Am I screwed?

21 replies to this topic

#1 ObsidianFox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

I recently got a High Performance laptop from HP, but I'm not so sure about its ability to play MWO..

CPU: is an Intel i5-2430m @ 2.40GHz, 2 cores
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics Family (uhhhh??)

#2 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Because of that graphics card, yes in all likelyhood.

#3 Dahzer

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

go to canyourunit.com and pick crysis 2 it is a close comparison

#4 Ragenule

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Anything that says it's GPU is Intel HD is useless for playing current games, as it is integrated into the Motherboard, meaning it will be using up CPU time, as well as on-board RAM up to 128MB.

Short version: Intel HD is crap for gaming. Good for office work, web surfing, watching movies...but nothing that requires a good GPU.

#5 LordDread

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

dunno im currently builting a new system, get the gfx later today, but ive been playing wot at medium at 30-35 fps, with the intell Hd onboard gfx set to use 1gb, smooth as silk, might help that i have an i7 and 16gb ram to start with ... motherboard is a ga z77x-d3h

#6 Poine

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

get a cheap card either a nvidia or ati 120 bucks worth of video and you should be ok as long as its a desktop with a free pci-e slot might need a new power supply to id get a corsair 750 watt for future upgrades

#7 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostPoine, on 26 July 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

get a cheap card either a nvidia or ati 120 bucks worth of video and you should be ok as long as its a desktop with a free pci-e slot might need a new power supply to id get a corsair 750 watt for future upgrades

if you bothered to read what the OP said, you would know it is a laptop.

#8 ObsidianFox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

The desktop is fine, but I'm heading to college in less than a month, so that'll be out of the question.

Uhhh, what about a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics

Edited by ObsidianFox, 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#9 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

View PostObsidianFox, on 26 July 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

The desktop is fine, but I'm heading to college in less than a month, so that'll be out of the question.

Uhhh, what about a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics

that should do fine at lower settings + resolutions

#10 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

OP: I was checking on notebooks lately and found the following website to be helpful when assessing Crysis 2 performance (assuming a close approximation for MW performance). Here's the link for the 630M and if you scroll down a bit, you'll find that it runs 'acceptable' on medium settings and okay-ish on higher settings, depending on the rest of your hardware.

#11 Valgorn47

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Will have to say GPU kills it for gaming

#12 ObsidianFox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 27 July 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

OP: I was checking on notebooks lately and found the following website to be helpful when assessing Crysis 2 performance (assuming a close approximation for MW performance). Here's the link for the 630M and if you scroll down a bit, you'll find that it runs 'acceptable' on medium settings and okay-ish on higher settings, depending on the rest of your hardware.

Thank you very much!

#13 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

to the original poster.

In all likliehood, you will not even be able to run the game, very few intel Graphic chip sets even come close to the specs needed. For one thing, DX11 if your specific hd graphics does not have the capability (and most do not) then you are done for this game at this point. Keep looking about though, there are various options
http://lifehacker.co...video-card-dock

An older solution, but still relatively current. You can also buy varios usb GPU's from many sources. It all equals more money, but less then a new laptop or desktop. Good luck!!

#14 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

The graphics card is the only problem you have there (that I can see), so just rip that out and go grab a new one.

#15 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostBrenden, on 27 July 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

The graphics card is the only problem you have there (that I can see), so just rip that out and go grab a new one.

Do you know what Intel integrated graphics are? You do know it's kinda part of the silicon that the CPU is a part of as well? And you do realize that it is a laptop, right?

Some people...

#16 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Nevertheless, he brings up a point to consider: upgrade-ability.
OP, can you give us the brand and model number to find out?

#17 ObsidianFox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Select Edition Entertainment PC

#18 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 27 July 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Nevertheless, he brings up a point to consider: upgrade-ability.
OP, can you give us the brand and model number to find out?

It takes a steady hand, and a huge skill set to upgrade a laptop man, it is not something I would send a non-tekky off to do without feeling like I just killed their laptop. Mostly, it is not really even possible, especially for standard lappy toppys, like a lenovo thinkpad, they just do not leave room with an eye towards upgrading, not to mention, if there is any warranty, once you crack that case for anything but memory upgrade, it is gone, poof bang no more warranty (although this one is old enough I think it is gone anyway).

my bad, HP...not sure where I got lenovo.....same points still apply however...

#19 NikkoKilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

this is a desktop right? ...

couldnt resist =]

I have a Lenovo t410 that I use for work with the same scummy integrated graphics card but have around 8 gigs of ram.Diablo 3 runs fine on it, but not much else will. If you are psyched on the game save a few hundred bucks and build yourself a reasonably inexpensive gaming PC for around 500.

#20 ObsidianFox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostWhenKatzComes, on 27 July 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

this is a desktop right? ...

couldnt resist =]

I have a Lenovo t410 that I use for work with the same scummy integrated graphics card but have around 8 gigs of ram.Diablo 3 runs fine on it, but not much else will. If you are psyched on the game save a few hundred bucks and build yourself a reasonably inexpensive gaming PC for around 500.

A little difficult to do while in college :|

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users