Can't Remap Keyboard Commands

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

trying to remap keyboard controls, and I can't. Am I doing something wrong? missing something?? HELP!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 09 May 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

trying to remap keyboard controls, and I can't. Am I doing something wrong? missing something?? HELP!

It's an on going bug that has yet to be fixed.

Basically here's the work around.
Double click what you want to change.
Realize it'd let you change it before you clicked it again, accidentally remaping left mouse button to it.

>.>; Repeat until successful.

#3 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 May 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

It's an on going bug that has yet to be fixed.

Basically here's the work around.
Realize it'd let you change it before you clicked it again, accidentally remaping left mouse button to it.

>.>; Repeat until successful.

lol///thats EXACTLY what I just did,...

got frustrated, just started double clicking and finally it worked...

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

It's been a bug since UI 2.0 was released. :)

#5 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 May 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

It's been a bug since UI 2.0 was released. :)

UI 2.0 has lots of bugs doesn't it?

#6 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

now If I could only get the damn side mouse buttons to work so I can have 3 weapons groups fired from the mouse

#7 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

Being left handed this is the first thing I do in any game. It takes awhile and you can expect it to take about 15-20 mins, but once your done it's a great thing.

Just double click like Koniving said.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 09 May 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

now If I could only get the damn side mouse buttons to work so I can have 3 weapons groups fired from the mouse

Sometimes they will work under "MOUSE" instead of Keyboard.
But some mice... will work under keyboard instead of mouse.

#9 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 09 May 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

In your mouse software, you need to set the side buttons to "Generic Button" for them to be recognized by MWO.
The default settings of "Browser Back / Browser Forwards" will not work.

Failing that, use an AutoHotkey script to remap the buttons, for example this script will map the two side buttons to weapon groups 3 and 4.

xbutton1::3
xbutton2::4

Edited by evilC, 11 May 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#10 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostevilC, on 11 May 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

In your mouse software, you need to set the side buttons to "Generic Button" for them to be recognized by MWO.
The default settings of "Browser Back / Browser Forwards" will not work.

Failing that, use an AutoHotkey script to remap the buttons, for example this script will map the two side buttons to weapon groups 3 and 4.

xbutton1::3
xbutton2::4

WHere do I put that script?

I've currently got them mapped in the mouse software for keystroke assignment..one is set to "3" and the other to "4" but it doesn't work

Edited by Bulletsponge0, 11 May 2014 - 05:58 AM.

#11 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 11 May 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

WHere do I put that script?

I've currently got them mapped in the mouse software for keystroke assignment..one is set to "3" and the other to "4" but it doesn't work

If you have mouse software capable of remapping, you should not need that script.
If you do need it, then you need to install AutoHotkey to use it - then paste the code into a text file with the extension .ahk and double click it.

When your mouse software is hitting 3 or 4, how long is it holding it?
You may need to make sure there is a 50ms delay between the down event and the up event.

#12 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

View PostevilC, on 11 May 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

If you have mouse software capable of remapping, you should not need that script.
If you do need it, then you need to install AutoHotkey to use it - then paste the code into a text file with the extension .ahk and double click it.

When your mouse software is hitting 3 or 4, how long is it holding it?
You may need to make sure there is a 50ms delay between the down event and the up event.

I have it mapped in the mouse software...even set it for all the time and for application specific...still doesn't work...

and no clue what you mean with the 50ms down event and up event :P

#13 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 11 May 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

I have it mapped in the mouse software...even set it for all the time and for application specific...still doesn't work...

and no clue what you mean with the 50ms down event and up event :D

MWO requires that the time between the key being pressed ("key down event") and released ("key up event") be greater than 50 milliseconds.
So if you tell your mouse software to bind side button 1 to "3", then it may not work if the software does not "hold" the key for more than 50ms. Good software should send the key down when you press the button, and the key up when you release it, but maybe your software is badly written.
If you can open a chat window in MWO, hit the mouse button, and see the key being typed into the chat box, then this is the problem.
The game chat window recognizes a <50ms keypress, but not your weapons!

In AutoHotKey, you can tell it to default to 50ms keypresses by putting the following near the start of your scipt:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

I dunno how to do it in your mouse software, I dunno what you have.

#14 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostevilC, on 11 May 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

MWO requires that the time between the key being pressed ("key down event") and released ("key up event") be greater than 50 milliseconds.
So if you tell your mouse software to bind side button 1 to "3", then it may not work if the software does not "hold" the key for more than 50ms. Good software should send the key down when you press the button, and the key up when you release it, but maybe your software is badly written.
If you can open a chat window in MWO, hit the mouse button, and see the key being typed into the chat box, then this is the problem.
The game chat window recognizes a <50ms keypress, but not your weapons!

In AutoHotKey, you can tell it to default to 50ms keypresses by putting the following near the start of your scipt:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

I dunno how to do it in your mouse software, I dunno what you have.

tried that chat window....nothing....

and its a logitech Anywhere MX mouse

#15 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

So if you are using setpoint, then you should not be having these issues. I know for sure that if you bind a side button to send "3" in setpoint, it should work in MWO.

Are you 100% sure that setpoint is trying to hit the button whilst in MWO? Do you have a per-application setting for MWO and if so, are you sure it is activating when MWO is the active app?

This is one of the reasons I use AutoHotKey so much - it is easier to get answers like this.

For example:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

XButton1::
   Send {3}
   soundbeep
   return

this code snippet would make a sound when you hit the side button, and also hit the 3 key. You know if you are hearing the beep that it has attempted to hit the 3 key.

Edited by evilC, 12 May 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#16 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostevilC, on 12 May 2014 - 06:24 AM, said:

So if you are using setpoint, then you should not be having these issues. I know for sure that if you bind a side button to send &quot;3&quot; in setpoint, it should work in MWO.

Are you 100% sure that setpoint is trying to hit the button whilst in MWO? Do you have a per-application setting for MWO and if so, are you sure it is activating when MWO is the active app?

This is one of the reasons I use AutoHotKey so much - it is easier to get answers like this.

For example:

SetKeyDelay, 0, 50

XButton1::
   Send {3}
   soundbeep
   return

this code snippet would make a sound when you hit the side button, and also hit the 3 key. You know if you are hearing the beep that it has attempted to hit the 3 key.

I mapped the side keys in both the main setup and set it for application specfic in setpoint...I might try something completely different with the keys when I get off work...I'll let you know what I did and if it worked. ...after all, being new, I only really need three weapons groups at the moment...and most times only two...

#17 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Even as an experienced pilot, I tend to try and keep it to 3 main weapon groups, not including TAG / MGs, often 2. The default build design ethic seems to be "lots of weapons, use each one a bit", whereas it is much more efficient to follow the "few weapons, use them a lot" route.

TAG and MGs can be toggled using my Fire Control script (see sig).

You can also make life easier by putting zoom on the mouse wheel, which until PGI fixes wheel binding, can be worked around using my zoom script (again, see sig).

Edited by evilC, 12 May 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#18 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostevilC, on 12 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

Even as an experienced pilot, I tend to try and keep it to 3 main weapon groups, not including TAG / MGs, often 2. The default build design ethic seems to be "lots of weapons, use each one a bit", whereas it is much more efficient to follow the "few weapons, use them a lot" route.

TAG and MGs can be toggled using my Fire Control script (see sig).

You can also make life easier by putting zoom on the mouse wheel, which until PGI fixes wheel binding, can be worked around using my zoom script (again, see sig).

well...tried some remapping....

the Anywhere MX mouse has 2 buttons, a mappable middle button and 2 buttons on the left side..

tried setting the left button as is, the right button as is...but the tiny middle button (default is app switcher) to keystroke 3...set it in the general and application specific settings.... and it didnt friggin work..

now thinking about getting a new mouse....

#19 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

are you 100% sure it is even trying to send the 3 key while in MWO?
If you do not see 3 appear in the chat window when you press the mouse button, it is not even trying to send 3.

Does it also work if you open a notepad window?
You aren't giving me any useful information to be able to help you really.
If you could say something like "I can remap it for other apps, but MWO does not work", then maybe I could help you...

#20 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

there are no bugs in UI 2.0. There are, however, unintended features.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users