Balance The Griffin

49 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:57 AM

balance the griffin as it is far too tanky. It has a huge list of quirks that consist of structure additions and missile velocity. Also any srms can target one location where any clan srms spread all over the target. The clan mech other other hand has no addition structure quirks and the srms cannot target a single location. Everytime these too mechs meet , in most cases the griffin wins because of the additional structural quirks and because the srms can target a specific spot on the stormcrow. Additionally the stormcrow cannot jump like the griffin can.

Ways to balance and even the playing field. Allow the stormcrow a increase in missile velocity like the griffin, add structure quirks( especially on the legs), Allow the crow to target a specific spot with standard srms or srms with artimis like the griffin does and or allow the crow to be able to jump.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:59 AM

No.

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 30 June 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

balance the griffin as it is far too tanky. It has a huge list of quirks that consist of structure additions and missile velocity. Also any srms can target one location where any clan srms spread all over the target. The clan mech other other hand has no addition structure quirks and the srms cannot target a single location. Everytime these too mechs meet , in most cases the griffin wins because of the additional structural quirks and because the srms can target a specific spot on the stormcrow. Additionally the stormcrow cannot jump like the griffin can.

Ways to balance and even the playing field. Allow the stormcrow a increase in missile velocity like the griffin, add structure quirks( especially on the legs), Allow the crow to target a specific spot with standard srms or srms with artimis like the griffin does and or allow the crow to be able to jump.

Ever try using Artemis on non streak SRM's? Even for Clan SRM's it will tighten up the grouping.... SSRM's though light mech murder weapons, not so fantastic against anything over 50t, too much damage spread.

My MDD-PRIME is a SRM murder machine on anything smaller than it....

#4 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

Im not playing griffins so I cant say for sure how they play after the rescaling. BUT since they might not do a rescale again any time soon, the only thing that can help mechs are some quirks. I've heard the Griffin are quite good, just a tiny bit larger than before so Im sure its pretty safe. Nice srm brawler and such. Weakening that mech with less quirks might take away its role.

Now as for the Phawks and Shawks, the other birdie mechs. The first needs structure/ armor boosts to the arms and torsos and the second needs better general weapon quirks. Since the Shadow Hawk are mostly a commander/ generalist mech. At least in role and IMO does that role pretty well here in MWO too.

Anyway. I think a person who have alot of experience with Griffins could add a decent list of pros and cons regarding if it is too "tanky"

#5 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

wait, wut? nerf griffin because of srms? You seem to forget that clan SRMs only have half the weight of their IS pendants. And if you think about scout mode where skillcrows get owned by splat griffins I'd like to point out that 2 out of 3 contested planets have 100% intel on clan side at the moment.

View PostTordin, on 30 June 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

Anyway. I think a person who have alot of experience with Griffins could add a decent list of pros and cons regarding if it is too "tanky"

Yes I can. They aren't. lose a side and it's gg and you lose a side with 2 big alphas.

#6 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

hey lets limit the scouting matches tonnage to 50 then neither the stormcrow or the apparently to strong I.S 55 toner will be involved..

#7 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostCathy, on 30 June 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

hey lets limit the scouting matches tonnage to 50 then neither the stormcrow or the apparently to strong I.S 55 toner will be involved..

yay, can't wait to splat the skillhunchies with my srmcent...

even 45 or 40 tons won't help this mode...

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

View Post627, on 30 June 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

yay, can't wait to splat the skillhunchies with my srmcent...

even 45 or 40 tons won't help this mode...

They should allow IS go full 100 tons.
I mean how else is Steiner supposed to scout?! With less than 400 tons of scout mechs?! NONSENSE

#9 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

View Post627, on 30 June 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yes I can. They aren't. lose a side and it's gg and you lose a side with 2 big alphas.

Alrighty! Same for my experience in Phoenix Hawks and to some degree Shadow Hawks. XL engines the reason mostly, but even with STD engine, losing half your firepower is not good in an alpha/ meta infested MWO.

#10 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 30 June 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

They should allow IS go full 100 tons.
I mean how else is Steiner supposed to scout?! With less than 400 tons of scout mechs?! NONSENSE

It should be a faction quirk for those that enjoy the blue fist....

#11 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

As a Clan pilot: No, and it sounds like user error. Griffs are high priority threats, but don't need a nerf.

I tried explaining this to a lower tier pilot the other day, but he just didn't want to accept the reality behind it, however there is almost no circumstance as a Clan pilot that you should be taking SSRM of any size over an SRM 4 or 6. The one exception is if you intend to fight light mechs, and light mechs only. Even then, I'd still rather take the (A)SRM4/6 so I can chop legs off easier. As soon as you intend to fight a medium, heavy, or assault, non-streaks are worlds better.

Not only do you get more missiles for the tonnage, but you can actually aim them so that they hit a specific component of an enemy mech. Otherwise you smear missiles across the entire enemy mech, and do an awful job of putting enemies down quickly. The longer you take to kill an enemy mech, the more time they have to kill you instead.

Yes, you have to learn to lead a target a little. However, it isn't hard to hit something at brawl range with SRMs. Being able to focus parts is a game changer over SSRM, and well worth the loss of range.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 30 June 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#12 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Ok, ok, ok, we get it. You died to some Griffins that beat up your Crutch Crow.

The solution is to become a better pilot and practice your gunnery skills.

And to let you in on a little secret, it is not the mech that targets and hits a specific spot, it is the pilot.

#13 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

A wuh?

Look if you're having trouble killing griffins in a storm crow on a regular basis, the problem isn't the griffin mate... it's you.

#14 Parmeggido

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

I can build a Storm Crow with a 72 alpha, full armor, and 20 heatsinks, that can alpha 3 times before heat becomes an issue. 6 spl and 3 srm6, with 2 tons of ammo. Without structure quirks, it would have a chance to one shot a Griffin's side torso, unless the Griffin frontloaded to the point of having about 2 rear armor. Those structure quirks only give the Griffin enough HP to survive 1 shot from that monster. They make it so both mechs can 2 shot each other, but even then, the Griffin has to do it through the center torso. Griffin doesn't sound so over powered to me.

#15 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

Scrow is the best medium, challenged only by the hbk2c.

The problem is bad pilots putting ssrms on them. There are some brutal pulse laser builds and srm builds it can take to just wreck face. Quit putting crutch loadouts that require less skill but still destroys bad pilots. It leaves you vulnerable to good pilots in decent mechs.

Take a good build and develop the skills to use it. Streak builds teach you to be bad at the game.

#16 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

Streaks are bad aimbots? News @ 23:00.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,589 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 30 June 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

Scrow is the best medium, challenged only by the hbk2c.

I dont know about that, if there were ever a mech that was a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none mech, it is the current Stormcrow as nearly all of the things it tries to do, is outperformed by a more specialized mech, outside of boating streaks.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

Stop expecting your Streaks to one shot a mech with decent armor.

The "balance" of the fight swings in your favor, as soon as you run standard SRMs w/ Artemis, and heaven help the griffin if you mix in some SPLs as well.

XL checks will be failed.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 30 June 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 30 June 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

I dont know about that, if there were ever a mech that was a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none mech, it is the current Stormcrow as nearly all of the things it tries to do, is outperformed by a more specialized mech, outside of boating streaks.

Scouting. 55 max tonnage, Clan vs IS. In that bracket of only fighting IS lights and mediums it's a stone cold beast.

Spl or MPL builds or just straight SRM boating it destroys face. Hbk2C is amazing but cuacs are iffy vs lights.

Faster than a Griffin with a bigger payload and/or way better heat management and cxl?

Scouting is an odds game. A powerful, fast generalist build that can counter both srm mediums and lights will win out in the aggregate.

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 30 June 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

REDACTED

Aaannnnddd....

Sweeping haxusation for the win! Well played sir.

Edited by Procurator Derek, 30 June 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 30 June 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

REDACTED

Ah... you're trolling. Good to know.

Edited by Procurator Derek, 30 June 2016 - 03:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users