#1 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hello.

I have been playing MW:O during 2nd CB ( the 10k Player injection I think ), and first Stages of OB, then stopped for about 3 1/2 years . Came back some weeks ago, and am absolutely delighted by what the Game has become . Because I like it so much, I am eager to give PGI some money to keep it running and make it even better.

I am asking you guys for your opinions and suggestions .

CWwise, I am a non Faction loyal Merc...so either IS or Clan would be ok . In terms of Game experience...up until now, I have almost exclusively played Jenners. But I have also elited HBKs, and have some experience with Pults. I also own 2 Atlai, (F) & (L), and a KingCrab, also the Loyalty Version .I am by no means restricted to any WeightClass, want to try out as many Mechs as possible eventually .

How high can I go ? Well, I was considering buying one of the complete 70$ or even 85$ Packages . Its just....I have no Idea which Mech is really worth it . Meaning, I cant tell whether their Hardpoints etc. are any good for CW...or even PUG ( which I mostly played up to now ) .

Generally, I have no shortage of Cbills ( Elite Founders Pack came with 4 +30% Mechs XD ) . My account has 140kk+ atmo . So I dont necessarily need any CBBonus Mech - though ofc they don't hurt . I was also considering any mastery Package, but have the same decision Problem as with the other ShopPacks...I just have no clue whats good/working in as many Situations as possible, and what not .

Any idea/opinion/suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you .

#2 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

I was told the Ebon Jaguar Pack was the best deal, but it's way outside my price range.

The Mastery Bundles seem to be good deals if you know which IS mech you want.

The Steam Light performance pack is on sale for 40% off. Two mechs, 30 days premium time, 1500 MC, some Cbills. You do have to play through steam to redeem the pack to your account. I'm enjoying the two mechs and the premium time. Edit: D'oh, need to read the whole post. You probably don't need +CB mechs.

Edited by Keltan, 27 June 2016 - 10:07 AM.

#3 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

Look at one of the $20 packs, like the warhammer or marauder or even the kodiak. all are good solid mechs. You could get all 3 packs for $60 minus the hero mechs that are $15 each. But i think that would be a better option than one of the big packs that has a mech for every weight class. a lot of those have 1 or 2 good mech chassis then a couple subpar ones.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

First - and by far most importantly:
Posted Image

#5 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

best advice ever, don't put a single real penny in MWO.

play as normal and with events you will get the boost for cbills.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 June 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

Hello.

I have been playing MW:O during 2nd CB ( the 10k Player injection I think ), and first Stages of OB, then stopped for about 3 1/2 years . Came back some weeks ago, and am absolutely delighted by what the Game has become . Because I like it so much, I am eager to give PGI some money to keep it running and make it even better.

I am asking you guys for your opinions and suggestions .

CWwise, I am a non Faction loyal Merc...so either IS or Clan would be ok . In terms of Game experience...up until now, I have almost exclusively played Jenners. But I have also elited HBKs, and have some experience with Pults. I also own 2 Atlai, (F) & (L), and a KingCrab, also the Loyalty Version .I am by no means restricted to any WeightClass, want to try out as many Mechs as possible eventually .

How high can I go ? Well, I was considering buying one of the complete 70$ or even 85$ Packages . Its just....I have no Idea which Mech is really worth it . Meaning, I cant tell whether their Hardpoints etc. are any good for CW...or even PUG ( which I mostly played up to now ) .

Generally, I have no shortage of Cbills ( Elite Founders Pack came with 4 +30% Mechs XD ) . My account has 140kk+ atmo . So I dont necessarily need any CBBonus Mech - though ofc they don't hurt . I was also considering any mastery Package, but have the same decision Problem as with the other ShopPacks...I just have no clue whats good/working in as many Situations as possible, and what not .

Any idea/opinion/suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you .

In general, you can find out what the perceived meta mechs are at, well, Metamechs.com. This isn't all Gospel, but it will give you an idea of the types and kinds of 'mechs that are doing well right now. That might change due to the rescale that just happened, however - lots of 'mechs got resized, and the implications are still hashing out.

For my part, I'd recommend any of the $20 packs but the Archer (you still see them around, but they're not as popular) - but spring for a Hero; they're worth it. My Marauder pack was an excellent purchase, and the best money I've spent on the game since my Overlord package. The Kodiak is a solid choice - the KDK-3 is the hands-down favorite for Overpowered Mech of the Month, due to its speed, humanoid frame, and the massive power of quad UAC/10s. Expect it to be nerfed (probably by losing structure quirks) soon, but from the outside, the entire chassis still looks solid.

As for the older, progressively tiered Clan Packages, well, just buy the 'mechs for C-bills. The Timber Wolf, Ebon Jaguar, Hellbringer, Stormcrow, and Arctic Cheetah and Jenner IIC are all solid choices, while the other released Clan 'mechs are less loved. Just remember that the Pilot skills (particularly doubling the heat skills in Basic) are much more important to many Clan builds than they are to the Inner Sphere.

#7 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

For IS, I would recommend either the Warhammer or Marauder packs. Both are great mechs and the Warhammer hero is awesome. The Marauder hero isn't bad, but not nearly as good as the Black Widow. Another good IS option is the Resistance 2 pack, 4 great mechs although 3 of them are exclusively energy boats.

#8 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

well if you wanna drop some money... could you drop it somewhere into my account? maybe gift me a mech pack or something?

i promise I will like totally like it!

#9 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

http://www.urbandict...ine.php?term=kk

Edit reason: flood in my house

Edited by ExoForce, 27 June 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Buy LOTS of mechbays and just get what you want with c-bills or a few hero mechs.

As it stands the majority of the best mechs in the game are available for c-bills.

Matter of fact the only mech that stands out right now that cant be purchased for c-bills (yet) is the Kodiak.

So if you do not want to wait til August, then I suppose get the Kodiak pack (strongly urge you to get the Hero too).

#11 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

A founder with 80 dollars and 140k cbills who already has jenners, hunchbacks and pair of Hero atlas mechs.

Well let me say this. Had I known faction play was going to turn out like it has with the penaltyS for switching loyalty from clan to innersphere I would have had 2 accounts, one clan loyalist for jade falcon, and another innersphere loyalist (probably FRR cause F-yeah space viking!!) If I were you, I would buy some combination (or all )of the following and stick to innersphere mechs.

Warhammer, probably would forget buying the base pack and just get 6R and 6s for cbills, buying a Black widow for MC. BUT if you do go all in and spend 35 bucks here you won't be disappointed. Great mechs in quick play, and a solid base for a FW dropdeck by adding a jenner. I have insane amounts of exp beyond mastery slots on those 3 mechs.

Maurader I would spend 40 here , just because the special variant is the 3R and I absolutely love that particular chassis as a cbill farmer. But 20 bucks would still be worth it at first. I don't feel the hero is worth the 15, its the only one of the 4 I didn't have 40k plus extra exp on this morning cause even with max engine ito so slooooooww . You could grab them for cbills though.

The Locust Hero Pirates Bane!!!!, for a few measly dollars you can be the piloting the mech everyone loves to hate on right now!!!! The mech really is 20 tons of fun, fly by the seat of your pants insanity. Buy 2 more for cbills, share the xl engine and lvl them up. It seems you already like jenners, this mech is faster and more annoying!!

An Atlas DDC for Cbills. The ECM atlas is a great addition to your quick play warehouse of mechs. You already have 2 you can't get rid of, mind as well get a third and open up your assault skills by eliting all 3. It is a quick play powerhouse once you get used to it, and if your like me you will find yourself riding in it more often than the founder or loyalty cbill grinders.

Any money's left over I would invest in MC to buy mechbays as I needed. Note that If you need/want premium time buy a pack , locust is 13 bucks and has 30 days, and the others are 20 and have 30 days as well.

#12 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

Wow .

Thanks for all the informative replies so far . Loads of good suggestions to look at . I especially like the suggestions to spread my purchases instead of going for one big Pack .

Warhammer, Marauder, Kodiak are interesting. I'd like to know whether the Spirit Bear is deemed to be worth it ?

Keltan mentions EbonJag pack - a Mech I see a lot ingame, and performing really well . I do not find a Pack for that Mech, am I dumb, blind, or both ?

In addition, what about other Lights, and Mediums ?

Is any of the current preorder Packs worth it ? Meaning, any of those Mechs considered really good ?

Edited by Besh, 27 June 2016 - 11:12 PM.

#13 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:30 PM

The Clan wave 3 pack in the store up top here has the ebon jaguar, the shadowcat and the Arctic cheetah. All 3 are mechs that you see often because all 3 are great mechs. For 90 dollars you get 3 of each, (one each will be a hero type mecj) the mechbays for them, and 3 faction packs that once selected give you 3 sets of cockpit fluff, 3 faction camo schemes and 9 paint colors. It's not a bad deal at all if you want to buy clan mechs for FW.

The spirit bear and Kodiak mech are worth 35. The KDK 1 and 2 are kin of like a bigger faster awesome, the KDK 3 is like a bigger faster mauler, and the spirit bear is very much like an atlas 7 or DDC.

The Night Gyr is probably going to be pretty good as far as pre orders go. No real way of knowing till it hits the servers.

#14 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:00 AM

Right, thanks again Rhavin .

re. Clan Mechs in general...I am a bit curious as to your suggestion to stick to IS Mechs . That aside, despite the EJ, Cheetah, ShadowCat and Kodiak, are there any recommendations re. Clan Chassis ?

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

View PostEaerie, on 27 June 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

Look at one of the $20 packs, like the warhammer or marauder or even the kodiak. all are good solid mechs. You could get all 3 packs for $60 minus the hero mechs that are $15 each. But i think that would be a better option than one of the big packs that has a mech for every weight class. a lot of those have 1 or 2 good mech chassis then a couple subpar ones.

Well, this is not a bad idea, as you can cherry pick mechs.. But after looking at packages lately, For me the Clan wave III pack is a great deal. 120 dollars.. The clan origins is 80 bucks, But in the end they are not omni mechs, so that means you will need to spend more money on engines to change load outs.

Wave III IMO has 4 great mechs. While some may not like the shadow cat, Or Executioner, because of non-boating type builds, meaning they typically carry less weapons, but they are larger, they both have MASC which makes the extremely fast. wve 3 also comes with 4 camo patterns used on all 12 mechs, AND comes with 12 colors unlocked. It also comes with the arctic cheeta, and the Ebon Jag, both considered some of the best mechs in the game. (you could make a drop deck with just those 2 and have a lot of fun) I've been playing for years now, and only recently gotten into clan side, mainly playing timber wolves, and the EXE, but i also have stormcrow and nova's too. But the EXE is really my favorite out of the bunch and i don't even have it elited yet. (saving money to buy this pack actually even though i have 2 EXE's and an ARC already.. main reason is they come with mech-bays, colors, and camo, and will have 4 mechs with a +30 c-bill booster.. and save me a ton of c-bills i can use to kid out my nova's and stormcrows i already bought.

the origins package, has 4 mechs, that peoples millage will vary, but people do like the jenner, and HBK II, peoples thoughts on the orion and highlander are mixed but they can carry some interesting builds, but like i said are not omni mechs, and more IS retreads with Clan weapons. It also comes with the 4 extra camo's but this package has 24 colors! and is 80 bucks. I the end i decided against this package mainly because my IS and clan accounts are separate, and i wanted omni mechs.

As far as not spending money.. Ok.. you don't have to, but after playing all these years and starting a fresh clan account a while back, you really must ask yourself how much is your time worth.. To earn say 12 mechs from wave III, will cost you around 150m.. which could mean playing as many as 1000-1500 matches... which could take some people 6+ months. Sure it is fun, but often working at it that hard to make money is just a huge chore..

You can also just end up saving that money, to buy modules, or bank it for down the road when a mech goes on sale, or something you really want comes around.. Or by the time you get bored with all of those, you have gobs of cash to go buy a new toy, and skip that feeling of, you never will stop grinding.

Like i said, i've been playing IS for years.. have over 50 mechs IS side, by spending 100 bucks most of it for mech bays, and colors, outside of about 6 heroes i picked up on sale... My clan account is about 6 months old, SO far i spend 30 and bought a timber champion, and got a few mechs on c-bill sale.. But picking up the 120 dollar package, so i can focus on just saving and getting modules is making life way easier..

One last thing.. the wave III package, along with the other larger packages, all have one model, that also gets a +30% c-bill booster, which stacks with premium time, really helping you grind extra money. The 20 dollar packages DO not have that booster, you have to spend the extra 15 dollars at least, (35) to get one that has a hero bonus..

IS side also has 4 mech packages, that comes with camo and colors too.. But i just found wave III to be the best combo of mechs out of all of them.. even if it is clan side Posted Image

Let me just add one thing.. Every mech really has it's fans, and others their haters.. I never buy a mech based on what is considered the Best, or worst, or quirks.. I have so many mechs that i have played non-stop for years that have come in and out of style.. LIke the IS catapult.. considered one of the worst IS heavies around for years.. Yet it is my most played mech, and outside of my TDR-5SS my highest rated mech.. I've had the same build since i bought it, through nerfs and buffs.. and i always have had fun in them. But now they are shining again, and people hopping on that band wagon.. and i'm sitting here.. I dunno where you have been but these things have been great all along!

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 June 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostBesh, on 27 June 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Wow .

Keltan mentions EbonJag pack - a Mech I see a lot ingame, and performing really well . I do not find a Pack for that Mech, am I dumb, blind, or both ?

Umm blind or dumb take your pick.. I wont be mean and say both! :P

https://mwomercs.com/wavethree I kid, i kid..

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:34 AM

>Hello.

Hi

>I have been playing MW:O during 2nd CB ( the 10k Player injection I think ), and first Stages of OB, then stopped for about 3 >1/2 years . Came back some weeks ago, and am absolutely delighted by what the Game has become . Because I like it so >much, I am eager to give PGI some money to keep it running and make it even better.

>I am asking you guys for your opinions and suggestions .

WB and while I'm cautionary positive about the direction the game goes in general, I also do wonder where a returning player would see big differences to the MWO of closed beta (save some of the corefeatures for a mech simulation that are now missing, physics, R&R, no looting) Sure maps, mechs and two differnt approaches to just go and kill all enemys. Still no KIs, no missions, no long term incentives in FW ( CW is now called FW )

>CWwise, I am a non Faction loyal Merc...so either IS or Clan would be ok . In terms of Game experience...up until now, I have >almost exclusively played Jenners. But I have also elited HBKs, and have some experience with Pults. I also own 2 Atlai, (F) & >(L), and a KingCrab, also the Loyalty Version .I am by no means restricted to any WeightClass, want to try out as many Mechs >as possible eventually .

Since you seem to be used to IS tech I would suggest to stay there to avoid beeing frustrated fast.
Clan tech plays quite different in many hard to grasp ways. (lower heatcap, lighter weapons, smaler sinks...etc. lots of smal stuff to be taken in account)
While recently beeing nerfed by a size normalisation pass on all mechs performed by PGI the Jenner is still a mech that can pack a punch. But be warned about spreadfire, weapons, Clan Streak SRMs and pulselaser boats. Huchies are still rock solid performers while they may not excell. Atlas are tanky brawlers if you can play them, K.C.s are durable high dps monsters.

>How high can I go ? Well, I was considering buying one of the complete 70$ or even 85$ Packages . Its just....I have no Idea >which Mech is really worth it . Meaning, I cant tell whether their Hardpoints etc. are any good for CW...or even PUG ( which I >mostly played up to now ) .

There are two IS packages with all 4 Mech classes. Resistance 1+2. With the recent size and quirk changes I wouldn't buy one of them since both packages contain mechs that have been or soon will be pretty much obsolete. There also is a change to the heatsystem coming up. While its main goal is to reduce the high alpha, and create incentives for for chainfiring and make multi weapon type loadouts viable I fear it will simply render energy type loadouts obsolete.

>Generally, I have no shortage of Cbills ( Elite Founders Pack came with 4 +30% Mechs XD ) . My account has 140kk+ atmo . >So I dont necessarily need any CBBonus Mech - though ofc they don't hurt . I was also considering any mastery Package, but >have the same decision Problem as with the other ShopPacks...I just have no clue whats good/working in as many Situations >as possible, and what not .

>Any idea/opinion/suggestion will be much appreciated.

Since the best mechs in both Resistance packs are the Grasshopper and Black Knight, both mechs would be useless once the heat system revision comes.
My suggestion would be going with single mechs you like. Don't buy Resistance packs.
Marauder is a decent choice, the Warhammer too, Riflemans are a bit special, Catapults got a new 3D model and are now a blast to pilot.
In the medium department Shadowhawks, Griffins and Blackjacks still are a thing.
For the light mechs everything except Commando, Panther and Urbanmech.

If you insist on trying Clantech, buy a chassis (3 variants) with C-bills and elite it. You can't judge a mech without having it elited. I'm serious. I hated the Rifleman until I got elite on the first then loved it.
Clan Executioner is the same. Uggly beast at first but then it shines.

Since there are only two very versatile Clan Mechs out there without a distinct role I would suggest Timberwolf or Stormcrow.

>Thank you .

Have fun

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:06 AM

I agree with the Warhammer, Marauder, Kodiak pack sugestions,

if you want to buy one of the big packs and want a lot of colours as well look at the resistance2, Clans Wave 3 or Origans IIC packs,

resistance 2 has 4 Mechs all of which are pretty good, if you are interested in those Mechs I would recomend getting the whole thing for $80 including 6 faction content picks for upto 36 colours, 6 cammo unlocked for those chassis and 12 cockpit items
, Origans contains Clan versions of the Jenner, Hunchback, Orion and Highlander (the Jenner IIC and Hunchback IIC are great, the Orion and Highlander not so much, so buy the Hunchback pack for $40 and get 3 each of the Jenner and Hunchback inclding versions with a cbill boost and faction content for 12 colours),
Wave 3 comes with Clan Omnimechs, the Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Ebon Jaguar and Executioner, all of which are pretty good, I would suggest $90 for the ebon jag pack including faction content to let you choose 9 colours

#19 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:23 AM

You should buy the heavy mech package(on Steam summer sale) and the MechWarrior tourney supporter package (MWO gift store).

If want to spend additional money buy MC for the inevitable 50% off mechbay sale or a standard Kodiak package.

Edited by Spheroid, 28 June 2016 - 01:25 AM.

#20 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 27 June 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

First - and by far most importantly:
Posted Image

This! One of the most important guidance one can give on the forums. Or fora. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users