM.

#11 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:10 AM

I smile a little every time I see one of these threads. I am a Dire wolf pilot. Unlike many others, 95 percent of my matches since the clans were released have been in a dire wolf.

I don't get left behind, ever. I don't ask my team to slow up, ever. I can face tank an atlas or kodiak with my build and usually win (almost always in the kodiaks case). I can paste lights so fast that they hardly get time to do damage, especially after the rescale.

No, the dire wolf doesn't need structure buffs. Or any other quirks. If I had the mobility of a kodiak with the omni pods of a Dire wolf, I would never die. Those that complain about the dire wolf want to boat. The dire wolf is not designed to boat. It is the ultimate rainbow build mech and the only one I've tried that really pulls it off
I carry 6 ER small lasers. That's 30 damage at 230 range for 18 heat for 3 tons payload. On cold maps that is about 14 percent of my heat scale. On warmer ones it's about 24 percent. I carry 4 UAC 5 with 10 tons of ammo. I've never run out of ammo. I carry either 2 LRM10 or 2 srm6 depending on my mood and 4 tons of ammo for them. I rarely run out. I usually do between 600 and 1500 damage per match. I drop in CW all the time and rarely end up using my fluff mechs much.

No, the dire wolf is fine as is. You just need to learn how to use it and how to build it toward it's strengths.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 24 June 2016 - 04:34 AM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

I've got 4 Dire Wolves, I'm fine with them where they are. People are just losing perspective because the top IS assault mechs and the Kodiak makes other assault mechs look bad.

Just nerf the most OP assault mechs and stop the power creep. Before you ask about the DW structure quirks, let's discuss the KDK structure quirks. Before we talk about DW acceleration quirks, let's discuss the KDK acceleration quirks.

#13 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:23 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 23 June 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

This. The torso turn range is awful as hell and for me unplayable.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 June 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

Before we talk about DW acceleration quirks, let's discuss the KDK acceleration quirks.

Good reason but at least, increase the torso turn range and make it even with other assaults (hello King Crab godlike torso turn range).

Edited by Steve Pryde, 24 June 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#14 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:38 AM

I think there's merit to this argument. Kodiak has made the Direwolf entirely obsolete due to having higher mounts, better speed, and some structure quirks. Just look at the tournament decks, the classes may as well be: Light, Medium, Assault, Kodiak.

On a semi related note, the exceptions are the 85 ton Mauler, and the Executioner with MASC. Speedy assaults for wins?

#15 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:17 AM

Sure, but they should give those quirks on less used omni pods. Same for others, the lesser used pods should get the better quirks. Usually this would mean trading some firepower then for more stats, imo it would balance things out a bit.

Edited by CK16, 24 June 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#16 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:36 AM

DWF could benefit from having acceleration quirks and a wider maximum degree of torso twist.

To help balance it against the KDK.

#17 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:44 AM

I'd rather see assaults get tanky as **** with more offensive capabilities that need support than agile, self sufficient, bigger heavies. The classes each need a reason to play and a specific feel to add variety to the game.

I do agree Dires need some ST structure, I'm not afraid to face them in any light and a few mediums, especially if you can get 1 or 2 shots off first.

#18 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

I know Some will say that they do Fine in the DWF, that with any Buff they will be amazing,
and thats ok, persoanlly i did great in my Nova, before therescale, and am doing amazing after,
but me doing Great in a Nova doesnt mean it didnt need to Be helped and Rescaled,

just please Consider that Even though you may do Great in the DWF,
many others may not, and if the Amount of people that cant do Good in it out weigh those who Can,
then it should be helped even just alittle, which it why i ask theCommunity the Question- DWF Buff?

#19 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

I think either a modest structure buff or agility buff would be a good start. If the engine was unlocked, I imagine most people would immediately upgrade it to at least an XL350, so there should be some compensation to bring it back up to par. There's really nothing the DW can do that the Kodiak can't, despite the latter's larger front profile.

#20 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,783 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

Mobility quirks are nice, but they won't save the Whale, sorry.

The problem is still its firepower doesn't have the reach it used to, and the Clan DHS change from the rebalance hindered how often you can fire (heat gen quirks and ERML range plox). Next on my list would be some torso structure quirks because it is meant to be a turret for the most part, like the Mauler.

View PostCK16, on 24 June 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

Sure, but they should give those quirks on less used omni pods. Same for others, the lesser used pods should get the better quirks. Usually this would mean trading some firepower then for more stats, imo it would balance things out a bit.

It wont, having less firepower means you shouldn't take the Whale to begin with, you would need some super quirks to make those lesser pods worth even bothering with on the Whale.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 24 June 2016 - 06:38 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users