A question to the founders ONLY: Joysticks or Mouse?

105 replies to this topic

Poll: I am a founder and I will use: (441 member(s) have cast votes)

Joystick or Mouse?

1. Joystick (251 votes [51.12%])

Percentage of vote: 51.12%

2. Mouse (240 votes [48.88%])

Percentage of vote: 48.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 GamingWithVersarius

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAshland VA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I am a mouse man.

#62 Morhadel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostXantus, on 17 July 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

Im going to try both and stick with whatever I am am able to "leg" with the best.

lol F-ing leggers
I got a joystick to play Veng with I am in the market for another now.

#63 Nachocheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

View Postamadgnome, on 17 July 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

So you are going to play with two joysticks? That also have about half the movement the pots allow?

the sticks on the controller arent really comparable with a real joysick.
one is controlled with the thumbs and the other one is controlled with the whole hand.

also with two sticks one can be used for movement and the other one for aiming, played World of Tanks, bf 3 on pc and other things with it.
works good for me.

#64 Hexxus

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostWootus, on 16 July 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

This is NOT another joystick vs. mouse thread. This is to see who out of the people that are actually supporting this game financially are going to use joysticks or mice. Basically whichever is more proves once and for all which input method should be catered towards by the game designers.

(I have a feeling many non-founders will be voting so this poll is most likely not going to be accurate but whatever ^_^ )

Well, you say it's not a joystick vs. mouse thread, then go right on to say that this should be the definitive answer for the mouse vs. joystick question, so, it IS a joystick vs. mouse thread, of which there are allready a ton.

And I will tell you that mouse and keyboard will ALWAYS, until we do away with them all together, be the default control scheme. Everyone that has a computer has a mouse and keyboard. I'd say less then 50% have gamepads/joysticks, and of those, how many use them for everything?

And why does the fact that someone spent money on a game make their opinion any more valid then anothers? This is a poorly thought out thread all-in-all.

#65 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostViper69, on 17 July 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Same here. Be linking my arm weapons to my head tracker.

I have not used TrackIR, I was thinking about linking the arms to the small stick on the throttle of my x52 pro. It would be difficult to become good with it but I think it might work with practice.

#66 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

But it would have been pretty lame if they recovered a mouse as ultimate Mech-controlling device and secret weapon against the clans.

#67 pseudolife

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

this concept makes me sad, i have a sneaky suspicion mice will be dominate, cause then its like youre playing a shooter.

but this is mechs damnit, mice should be disabled. alas, the game industry has never been able to withstand the droning cry of the masses. i'll probably have to get used to mouse control. :D

#68 Kraktzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

If I had a joystick/throttle device to use I would gladly learn to use that. But alas, all I have is my Death Adder...

#69 Col Onoscopy

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

I will be using a mouse, my wife will be using the artemis when it comes out, and I will probably give it a try.
I tried clicking both mouse and joystick boxes, but I couldnt seem to do it fast enough. Thank god twitch reflex isnt as important in this game.

#70 Whiskey Seven

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Mouse/Keyboard at first, HOTAS later.

#71 Duymon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

The learning curve on joysticks is steeper but the satisfaction of using HOTAS with rudder pedals is too good to pass up.

A good suggestion would be to have rudders bound to turning while the x-axis on right stick is set to torso twist. Also would be good to get a stick without a stiff spring to center (preferably no spring like the sidewinder force feedback of old and hopefully the upcoming artemis)

Edited by Duymon, 17 July 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#72 Duymon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostComguard, on 17 July 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

But it would have been pretty lame if they recovered a mouse as ultimate Mech-controlling device and secret weapon against the clans.

I can just see it now. Mechwarrior with lostech keyboard and mouse about to kick arse but....oops....his mech's software just paused while all his MFD (multi function displays) just returned to desktop.

Mechwarrior then dies as he is shot up while frantically trying to alt-tab back in.

Windows key strikes again in 3049

Edited by Duymon, 17 July 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#73 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostSilentSooYun, on 16 July 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

Given that it's a multiple-choice poll, it's accuracy is nil to begin with.
I did check both because I plan on mixing the two systems: HOTAS for general piloting and mouse for when I need the extra accuracy. Most likely stick to the stick at first, though, because I'll be in my Cat and LRMs don't need a lot of precision.

Yeah, I'm hoping to use both, too. Joystick for piloting, mouse for arm aiming.
Really, if they support both I think this might turn into a popular control set. The joystick is just better for maneouvring type control while the mouse is just better for fast but accurate movement in feild of view aka arm aiming.

#74 Scrooloos

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMariposa, CA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I plan on playing with a joystick. Mechwarrior itself just sort of seems to make sense with a joystick. However if a mouse and keyboard play better for me I'll stay with them instead.

It's been stated many many times now I'm sure, but it's a matter of preference.

Now if I had one of those capsule setups like the HOTAS or the like it would be different. A person doesn't spend that kind of money because they just prefer a joystick. To the folks who have one of these it's the only way to play.

I myself am consindering the Artemis if I like the way MWO plays with a joystick, or I may even wait until 2013 and grab that dual stick Mech Fu controller for Hawken to use with MWO.

Edited by Scrooloos, 17 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#75 Thunderbolt300

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

Both at the same time. Mouse in the dominant (torso control, weapons), joystick in the alternate (leg control, overrides, power).

Dual wielding.

#76 Mantis

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'll be using both B)

#77 Devlin Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'm getting the Artemis.

#78 Tezkat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Mouse for me.

My mouse accuracy and tracking are pretty good. With a joystick or gamepad, I have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn. B)

#79 Mechxican JAKE

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostWirecutter, on 16 July 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

hey at least its trending away from legging...

personally im using a mouse. i'll try to get my gamepad working with it, but i cant seem to get used to a joystick....

Gamepads are just as awkward/sluggish to use for a mech game unless you're one of those Cod champion-sh!ts. Trust me its a waste of your time reconfiguring a gamepad....

a 15-button mouse is way better lol

#80 Nachocheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostMechxican JAKE, on 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Gamepads are just as awkward/sluggish to use for a mech game unless you're one of those Cod champion-sh!ts. Trust me its a waste of your time reconfiguring a gamepad....

a 15-button mouse is way better lol

i could say the same about a joystick cause i cant play with it at all, but that wouldnt be true for other players.
ill stick with my xbox 360 controller cause 2 sticks and 18 buttons should be enough, also since its wireless i can lean back with my epic chair that could almost act like a bed.

also arent 15 buttons on a mouse confusing?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users