Streakcrow Vs Smpl Nova In Scouting

42 replies to this topic

#21 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

If only gathering intel actually could get you the needed match score for the event, you'd see ecm lolcusts everywhere. Lots of 0 damage matches...

#22 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 06 July 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

If only gathering intel actually could get you the needed match score for the event, you'd see ecm lolcusts everywhere. Lots of 0 damage matches...

True that -- PGI's messed up scoring system for the loss yet again -- conquest mode anyone?

Edited by nehebkau, 06 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 July 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

Lily, being a {Richard Cameron} helps no one. The problem is a 70+ alpha nova (small laser/small pulse laser 2-shot alpha) and a 65+ alpha crow (small laser/small pulse laser 2-shot alpha) mech running in scouting mode that has no counterpart on the other side. Those damage values are, currently, in assault mech range and given that scouting happens at close range at some point in the match only an idiot would not realize how this could piss off IS pilots.

How would clanners feel if PGI gave IS a griffon variant that had 14 energy hardpoints on it? I now exactly what would happen, rivers of tears would endlessly flow and the cries of "IS OP IS OP!" would ring out across the land.

Lets not kid ourselves with bovine scat -- in the hands of a pilot who can even marginally aim and control their heat those two clan mechs eat up IS mechs.

@ the OP -- the nova, though slow, is a BRUTE (Unless you have focus-fire IS pilots who are taking out your legs you will take a ton of abuse before going down). The structure on it and the massive alpha make them nasty.... but consider the equally good smpl crow for its speed. You can't go wrong with either. And ignore the streak-crow they spread damage out too much and you will lose against an IS smpl 45 tonner.

and the 70+ alpha jenners are fine? How much time does a streakcrow needs to get that alpha off? quite alot. And how often can a NVA perform this before running hot? Given you even let that short range nova reahc you, which you obviously shouldn't. And that high alpha scr is not good, any cent is better with his focus fire weapons. Yes it pisse speople off, but it pisses them off ebcause they are unable to see what they do wrong THEMSELVES, and then they blame someone else LOL.

Posted Image
How often does the average pilot need to get killed by a streakcrow to try something else than running into hsi death the SAME WAY over and OVER AGAIN?

you can't deny this needs a specific amount of derp to start happening.
I don't mind a 14 energypoint griffin, and you knwo why? clanners also scout vs clanners and so we face them too. And we know how to counter them and we know what to avoid. So why is it for some specific IS pilots so damn hard while even some other IS pilots don't care and know how to deal with it?

Is mechs have better heat efficient weapons, and PP wepaons, they can and will on same and good skillevel dismantle those two clanmechs. There is just two kind of people, those who imporve themselves and those who want to push the opponent at a disadvantage. Ones are those who really will evlolve, the others will just stay where they are.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 July 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#24 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:50 AM

Pulsecrow is scarier to me than either. My SHD eats them both, though.

#25 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 July 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

How often does the average pilot need to get killed by a streakcrow to try something else than running into hsi death the SAME WAY over and OVER AGAIN?

Did i say a damn thing about streakcrows? I was talking about a frigging huge alpha from point damage novas and crows. Sheesh. You can try to twist the argument as much as you want but 65+ and 75+ over 2 seconds on a single component is crazy for medium mechs. (NOTICE THE WORDS ON SINGLE COMPONENTS i.e. not spread out as in SRMs or SSRMs)

#26 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

Went last night with a group of ERSLas and SPLas Novas. Out of 20 games, we lost only 1 game. We did, indeed, run across 4 man premades, as well as several 3 mans. It did not matter. One poor 4-man group of Atlas Hunters got eliminated by a group of only three of us within 20 seconds of contact. This isn't an exaggeration. We just focused two people per mech, picked a leg at random, and watched people keel over before they knew what was going on.

Hilariously, the one game we did lose on was on Grim Plexus, by a two man team of erllas and lplas Locusts, while the enemy Cicada and Griffin ran like hell from our deathwaddles. The Novaspam didn't work quite as well on maps like Polar Highlands, where our extreme close range could be punished, but it didn't fail there, either. We were getting very good at corralling faster enemy pilots in maps, by the end of the night.

Kanajashi even streamed a good deal of it.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 06 July 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#27 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 06 July 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Went last night with a group of ERSLas and SPLas Novas. Out of 20 games, we lost only 1 game. We did, indeed, run across 4 man premades, as well as several 3 mans. It did not matter. One poor 4-man group of Atlas Hunters got eliminated by a group of only three of us within 20 seconds of contact. This isn't an exaggeration. We just focused two people per mech, picked a leg at random, and watched people keel over before they knew what was going on.

Hilariously, the one game we did lose on was on Grim Plexus, by a two man team of erllas and lplas Locusts, while the enemy Cicada and Griffin ran like hell from our deathwaddles. The Novaspam didn't work quite as well on maps like Polar Highlands, where our extreme close range could be punished, but it didn't fail there, either. We were getting very good at corralling faster enemy pilots in maps, by the end of the night.

The Nova has basically been buffed to the level of a IS medium. It not only has structure quirks but also heatgen quirks on some of the omnipods. In addition it has a smaller profile thanks to the resizing. Many people dislike it because of the slow speed but I think the JJs make up for that in a brawl. That coupled with the firepower the mech can put on the table along with tankiness makes it the better choice.

#28 Samedi Wretch

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostB0oN, on 03 July 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

5MPL Crow ;)

I prefer 6 mpl's myself. 3 in the left arm, 1 in each side torso and one in the head. Been having a lot of success with that in scouting mode. The mediums are long enough to out distance the srm Griffins and duration is short enough to put the hurt on the lights.

#29 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

I imagine that a lot of Clan pilots are losing their aiming skills from dropping too many times in Skillcrows. ;)

#30 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 July 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

I imagine that a lot of Clan pilots are losing their aiming skills from dropping too many times in Skillcrows. Posted Image

Been spreading the word of wub to the peasants. Trying to lift them up from the shackles of self-induced oppression. Even got two puggies to switch to lasers, and ambush the defenders with me. It was a very short and painful match.

For the defenders.

#31 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Another example of the balanced scout modus. Hail to the win button.

#32 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

View PostsamadhiVOID, on 06 July 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

I prefer 6 mpl's myself. 3 in the left arm, 1 in each side torso and one in the head. Been having a lot of success with that in scouting mode. The mediums are long enough to out distance the srm Griffins and duration is short enough to put the hurt on the lights.

Thats what I derived the 5mpl one off of .
Started with 6mpls, found it too hot in heavy brawls, tried out 5, worked better for my playstyle . As an additional bonus the 5mpl SCR doesnt lose half of its firepower by just removing 1 arm .

View PostJoey Tankblaster, on 06 July 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

Another example of the balanced scout modus. Hail to the win button.

Daaaawww, poor Joey .
Here, have a can of pity .
PFFFFF
:P

#33 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

That nova touched me ... I can't tell you where - it's soo shameful.

#34 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:42 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 July 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Did i say a damn thing about streakcrows? I was talking about a frigging huge alpha from point damage novas and crows. Sheesh. You can try to twist the argument as much as you want but 65+ and 75+ over 2 seconds on a single component is crazy for medium mechs. (NOTICE THE WORDS ON SINGLE COMPONENTS i.e. not spread out as in SRMs or SSRMs)

beams only are single component hit if the target does not twist properly. sry this is still a nonsense argument.

yes and it shows very clearly too many pilots battle it out andnot in a clever way, thats why they get crushed then, The lolcusts did scouting as it was meant to be vs slower and more armed opponents. There is too much brawler mentality in scoutmode.

Edited by Lily from animove, 07 July 2016 - 01:44 AM.

#35 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 07 July 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

yes and it shows very clearly too many pilots battle it out andnot in a clever way, thats why they get crushed then, The lolcusts did scouting as it was meant to be vs slower and more armed opponents. There is too much brawler mentality in scoutmode.

Agreed in the clever bit. While it was irritating to try and fight, I wasn't mad. They were playing to their mechs' strengths, and did it well. I cannot fault someone for that!

#36 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

So far I ran the 10 SL Nova in Scouting and it works like a charm. Juicy Griffin STs Posted Image

For wubs and lols I sometimes take my 5Mpl Adder. Everyone shoots the Crows Posted Image

#37 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 06 July 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Been spreading the word of wub to the peasants. Trying to lift them up from the shackles of self-induced oppression. Even got two puggies to switch to lasers, and ambush the defenders with me. It was a very short and painful match.

For the defenders.

Yep.
Any clanner who isn't running the smpl/er-sml crows and novas in scouting is doing it wrong.

View PostLily from animove, on 07 July 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

beams only are single component hit if the target does not twist properly. sry this is still a nonsense argument.

I can torso-twist my legs! OMG how do I do that! I didn't realize I had back and side armor on my legs! Wow! Keep trying to shore up your position -- its nice to see you fail.

I know you are scared of PGI nerfing your mechs -- you have reason to be its what they do. I just want a blackjack with 14 energy hardpoints and a griffon with 12 energy hardpoints rather than nerfing the SCR and NVA.

Jeeze

Edited by nehebkau, 07 July 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#38 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 07 July 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Yep.
Any clanner who isn't running the smpl/er-sml crows and novas in scouting is doing it wrong.

I can torso-twist my legs! OMG how do I do that! I didn't realize I had back and side armor on my legs! Wow! Keep trying to shore up your position -- its nice to see you fail.

I know you are scared of PGI nerfing your mechs -- you have reason to be its what they do. I just want a blackjack with 14 energy hardpoints and a griffon with 12 energy hardpoints rather than nerfing the SCR and NVA.

Jeeze

PGI probably wont nerf the Nova or Stormcrow because of scouting. Too be honest I dont quite understand where all your saltiness is coming from. Ive been fighting in scouting all week and IS can hold their own with the Griffon, Cent, Hunchie, and Shadowhawk. After im done with this contract I plan on switching to IS myself. There are certain mechs in my garage that im eager to try out in scouting such as the Partyback and the Wolverine 6R. I also look forward to dusting off my cents and hunchies as well.

On a sidenote I dont know why I dont see more WVR 6R in scouting. 42% cooldown on the AC5 with 682meters range and you cant overheat no matter what map you have. Slap a flamer in the head in case they get close and go to work. The thing is a larger Cent that just spits out pain from the right arm.Maybe im missing something but it seems to me it would be a great addition to any lance.

Edited by beerandasmoke, 07 July 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#39 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:13 AM

View Postbeerandasmoke, on 07 July 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

On a sidenote I dont know why I dont see more WVR 6R in scouting.

I've tried it. This build does not encourage torso twisting and you can get easily cored if you get carried away with the dakka. The range is meaningless in Scouting - with all the available cover your enemies can enter brawling range without getting hit. If you stay behind and just dakka at the enemies who shoot at your teammates you will most certainly loose the match. One flamer is not enough to matter when the clanners can bring 6 in one arm.

You can try 2xAC5 3xSRM2 for a total of 21 DPS with cooldown modules. Seems like a lot but a Nova can shoot 12 ERSL within 1,5 seconds doing 60 damage or 40 DPS during this period.
In comparison, a Shadowhawk-2D2 can also reach 21 DPS with AC10 and 4xSRM4 but it can also torsotwist, while maintaining max dps.

Edited by Kmieciu, 08 July 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#40 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:36 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 07 July 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Yep.

Jeeze

you are right, some people are just magicans, and for some reason their legs have magical protection. But that only happens when you reahc level 4 magican and choose manalegshields in your skilltree.

maybe, protecting legs is something one CAN do given you don't rush into an open area battle. But obviously, you can't do it.
you may also realise some pilots have troubles in situations others don't. What may the cause of this probably be?

And good luck with all that hardpoints, they aren't even optimised dps at such high numbers.

View PostKmieciu, on 08 July 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I've tried it. This build does not encourage torso twisting and you can get easily cored if you get carried away with the dakka. The range is meaningless in Scouting - with all the available cover your enemies can enter brawling range without getting hit. If you stay behind and just dakka at the enemies who shoot at your teammates you will most certainly loose the match. One flamer is not enough to matter when the clanners can bring 6 in one arm.

You can try 2xAC5 3xSRM2 for a total of 21 DPS with cooldown modules. Seems like a lot but a Nova can shoot 12 ERSL within 1,5 seconds doing 60 damage or 40 DPS during this period.
In comparison, a Shadowhawk-2D2 can also reach 21 DPS with AC10 and 4xSRM4 but it can also torsotwist, while maintaining max dps.

yes but the nva doesn'T have the same range so you can do quite a lot damage earlier than the NVA will be able to do. Further in this ballte of mostly 4v4 the nva's will heaily drop in dps once they heat up while the other mechs cna continue shooting wiht stable dps. it pretty much evens out and is moslikely the individuals pilots skill that will decide the winner. Also, your DPS isn't exactly correct, because if you calculate in cooldown the dps will differ. And yes Ac 10 with twistability really gives the edge as it makes the energy based opponents (as long as they are clans) spread and waste damage. hwoever is vs is, with med lasers that are shorter than clan pulses are a real accurate damage per section weapon.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users