Can You Find A Better Nova?

BattleMechs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Nova is currently pretty decent because it can boat 12x cERSL, jump rather well, and have a pretty small silhouette for a 50 tonner, not to mention that the quirks help it somewhat. But I wish that it could move a bit faster.

Now imagine a faster Nova with an Endo. A "Stormcrow" equivalent without Ferro can do 12x ERSL, 6x JJs (because it has 6 hexes of walking "speed"), and 22x DHS. Does such Clan 'Mech exist? Black Lanner is overengined and doesn't have enough crits and tonnage. The ability to mount JJs is critical on this (kind of) 'Mech because it need them to set up ambushes (12x cERSL is a short ranged build) and run from attackers.

#2 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

The left you are looking for is the ice ferret. It's slightly less tanky, no jump jets, 10 sml and goes the same speed as a cheetah.

#3 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostBaulven, on 30 June 2016 - 03:53 PM, said:

The left you are looking for is the ice ferret. It's slightly less tanky, no jump jets, 10 sml and goes the same speed as a cheetah.

But no JJs....

Now that I think about it, The Nova is pretty special that it mounts all of those 12x cERSL on the arms. Coupled with the JJs, it makes the 'Mech have complete ability to bring the whole firepower to bear from any level (unlike an Atlas). It would be impossible to find a better one I think.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

With TT construction rules, add Endo, move to a 300XL, the Nova goes to an even 15 tons of pod space (VS 15.5) and loses 3 Crit Slots, but moves over 100 Kph now.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

I'm more interested in the Arctic Wolf. This 40 ton bugger has nine missile hardpoints in its prime config. Posted Image

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Arctic_Wolf

#6 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

I keep saying it and keep getting ignored. The Pouncer. 97 before tweak, jump jets as standard, 14 tons of pod space, and up to 11 energy hardpoints. It is only a bigger Adder superficially. Look at its hardpoint potential instead.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 30 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#7 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

I'm more interested in the Arctic Wolf. This 40 ton bugger has nine missile hardpoints in its prime config. Posted Image

Yeah... i like to see that too.
No enough variants though. and its from 3059. One variant has plasma cannon.

If only PGI could figure a way to throw this 3-variant requirement away.

They are reworking the skill-tree though.

Edited by Navid A1, 30 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#8 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 June 2016 - 05:18 PM, said:

With TT construction rules, add Endo, move to a 300XL, the Nova goes to an even 15 tons of pod space (VS 15.5) and loses 3 Crit Slots, but moves over 100 Kph now.

Yeah, I guess a better Nova would be simply a Nova with Endo and a bigger engine!

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

That's an interesting alternative to the upcoming Viper! Shame that the BattleMech versions don't have JJs. The JJs are what make the Jenner IIC preferable.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 30 June 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I keep saying it and keep getting ignored. The Pouncer. 97 before tweak, jump jets as standard, 14 tons of pod space, and up to 11 energy hardpoints. It is only a bigger Adder superficially. Look at its hardpoint potential instead.

It can only mount 17x DHS for 11x cERSL though (and has 40 tonner's armor compared to Nova's 50 ton). Not sure if it's preferable to the Viper at this tonnage (the Viper can mount even less DHS but is much faster and jumpy-er).

#9 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I am the world's worst medium and light pilot...but when I use my nova prime (12 ER Small Lasers and 4 mg) even I don't look too bad. It's definately better than anything else in its weight class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users