Is Intel Missions

9 replies to this topic

#1 Ceesa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBoston, USA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

I've been away from the game for a while, so I was interested when I saw that there was an intel gathering mission in CW. I mainly play IS mechs (because that's what I have), so I was wondering if there is any combination of IS mechs that are supposed to be able to beat 4 stormcrows. I tried going toe to toe with them and I've tried outrunning them, but nothing seems to work. I think I'm done with these missions unless I'm missing something here. Any advice?

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Pretty much any 55 tonner, a BJ, anything not Terribad for the most part

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostCeesa, on 27 June 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

I've been away from the game for a while, so I was interested when I saw that there was an intel gathering mission in CW. I mainly play IS mechs (because that's what I have), so I was wondering if there is any combination of IS mechs that are supposed to be able to beat 4 stormcrows. I tried going toe to toe with them and I've tried outrunning them, but nothing seems to work. I think I'm done with these missions unless I'm missing something here. Any advice?

1. Do it the orthodox way. Try 2xASRM6 + 5SPL HBK-4SP. Blow up Crows' legs, or just straight out murder them.

2. Do it the unorthodox way. Get a Locust-1V with Std 190 engine (weapons not required) and full armor. Just cap all the intels since those Crows will be looking for you, not the intels. No matter which side of the scouting mission you play, it is the amount of intel points that truly matters.

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:37 PM

Std 250 engine Crabs with dual AMS, 2LL, 3ML, and max armor. Add heat sinks to taste.

#5 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:02 AM

Anything that is fast and can kill fast. Pulse lasers and SRMs. My go-to ride is a Griffin 2N (2 flamers, 4ASRM4), but I've had good luck with a Shadowhawk 2D2 (AC10, 4SRM4).

#6 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostCeesa, on 27 June 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

Yes there is and IS cant lose against 4 Storm Crows for intel gather and defend.

Its simple.

Take fastest mechs.

On gather spread out from drop and get the intel asap. Then evade until dropship comes, run into pick up at last seconds. Even if one mech makes it this far its possible and even easier if more than 1 does.

On defense, get the intel and force the dropship asap so they don't get much intel....

It will be a war of attrition instead of victories and defeats but the IS will come out ahead because of amounts of intel gathered.

I do this even if other 3 on my team do literally nothing the entire match... a legit team of 4 can do this 100%. Yes intel gather can be won 1 v 4. Ive done it a couple times, although intel gathered isn't vey much.

This is against 4 Storm Crows, if they mix it up its more complicated, but it can be done.

I should add running into the drop at the last second takes some practice. basically sit 20 seconds out and go at precise moment.... Works like a charm, they have very tough time stopping that.

Edited by Johnny Z, 28 June 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#7 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

Either outrun them or outbrawl them.

Take a Standard engine if you're going to be a brawler, and remember. You only have 4 enemies in scouting and can get by with a lot less ammo than QP.

There are a lot of good AC/20 and SRM quirked IS mediums, I would suggest you utilize those. Whatever the AC/20 Shadowhawk is has something like 35% faster rof on the AC/20 after module.

I don't recommend an XL griffin, though I always see them. I suppose they are forgiving for keeping up with whatever a pug team brings, and they have some firepower, but their survivability is trash (as are all IS XL mediums) in scouting where everyone has brawl builds. I would encourage more specialization even if it means not being ideal against a fast enemy team. Usually you can get a couple scout missions one right after the other, and change or not change your mech according to who you just fought.

Stormcrows don't usually have very asymmetric builds, and if you take off an ST, their firepower is often severely diminished, though there are a few weird arm omnipods if someone wants to put 6 lasers in a single arm.

#8 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

IS AC20 is brutal against Clan mediums. As are IS artemis SRMs. Don't take a light mech, and streakcrows are rendered largely useless. As awful as it is for me to say this, you have the weapon systems at your fingertips to kneecap Clan mechs way, way easier than we can kneecap you. So... shoot for the legs.

#9 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

I'll put a shad 2xac5 3xsrm2 against a Scrow, or Griffin for that matter, all day any day. If you don't suck with ACs you can often strip most of 1 Scrows armor solo before he's in missile range. Up close you're like 17 DPS, cool running and SRM2s are reasonably accurate.

A couple Shads, a couple Griffins or a grif+oxide will destroy Scrow teams all day. The problem is that pugging in scout is terribad and bad IS pugs are no match for bad Clan pugs in Scrows.

#10 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 28 June 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'll put a shad 2xac5 3xsrm2 against a Scrow, or Griffin for that matter, all day any day. If you don't suck with ACs you can often strip most of 1 Scrows armor solo before he's in missile range. Up close you're like 17 DPS, cool running and SRM2s are reasonably accurate.

A couple Shads, a couple Griffins or a grif+oxide will destroy Scrow teams all day. The problem is that pugging in scout is terribad and bad IS pugs are no match for bad Clan pugs in Scrows.

Can confirm. PUG spheroids are potatoes in standard engine Commandos who think "evasive actions" constitute throwing it into reverse and running in a straight line.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users