Operation: Frontline Faction Play Event

433 replies to this topic

#401 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

View Postlatinisator, on 11 July 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Now it is: play some games, do not screw up terribly, get some points and get free stuff. The event becomes "work" if you let it become work.

Look, I get the personal combat with Devnull but I played fifteen games this morning without a single win. Fifteen. ECM, no win. 50 ton mech with STD engine and high alpha, no win. Team stayed together, no win. I eked out 13 wins over this entire event for scouting and didn't even bother with Invasion mode. The last three and several of the first ten were only because we had one pilot left in a fast mech who could time the dive into the pickup zone perfectly.

That's not "don't screw up too bad". I've had over 400 damage and lost. Regularly over 300 damage and lost. I've had overlapping ECM and been splattered by streaks before I could get two volleys off.

I play the game. I've played it since damn near the beginning. I've got closing in on a hundred mechs and almost none of those were paid for with real money because I have a deal with myself where all I buy is mech bays (unless the deal is reeeeally good and, well, Warhammers were my thing when I was little).

I played it without bitching or killing my social life. I played it without getting super stressed about getting ROFL-stomped in FW when I can still occasionally whip out seven kills in quick play (y'know, supporting the idea that I know which end of the mech the lasers come out of). I played it, I'm ok with not getting a mech for it, and I like the damn game.

...but the way this game is put together deserves some ***-kicking and however excessively whiney he can get Devnull is probably the best spokesman for it just because he will...and he's well spoken. I don't agree with everything he says but the game as it sits is really not something to brag about and FW is ****.

The only two places this game works is in mob free-for-all PuG quick play and 12 man vs 12 man FP.

You can argue all day about how to "fix" it so everything in between still works, and you can argue about why it works that way, and you can argue that it SHOULD be that way...but don't act like the average single guy playing this game has a damn thing they can do besides PuG it up.

I've played a vast number of online multiplayer games in my time...I'm getting old...and I've never met one with as much difficulty getting groups together as this one. I'm not a game developer, but every sign there is says that the folks running the show here don't know wtf they're doing either. That means the guy gets to *****, and I and others like me get to nod my head a bit when he speaks.

I'm never going to have the time to dedicate to running with a group. I'm never going to have a setup where I can play late at night and speak without waking children or others. I've played competitively on a dozen MMOs and FPS games and not a single one of those flat out REQUIRED direct communication with other players until you got to the top tier extra dedicated lose-your-social-life-peon! level. Once you knew the game you could flow with how everyone moved and just fight...

MWO isn't like that. You're either at the bottom level quick playing where you don't need your sound turned on or you'd damn sure better have the time and situation available to log onto a Teamspeak (et al) server and get super friendly with people you don't give a damn about.

Is any multiplayer game better with friends? Sure! ...but if it requires you to do it that way to even start to compete, much less where the in-game communication system sucks balls, then it's a good sign that things aren't how you want them to be.

MWO is utterly unforgiving if you're fighting an organized front if you don't have exceptional organization and communications. The number of ways that this has **** all over the strategy that this game is supposed to exemplify is legion. It's a fancy FPS with a bad interface that looks a little like Mechwarrior.

I still like it, I still play it, and it's still ****. It just happens to be mostly free **** that's based on a game I liked that doesn't take too much of my time. The criticisms leveled against it are mostly valid even if they're delivered in an irritating manner. Please just ask Devnull to tone it down or even just STFU because you don't feel like hearing it instead of acting like this game's faults aren't many and deep. Please. It bothers me deep in my soul when people who're doing ok with a system think the system is fine just because they're making it. It's a lucky congruence for you my friend, not the game being just fine.

#402 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Scouting is only about damage if its to kill scouts, or the minor amount you need to hit the 50 match score when you're intel gathering but merely putting up damage matters not if you don't get kills. A head kill takes 24 damage since they doubled all the internal structure/armor limits to slow the time to kill timing ages ago. ... learn to aim better. Go look at the hitbox blueprints for the mechs you're encountering scouting and figure out where the head box is on them. I see players overheat all the time in scout mode, and that's just a glaring 5 second window to stop, breath, aim and whammo... hit something important while they're immobile. If a head is to hard, go for the shoulders and blow the arms off also. Shoot things in the legs. Mobility kills work just as well in scouting as outright kills.

I ended up doing 61 total scouting matches. 13 were below the 50 target so they only contributed to the overall damage and match score totals. I scored only 16 kills most damage in all those matches. There were 22 wins so I was about 1 in 3 games. Two of them I got 4 kill assists and seven others I got three assists. It was in the end the overall totals for match score and damages that I was chasing to reach the scout grand prize. I was averaging 10 mins per scout match, so that was about 11 hours of scouting games. And I did it all without streak crows (just used my three shadow cats).

#403 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

View Postmetallio, on 11 July 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

and FW is ****.

That is your opinion. CW (sic!) is ok - not great, not terribad. I like it more than the PQ, however.

I'm never going to have the time to dedicate to running with a group. I'm never going to have a setup where I can play late at night and speak without waking children or others. I've played competitively on a dozen MMOs and FPS games and not a single one of those flat out REQUIRED direct communication with other players until you got to the top tier extra dedicated lose-your-social-life-peon! level.

Getting to your faction hub is that problematic for you? You do not have to run with a clan or whatever. Hop onto a TS and wait a little. In most instances, you should end up with a few guys. Friend some guys, make your position clear (not super active, not interested in clan things, just want to have a few people to play with) - you may even not be required to say something for listening is required mostly. Ever tried LFG and / or asked for help in the faction chat? Furthermore I do not think that you lose your social life by being on a TS once or twice a week.

MWO is utterly unforgiving if you're fighting an organized front if you don't have exceptional organization and communications. The number of ways that this has **** all over the strategy that this game is supposed to exemplify is legion. It's a fancy FPS with a bad interface that looks a little like Mechwarrior.

I beg your pardon but I have to object. Every multiplayer game is unforgiving if you face a super organised OPFOR, not just MW:O. Yet, the interface just sucks hard, that is right.

Please just ask Devnull to *snip* just STFU

Not gonna happen. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. However: Devnull, tone it down a tad.

Yes, the event is doable. Yes, it can get stressful since your success depends on three other guys (scouting). Still, it is doable. You have to be aware, however, that CW is the "end game content" for people who have seen anything else.

#404 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

First off, thanks for the event pgi, and thanks for extending it. Took about 8 hours of play time to get a new crab, and around 14 for the mad dog. That is including queue time. I was fine with not expecting a mdd until i had some unexpected free time open up. I hadn't played CW since the finale of phase 2. My experiences as a clan pug was pretty good. Only saw a longtom once in 20 matches. That thing is wow unfair as it wiped out 6 fresh enemies in one swipe guarding omega. Overall, in Invasion mode, I Had about an 80% win percentage. As for scout mode it seemed mostly balanced going about 60% won. Rarely saw any streak crows on our side. Most of the wins were due to spread out opponents. I could expect IS pugs could need a lot more time to get the required wins for their grand prizes.

Edited by John Stryker, 11 July 2016 - 11:50 AM.

#405 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:23 PM

Ok, lads and gents, here is my 'final overview' of that event.

At first, I repeat - dear devs, PLEASE ANOUNCE EVENTS! Not one-two days before but at last one week before so community can prepare itself for it! Is it so hard to understand that - find so much time to make those CW events are hard for most of us?! Come on! Make some kind of "events calendar". Please.

Now about event itself. I'm lonewolf mercenary, my unit consist of one member - I'm. So I've done that event alone, with no friends or other units helping me, no TS, no LFG tool. Just alone. Wasted all my free time from mon., 4th of till sat., 10th; so it’s like 6 days of 5 hours per day = 30 hours. Ok let’s say its 40 hours. Alone. With no LFG and very rarely pre-maded groups on my side. That was 2nd thing to you know about it. Ah and as you see I'm Marik so it means I've done this event as IS pilot.
Third. CW is broken. Mech balance is not fixed, while it’s on "tolerant' level it’s still hurt most of players. Very few of players can fight with SCR (I don't understand this now but at start I was very frustrated about those SCRs too. But SHD-2K (3xMPL+3xSRM6+AIV) let me end even with like 350-400 damage per scouting match with no problems with any kinds of enemy mechs). So mech balance is broken. And it hurts. Next thing to say about is Long Tom. What I have to say? Simple thing - do not drop on planet with it. Like I did. Yes, its increase overall time to finish that event but it saves a lot of yours nerves. A LOT. And yes, it’s possible to ignore LT-planets even with low players (its next thing to say, read later) - repeat, I'm Marik and I've did it, with only 1 planet for attack and 4 to defend. Yes, only 5 planets was available for me from start till end of event. And it was doable to avoid dropping with LT. For now LT = worst and most awful thing in CW. No doubt. Now as I promised about payers - they are few. Really few. From 1st day I've turned LFG on and FIND NO GROUPS till its end! Ok, lying - find one to do like 5 scouting games with 3 wins at 2nd or 3rd day. One. In 6 days. For 5 games. Of... I don't know and refuse to count how many games I've played. So 'community' warfare is 'most tolerated players' warfare. And still - as solo player I see 90% of claners as members of pre-maded groups of different sizes and 90% of IS players as PUGS. It was and it’s still here. For me. Well...what else to say?.. I don't know. Just wish our devs will hear me and do just two things to make this game MUCH more comfortable. 1st - announcements. Correct announcements in 5-7 days or so but not 2 days before. 2nd - make test server work! We are a lot here, and we want to TEST all things that You, dear devs, have in mind! Just run test server all the time you have ANY idea. Even mad like remove AS7 from the game. Please let us HELP you to make this game better! Done. A lot more to say to the devs but to do it I’ve need to get on mechcon, thing that for now looks impossible, like buy a Space Shuttle as personal airplane. Thanks. Again - 40 hours. Alone. Done all. Got 2 mechs. Thanks for players, IS and claners. That was fun.

P.S. With no calculations, just personal feelings - it was like 30-40% win rate in scouting and like 15-20% win rate in invasion. Maybe ill put some statistic here later but now it's just a feelings.
-edited-
As promised here are statistics - 95 games played (4 DC with disqualifications) of both inv. and scout. Only 20+10 wins. So as I told - like 30% win rate. "IS pug' says.

Edited by MGA121285, 11 July 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#406 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

Ah yes, L2Play came out nice and quick didn't it? You're literally part of the problem.

...as to getting on teamspeak and coordinating, it's so, so far from impossible that perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying? It's not impossible, it's by itself more than the average game requires and that's for a reason: The average player doesn't WANT TO. We all have personal reasons for that, and I tried to go over mine to an extent. I've played on teamspeak and ventrilo plenty, and it's simply not a good idea in my current home environment. There are hordes of people like me.

In-game LFG doesn't work worth a darn. Faction chat is at best hit or miss. Forming a group in any other game made for groups is pretty simple: show up and click a button. I just looked and there's one person in LFG. No info, no description of what they're looking for, no anything. No ability to browse, no ability to view online faction members and send messages without "finding" them first. If you're lucky you've friended someone who's online regularly. I've got forty-one friends listed, not a single one I've seen online in memory.

There have been functional and easy to use chat clients in games for decades. The current chat is not easy to use and does not maintain text easily. That's literally its only function and it does so poorly compared to any peer games.

Can this be overcome? Sure! ...of course that's part of why our game is doing poorly...if overcoming the client is part of the fight it's telling. Look, "it's a game!" is right, and I don't want to spend time fighting the interface. I do it anyway "because", but it's a problem and it's why people with less interest go elsewhere.

That ignores the entire dismissive BS that you people throw. Don't want to TS? You don't belong here! ...that's my point. The game could function just fine without having to get into a group, but it doesn't, and that's a problem for anyone who wants the game to appeal to enough people to actually keep the servers up. You don't have to like it, but it's a basic function of the internet that people like to play alone with others. Making it difficult to do so lowers participation, making it easy increases participation. For comparison, look at the lowly WoW LFR auto-grouping system. It totally hand-holds everyone involved and jams them together quickly. The game gets played and people move on with minimal chatter. The basic game functions are somewhat complicated (raid bosses require learning etc) but the game play once the required movements are known is very easy to understand and doesn't require significant coordination to succeed. CoD and most other shooters just dump you on a team and you play, with minimal control over the details.

I know this game. I've played the heck out of it. I can shoot, can build and play meta, and enjoy taking orders. For the most part FW is a loss every time I click on it. I could complain about the time frames for getting a fight together, but let's just stick with the fact that the game isn't just "unrewarding" when coordination is lacking, it's a complete ROFL-Stomp.

That makes it absolutely, 100%, not something the average player is going to be interested in. 99% of this game ends up being "stick together" and "be more patient than the other guy" followed closely by "follow orders calling targets".

That's it. That's the whole game once excessive coordination is applied. Without it you don't win. Period. You can love that all day and it won't help us retain players. Even in scouting mode it applies. If you're so much as 50m closer together you get more focused fire and you win more. I can guess the chances of winning by a fight almost immediately based on how far people scatter. Not whether they do, but how far. Not whether they "go far", but whether they're "close" and "how close". That's it. Everything else follows from that.

The game in its current inception does not support any form of mech strategy unless your enemy is an uncoordinated mess. This is why quick play is where the average person goes.

I understand that you like it just fine this way, but it's a real problem, and I'd like to see real solutions rather than circle jerking about "noobs". Anything other than reasonable attention drives the population lower, and increases the chance the game simply disappears.

#407 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

Oh and do you even understand the difference? In any other game fighting a coordinated enemy is "unforgiving" not "essentially impossible". Bring skilled players without coordination and you still get to play the game and not serve as cannon fodder for the organized group.

MWO Faction Warfare is nearly unplayable without an organized group. Calling movements in a PuG does NOT increase your chance to survive. I've done it more times than I can count and it increases your effectiveness slightly while doing nearly nothing to increase your chances of actually winning the game. Occasionally I've grouped with someone charismatic running a small group of maybe 3-4 who could control the entire group without previous coordination. Those are the games I've won in FW. Those and when I ended up being filler for a ten man or similar. I have NEVER won a pure PuG FW match. Not one. I've never even been close. I've played the events, I've carefully built meta, I've tweaked my hardware and literally trained my hands to respond in ways that let me shoot better...nothing matters except being in a coordinated group.

What in the world makes you think that your experience in those coordinated groups means that this is a good idea? "It's end game content!" are you serious? This kills the MWO.

Edited by metallio, 11 July 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#408 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

View Postmetallio, on 11 July 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

Oh and do you even understand the difference? In any other game fighting a coordinated enemy is "unforgiving" not "essentially impossible". Bring skilled players without coordination and you still get to play the game and not serve as cannon fodder for the organized group.

MWO Faction Warfare is nearly unplayable without an organized group. Calling movements in a PuG does NOT increase your chance to survive. I've done it more times than I can count and it increases your effectiveness slightly while doing nearly nothing to increase your chances of actually winning the game. Occasionally I've grouped with someone charismatic who could control the entire group without previous coordination. Those are the games I've won in FW. Those and when I ended up being filler for a ten man or similar. I have NEVER won a pure PuG FW match. Not one. I've never even been close. I've played the events, I've carefully built meta, I've tweaked my hardware and literally trained my hands to respond in ways that let me shoot better...nothing matters except being in a coordinated group.

What in the world makes you think that your experience in those coordinated groups means that this is a good idea? "It's end game content!" are you serious? This kills the MWO.

git gud. no offense, seriously.

I know a lot of drop caller who can and will direct a pug team,
I know a few drop commander who can lay out tactics for mixed loadouts and groups on the fly.
I call more often then not because, more often then not, it will make the difference.

Today i shuffled our team out of the shitzone after a 2 vs 12 first wave. the whole enemy team was sitting in the open waiting for someone from our alpha lance to get out of the dropship. we picked them apart and turned the game. The enemy team was at least a group of +6 if not more, we had a 2 men group and pugs only.

I also know a ton of players who i know can and will stand their ground on their own. i do not need to command them and they will use every single call i make to their advantage. a lot of those players drop solo most of the time.

I have a lot of screens of my pug team besting a full enemy with 12 identical unit tags.

I'm sorry if you're displeased with your experience in fp regarding pug teams vs premades but i can tell you from my own experience that winning with a pug team against a full premade is indead possible and a very rewarding experience which can be called the ultimate end game content.

That said, about the event. I couldn't secure any of the mechs because RL>mwo grind. Thought, i got a little something for my effort, so i'm down with the event as a whole. The extension was a nice move.
Sadly, when i finally was able to free some time to get some rewards done it just had to be this weekend which of course happened to feature MWO downtime. just my luck.

#409 The Big Dawg

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

Was a good event. Thanks for the mechs and free stuff. Always appreciated.

#410 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

First weekend of the event I had outdoor activities, so I really appreciated the time extension. I got to drop with some great Faction buddies. One match I got to experience the "fun" of Long Tom first-hand. 3 good guys(one of them me), 3 good guys, 3 bad guys and 1 good guy. Went scouting and spent my time figuring out which Enforcers in my stable worked for me - none really, must be my mechs ;) Best was my Dual UAC-5 build if I did not get focus-fired. Hard slog against the Crows when answering call for reinforcements. Very impressed with one 3-man I dropped with. I got in a few leg shots before spectating them while they expertly legged all those pests. Should have taken a screenshot of the match score so I could thank them all.

What did I get? 2 x 1 day premium time. A fair result for my skills.

#411 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 11 July 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

git gud. no offense, seriously.

I know a lot of drop caller who can and will direct a pug team,
I know a few drop commander who can lay out tactics for mixed loadouts and groups on the fly.
I call more often then not because, more often then not, it will make the difference.
I'm sorry if you're displeased with your experience in fp regarding pug teams vs premades but i can tell you from my own experience that winning with a pug team against a full premade is indead possible and a very rewarding experience which can be called the ultimate end game content.

...you're literally saying that you're that one person in however many who can make this work, as I discussed above. You're surrounded by the people following you willing to do what you say, and you think that it's a common experience. You know a few other people like you in leadership positions. This makes it even more common.

Then you have the unmitigated gall to simply say "Git gud" and suggest that it's inoffensive.

You literally have no idea what you're doing. You fell into a game experience that works wonderfully for you and you dismiss the evidence of differing experiences presented to you. You act as if this is a readily available good experience, then dismiss those who don't have it as lesser beings. I'm curious how you avoid cognitive dissonance.

FW has an immense problem with population and player numbers. It's talked about consistently when the game is discussed and is apparent anytime anyone queues up. Ghost drops are a common enough thing to be a problem.

There's a barren desert surrounding your oasis and you're sitting in the shade sipping water bemusedly dismissing the concerns of those trying to trek across the burning sand because YOU like it fine. How do you jive the population disparity with your position that things are just fine? Is it just that 90% of the people who've tried it aren't cut out for this type of game? Is it that they didn't want to try enough? Is it that they all just need to "git gud"?

No matter what that answer is, it ends up saying that this game isn't working in a way that can be supported in the long term. All of those people you're hand waving away as not good enough are the people who make a game that survives. You attract new players or wither away. That's...that's literally the simplest definition of any group, it's not even sociology 101. You attract new members at a rate equal to or greater than attrition or you disappear. WE'RE NOT DOING THAT. We're losing players at a rate faster than we gain them in a very noticeable decline. The Steam launch added massive numbers of players who noped out of the game almost immediately.

If you can't see an issue with FW, can you at least acknowledge that FW is the entire point of a long term Battletech/Mechwarrior game? Yes, quick play is fun. In your own words this is the end game content. If it's not keeping players, and it's the only thing we have to keep players, then it's literally the thing killing the game. Quick play is an intermittent death match. It's not what is going to keep bringing players back. FW in some incarnation has to be what people play long term...and they're not playing it. Does that make any sense at all? Do you NOT think FW is just fine the way it is? Or are you just totally ok with it only being fine for a miniscule fraction of the population of which you're a member?

#412 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

Coordination is no guarantee, especially when many repeat the same tactic over and over, fail every time, and do it again expecting a magically different result. MY personal fave for stupid tactics is the push for the generators first wave of an attack, or for the omega in the counter-assault. Generators and Omega aren't going anywhere and they do not shoot back. Better to focus your first wave on the things that shoot at you, and THEN if you have the opportunity you shoot the other stuff. In both cases, its better to be going for gens/omega when you're significantly ahead on kills, not when you're behind on them and the enemy has more mechs, closer to where they need to defend.

#413 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

As always, startled to see this much commentary and emotion over playing a game for free digital artifacts.

I played until 1:00 AM Pacific time to finish, waited up until the website confirmed I was done, and went to bed satisfied.

Note the use of the word "play" in all of these sentences.

If you aren't playing, you're working hard for no pay to create nothing.

#414 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

View Postmetallio, on 11 July 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

...you're literally saying that you're that one person in however many who can make this work, as I discussed above. You're surrounded by the people following you willing to do what you say, and you think that it's a common experience. You know a few other people like you in leadership positions. This makes it even more common.

Yep. What you failed to realize is that i am very likely not a tiny bit better at anyting the game has to offer then you.
I am often surrounded by folks who can make use of a drop caller and i do step up if noone else can or wants to.
I am certainly not the best dropcaller you could wish for, that's for granted. But having me doing ot rather then noone is to your advantage. Likewise, if nobody calls it, YOU could do it. Just learn it.

It does help a lot, i played so many FP matches and saw the results. I called many drops and i had the results.

Besided, I wrote "a few" drop commander, that is very different from drop caller. I am an aweful drop commander, i'd like to learn that sometime, tho.

Then you have the unmitigated gall to simply say "Git gud" and suggest that it's inoffensive.

You literally have no idea what you're doing. You fell into a game experience that works wonderfully for you and you dismiss the evidence of differing experiences presented to you. You act as if this is a readily available good experience, then dismiss those who don't have it as lesser beings. I'm curious how you avoid cognitive dissonance.

And here is where you went wrong.
I want to be frank here, you do not have the hard and/or softskill for FP. You could learn it, like those of us who do enjoy FP.
If you lack the skills to carry or guide a team AND drop with a random selection of strangers then obviously you will not enjoy a rough game unless someone with said skills comes and carries the game for you. Again, you could be said someone.

Working and learning IS part of the fun PF offers.

I didn't dropped into FP with 4 trial'mechs and 11 other dudes with another 44 trial'mechs with zero communication skills against a full comp premade and said "whoa.. unfair, faulty FP!! i totally should have a chance to win this!"
Yet, i see an aweful lot of people doing just that.

I dropped FP solo and i got hammered. I thought to myself "whoa, this is tough but challenging, what can i do to get get better at this?"
The better i got, the more fun i had.
It is a matter of mindset.
I enjoy a game against a premade, where i "only" got 2 kills i had to work hard for much, much muuuch more then a 15 kill 3k damage seal clubbing session. I go to FP for the challenge, not for easy wins.
Get good (or at least better) and you WILL enjoy FP more and more.

The event is over and FP is still populated, PGI got people to actually play 20-30 matches instead of just one time experiences of being the recieving end of a seal clubbing party.

FW has an immense problem with population and player numbers. It's talked about consistently when the game is discussed and is apparent anytime anyone queues up. Ghost drops are a common enough thing to be a problem.

There's a barren desert surrounding your oasis and you're sitting in the shade sipping water bemusedly dismissing the concerns of those trying to trek across the burning sand because YOU like it fine. How do you jive the population disparity with your position that things are just fine? Is it just that 90% of the people who've tried it aren't cut out for this type of game? Is it that they didn't want to try enough? Is it that they all just need to "git gud"?

No matter what that answer is, it ends up saying that this game isn't working in a way that can be supported in the long term. All of those people you're hand waving away as not good enough are the people who make a game that survives. You attract new players or wither away. That's...that's literally the simplest definition of any group, it's not even sociology 101. You attract new members at a rate equal to or greater than attrition or you disappear. WE'RE NOT DOING THAT. We're losing players at a rate faster than we gain them in a very noticeable decline. The Steam launch added massive numbers of players who noped out of the game almost immediately.

If you can't see an issue with FW, can you at least acknowledge that FW is the entire point of a long term Battletech/Mechwarrior game? Yes, quick play is fun. In your own words this is the end game content. If it's not keeping players, and it's the only thing we have to keep players, then it's literally the thing killing the game. Quick play is an intermittent death match. It's not what is going to keep bringing players back. FW in some incarnation has to be what people play long term...and they're not playing it. Does that make any sense at all? Do you NOT think FW is just fine the way it is? Or are you just totally ok with it only being fine for a miniscule fraction of the population of which you're a member?

Steam was a massive audience, of course a lot of people simply just wanted to take a look at the game, MWO isn't as simple as most shooters are, it isn't tailored for the wide mass of casual fps players. But every new player steam brought to the community is a win.

I won't tackle the rambling about FP flaws, of couse there is a lot to improve. But it simply isn't as bad as most people depicture it. Negative opinions are mostly tied to the fact that average t4 skillsets is not enough to cut it in FP matches. FP isn't meant to be easy, YOU DO HAVE TO LEARN TO GET GOOD or you simply will not make it.

There is no magic behind it, avarage aim, training, a bit of learning mechs and loadouts, learning the map, timing, tactics.

Everyone can do that IF they would want to. FP doesn't need people who do not want to improve or are up for a challenge. FP isn't meant to be t4 with 4 mechs instead of 1. Never was, hopefully never will.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 11 July 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#415 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:47 PM

View Postmetallio, on 11 July 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

MWO Faction Warfare is nearly unplayable without an organized group. Calling movements in a PuG does NOT increase your chance to survive. I've done it more times than I can count and it increases your effectiveness slightly while doing nearly nothing to increase your chances of actually winning the game. Occasionally I've grouped with someone charismatic running a small group of maybe 3-4 who could control the entire group without previous coordination. Those are the games I've won in FW. Those and when I ended up being filler for a ten man or similar.

First off, kid, you said that fighting a coordinated OPFOR in MWO is "utterly unforgiving", not "essentially impossible". It can be unforgiving as in any other given game where you face the top players.

CW is unplayable without organisation? Clan Jade Falcon PUGs beg to differ. Here is the deal, pal: The lot of players that are very active in CW have been there since CW launched. Thus, we (mostly) know where to stand on a map and where to go, where to set up ambushes and so on. But we are not invincible by a long shot. I have seen Inner Sphere surat freebirth teams mixed together from every House out there and they kicked our premade butts.

In addition: You played with 3 or 4 guys which was both fun and successful? Did you friend them so you could drop more frequently with them?

In conclusion the words of Toha Heavy Industries are correct, though the wording itself might be a little aggressive:
If you want to CW, you can. You have however to bring a little skillset and the mindset to improve yourself.

#416 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:21 PM

Now that I have a new computer I can troll the forums again.

Got my new computer Saturday afternoon, and finished the scouting mode by early Monday morning. That was only about 30 to 40 matches to complete that.

None of those matches were in premades. I am part of a unit, but end up playing most of my FP matches with pugs. I like to call it killing with skittles. Communication is key not just for your own success, but your team's as well. You also need to be willing to work with your team. I hate that guy who runs off to who knows where and is never seen again. I run off to who knows where all the time, but I keep my team in the know. "I am grabbing Intel in grid blah, now returning from blah and will regroup at blah." It is that simple. If you do not have TS please tell your team before either match type. They will relay info on the in game voip. If you can't voip, relay that you need chat orders, also do not expect real time orders. It is not your team's job to read your mind. Communication on each of our parts starts before the match.

Earlier in the thread someone advised they don't use voip or ts late at night due to noise in the house. Please go and buy a cheap set of headphones. Just let your team know you have no mic.

Those having issues with real life invading the game have turned the game into their real life. If you are having issues with the game invading real life, then choose real life. It is much more rewarding.

I do agree with a few gripes, but overall I had fun for the last day and a half.

Edited by mikerso, 11 July 2016 - 11:25 PM.

#417 Nexano

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFrom There

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

I'm currently can't get my reward because site not displaying well. I don't get whats wrong but tried different browsers and nothing changes. GJ PGI.

#418 MechPorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 897 posts
  • LocationThe Banzai Institute of Advanced Armored Warfare

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

#419 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostMechPorn, on 12 July 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

And this is why we need more new people attracted into MWO, through having rewards from completed challenges in events, which have enough time provided to not be a 'Pressure Cooker' to most of the player base. New players need to be able to feel like they were able to do enough and earn enough that they won't be stuck with sucking for extended periods of time, or they lose interest and leave the game, resulting in a lack of population that's needed in order to make Faction Warfare playable. In turn, without new players remaining interested and sticking around because they were able to get what they knew they needed in order for the game to be playable, MWO would instead be "WaitZone Online". I'm sure this is something none of us want when we would rather be playing the game, right? We can't leave New Players to be quote-unquote "Seal Clubbed" all the time, or they just won't stick around because they'll feel a lack of an 'inviting feel' and an unwillingness to take a slamming from the more-experienced players. :(

~Mr. D. V. "This even applies to less-experienced, not-so-new players as well..." Devnull

(p.s.: For your reference, grizzled veterans of MWO, people still don't 'get good' instantly. Please readjust yourselves for this, as well as the fact that not everyone is able to be a brawler because that's not their natural playstyle. Oh, and try to have a nice day?)

#420 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

Is it just that 90% of the people who've tried it aren't cut out for this type of game? Is it that they didn't want to try enough? Is it that they all just need to "git gud"?

Exactely!

90% (a bit more or less of course) don't even bother "trying". It is a hard gamemode, even more harder if you decide to drop with pickup groups. You simply have to "try enough" to get good at it.

Just came back from a PUG drop vs another PUG and some 2-3 man premade. We lost our defense on boreal.
I did top damage of our team, 8 kills 17 assists (that means i killed half the mechs i engaged) 3 solo kills, 11 most damage dealt with 2,5k damage dealt.
Popped 4 UAVS and used 4 coolshots.
I pretty much did more then half my team TOGETHER. outperforming a whole lance of 16 mechs with my 4.

Pretty good considering i hurt both my corneals yesterday, both scratched. Having one eye closed and one open with roughly 60% vision left. I litterally can hardly see what i am typing right now with 150% zoom.

It is not elite playerskill what helped me, i simply do not have above average playerskill. Everyting i have can be learned, it actually has to be learn ingame. If you refuse to learn you simply will not get good and enjoy the "hardmore" gameplay PF has to offer.

mah 50 cent.

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 13 July 2016 - 04:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users