Inner Sphere Scouting Tips

31 replies to this topic

#1 Kaveli

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

I am one of those people who runs streakcrows in scouting. (Shame, Shame, Shame)

However this week we are Inner Sphere as a unit and I am totally lost. Could I get a few builds and tips from the community on how you run your IS scouting matches? Much appreciated!

#2 Vermin

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

couple lights and mediums stand out. but none of them will replicate the streak-crow. perhaps pirate bane or the cicada 3l would suit you.

By the way can you use vanilla srm6's effectively?

One thing that comes to mind is that the hunchback is a really really decent mech, though not to my tastes.

if you absolutely must have lots and lots of missiles the griffon is not a bad mech I suppose, at least on paper.

I have not tried it out in this game yet, however the wolfhound has typically been a very sturdy light in comparison to the others in previous mechwarrior games.

Edited by Vermin, 01 July 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#3 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:56 AM

Griffin is a great SRM boat. Hunchback is an excellent medium. For "scouting", on the IS side, I usually stick with Locusts. The PB is excellent with ECM, but almost any will do for true, vanilla "scouting". If you mean flank skirmishing, however, I have to recommend something more along the line of the Firestarter or a Cicada build.

#4 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

First thing is never ever do scouting solo with IS pugs. Always have a complete 4man. Trust me, you need to eliminate the solo players from your side of the matches completely.

While underhive clan pugs will probably be taking skilcrows sermcrows more often than not, you know actualy be able to at least do some dmg. IS pugs just as likely to take CN9s with LRMs.

Anyway for mechs,

GRF 3M, GRF 2N, and SHD 2D2 fit with SRM flamers as much as possible for short ranged maps on both modes isn't a bad option.

On polar and longer ranged maps you'll want to start using range and kiting. 3x lpl meds, BJ3s, CN9 AL (the one with the lol laser quirks.) Run a couple mechs like that, and if clan still running brawl SCRs you'll have cored or downed at least one before they can get more than one shot off. Gives you a chance to grab a lights leg if they running intel, and if they trading back at range you aren't totally screwed.

#5 PholkLorr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • LocationThe Best Player

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

How do you know what kind of map you will drop in to?

Also, how do you know if youre atking, defending or counter atking?

#6 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

When I lose in scouting, it's because I was legged. I watched a Hunchback run around me stooped over because he was firing at my legs. Centurian AH or Yen-Lo with an AC20, Enforcer with AC20, Griffins and Shadowhawks with SRMs, Hunchbacks with AC20 or 6 Small Pulse. Streaks just don't cut it when fighting these larger mechs (especially the ones with their primary weapons somewhere other than the arms). Stay in a pack, leg em and kill em.

Toss in a light that can collect/bolt to the drop ship.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

4 Locust-1V > 4 Streakcrows. Cap all intel, so the opposing side's scouting value will not go up while yours will skyrocket. Too bad PB is behind paywall.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 July 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#8 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostVermin, on 01 July 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

couple lights and mediums stand out. but none of them will replicate the streak-crow. perhaps pirate bane or the cicada 3l would suit you.

By the way can you use vanilla srm6's effectively?

One thing that comes to mind is that the hunchback is a really really decent mech, though not to my tastes.

if you absolutely must have lots and lots of missiles the griffon is not a bad mech I suppose, at least on paper.

I have not tried it out in this game yet, however the wolfhound has typically been a very sturdy light in comparison to the others in previous mechwarrior games.

WLF used to be, now it huge and moves like a slug.

Running one with 5 Sm pulse and AMS keep me out of Streak Crow problems real easy.

#9 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

if you are going to cap take fastest mech you can hopefully with ECM. Many clan streak mechs will think they can let somebody else bring CAP so they can add other stuff (stupid but true).

OR

If you are in a semi organized unit bring 3 really good mediums as described above and one capper who does not mind getting zero damage to get the win if it is really close.

Have the mediums try to go somewhere as far away from the possible drop offs so after the ship is called you can get the points and make the drop off.

If defending try to find the worlds with the least big boy units so you can hopefully farm the pugz if you want wins and damage. IF trying to actually play to keep territory make sure you are on comms with 3-4 other folks who are not eliting mechs and have their modules. If in sub 300 engine mediums make sure there is a plan to be able to catch squirrels. Kick any member of your party who does not actively engage at the same time as the group and make crows or novas priority to get them to overheat. Flamers seem to work better in IS vs Clan, and in a 55 tonner ams w 1/2 ton on 2-3 mechs hurts crows. I personally have better luck with xl and extra firepower and speed. Just do not look a mech in the face unless you weapons are burning or you are in a 1v1 with a faster cooldown and are trying to take a location out.

This is kinda basic stuff that is boring but so is wearing cleats in mud or showing up to work on time. They work and beating the other team is really fun enough to make.

The big issue is not Clan and IS it is the fact that newer players are attracted to the price of is mechs and jump in with bad builds with few skills and try to play like pug que.

Edited by Chuck Jager, 01 July 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#10 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

Been destroying scrows all day with my tanky HBK.

#11 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:53 PM

You can run a 4 man Locust scouting team to gather loads of intel, but that gets sketchy when you have to get to the dropship or actually have to attack the enemies, especially if one happens to be a streakboat.

Other way is to run powerful brawling loadouts consisting of ASRMs, AC20s, and sometimes medium pulse lasers or some flamers. Basically just run one of those builds, shoot enemy in the leg twice, leg is gone, repeat for other leg, win. Its pretty easy, very simple, enemy can't even twist to defend against it.

Also I recommend actually not bringing an XL engine if you are 55 tons, you don't actually *need* to go storm crow speed, rather bringing a good STD engine works wonders. In 55 tonners an STD 275 are what I recommend.

Griffin 2n with STD 275 and quad ASRM6 and ECM is easy mode, just two shot enemy legs or ST, spread damage around, if they focus a side torso to try to quickly kill you they realize that you are still up and alive and they are crippled and overheating, then you finish them off. Other mechs can do pretty well, though in my opinion Griffin is the best for killing enemies.

ECM even adds the bonus against uncoordinated groups that their sensors are cut from their team's, so if they are split and not chatting you can take them unaware without attracting the attention from the rest of their team. Also if you are a 4 man team with good enough focus fire you can get 2 guys for right leg and 2 guys for left leg then just kill enemies in a single volley and repeat 4x a match.

#12 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostKaveli, on 01 July 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

I am one of those people who runs streakcrows in scouting. (Shame, Shame, Shame)

However this week we are Inner Sphere as a unit and I am totally lost. Could I get a few builds and tips from the community on how you run your IS scouting matches? Much appreciated!

Don't bother. Thats the best tip I can offer.

#13 Excalabur50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 123 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Tried almost every IS mech last night for scouting and lost constantly to streak storms and jenners, IS lights and mediums are Useless ATM even crab 27 x2 with dual ams couldn't survive long.
Everyone pissed and moaned about oxcides being op so now they have been nerfed into the ground and die from one shot and yet PGI are still allowing these totally op streak srm boats which just goes to prove if you whinge the loudest you get to keep your op mechs six streak srm6's that reach out over 600 meters is just ridiculous

#14 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

Like I said don't bother. Don't join the crowd of seals for the clans to club.

#15 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

IS Scouts go two ways. Either you avoid the Streakcrows, or you outbrawl the Streakcrows.

Durability matters, which is why the Hunchback-SP is popular. SRMs are powerful brawl tools, so the Griffin works as well. Some Blackjacks will do if you've got good aim. Mobility kills are best kills.

Or you pick lights that can outrun the Crows- thus, things like Locust recon lances. 35-40 tonners are generally suicide, as a SCrow can ruin them with a barrage or two.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostPholkLorr, on 01 July 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

How do you know what kind of map you will drop in to?

Also, how do you know if youre atking, defending or counter atking?

The map comes up during the 1min countdown to drop

The mode is displayed at the top in the drop lobby. It'll say something along the lines of "collect intel" or "protect intel"

#17 Obelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Streakcrows are basically IWIN in scouting unless they are played by a moron. In theory you could kite them from range but that's tough.

Edited by Obelus, 01 July 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#18 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

View PostObelus, on 01 July 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Streakcrows are basically IWIN in scouting unless they are played by a moron. In theory you could kite them from range but that's tough.

You mean played against by morons. Or lights XD.

If you can't pwn skillcrow teams you will never get past really dangerous SCRs with good builds. The skill scrow is only a light counter and is directly countered by IS brawl meds, The skillcrows high spread (can't target the XL) and lower DPS of the build gives IS brawl meds great odds in 1v1 scenario.

#19 Obelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 01 July 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

You mean played against by morons. Or lights XD.

If you can't pwn skillcrow teams you will never get past really dangerous SCRs with good builds. The skill scrow is only a light counter and is directly countered by IS brawl meds, The skillcrows high spread (can't target the XL) and lower DPS of the build gives IS brawl meds great odds in 1v1 scenario.

Not familiar with "skillcrows". That another name for streakcrows?

#20 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 01 July 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Also I recommend actually not bringing an XL engine if you are 55 tons, you don't actually *need* to go storm crow speed, rather bringing a good STD engine works wonders. In 55 tonners an STD 275 are what I recommend.

I have managed to stay out of range of the srm std engine mechs in my crow. Or at least to the point where their spread is to great and the speed too slow. YUP an AC20 does do the trick and is worth the trade in speed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users