Russ Will Review The Lt. Voice Your Opinion.

298 replies to this topic

Poll: Long Tom - Nerf or Remove? (375 member(s) have cast votes)

Long Tom - Nerf or Remove?

1. Nerf it (138 votes [36.80%])

Percentage of vote: 36.80%

2. Remove it (237 votes [63.20%])

Percentage of vote: 63.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:09 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 17 July 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Any change other than removing an arbitrary computer controlled missile coming out of the sky and obliterating 1-12 mechs without any real action taken by the enemy is not good enough. Sorry man, but I came here to shoot mechs, not waste my time watching the computer do it for me.

+1

I don't play to get killed by the computer.
I don't play to have the game kill for me.

#282 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

View PostFallingAce, on 18 July 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

Sorry man, but I came here to shoot mechs, not waste my time watching the computer do it for me.

+1

This, this, a thousand times this.

#283 Tanil Kane

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostFallingAce, on 18 July 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

+1

This.

And from a logic perspective. If your faction had long tom on a planet that you were attacking, why would you even drop mechs? 1 long tom blows up the generators, next blows up Omega. No need for mechs when you can drop nukes every 2 minutes.

#284 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 17 July 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

We got a match..... No wait, another ****ing ghost drop.

Another "victory".

See it says so right here.

Posted Image

well if you would STOP scouting to the point where long-tom is active maybe you would get a drop.... DUH!

#285 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 18 July 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

well if you would STOP scouting to the point where long-tom is active maybe you would get a drop.... DUH!

Disclaimer: Playing this game mode too successfully makes the other game mode unplayable, please make sure you stop playing before you achieve the goals we designed to be the reason to play it in the first place. PGI is in no way responsible for the consequences should you ignore this ridiculous disclaimer, have a nice day.

#286 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Honestly, I didn't do any scouting.

Got told that numbers were close to getting an invasion match and I join a couple of unit mates in a group.

For a three hour period, we got two real matches. And thanks to Tom, about 20-25 minutes of total game time.

Edited by Remover of Obstacles, 20 July 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#287 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 18 July 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Disclaimer: Playing this game mode too successfully makes the other game mode unplayable, please make sure you stop playing before you achieve the goals we designed to be the reason to play it in the first place. PGI is in no way responsible for the consequences should you ignore this ridiculous disclaimer, have a nice day.

And there in lies the absolute inanity of long-tom.... but why doesn't PGI see it? Honestly? Not being bitchy or winey -- I just don't understand how PGI can "tweak" what is, and will always be a bad mechanic. It's like they think their world will collapse is they say "Ok, good idea on paper--really crappy in the real world." and scrap it.

I just don't get it. I have had to ditch many products in my business that I thought would work and didn't. I killed them quickly, figured out what didn't work, and moved on happy that I reacted quickly to the problem and learned from it. What has that gotten me? A business that is about to expand into it's very own new factory and running a nice margin on it's products.\

Anyway, back to work -- lunch is over.

Edited by nehebkau, 18 July 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#288 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

If nerfing was just obtaining a benefit for a radar scan and no long tom maybe this would work. Voted to remove it.

#289 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

If scout queue closes invasion queue then scout queue > invasion queue - ergo, scout queue balance is more critical than invasion queue balance.

Current scout queue balance is off, which skews scouting, which closes invasion queue, which drives players out of FW.

So freaking oblivious.

#290 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 18 July 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

If scout queue closes invasion queue then scout queue > invasion queue - ergo, scout queue balance is more critical than invasion queue balance.

Current scout queue balance is off, which skews scouting, which closes invasion queue, which drives players out of FW.

So freaking oblivious.

You are absolutely right! So, WTH is going on in PGI's offices?

#291 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 18 July 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

You are absolutely right! So, WTH is going on in PGI's offices?

They spent money to code and "develop" the Long Tom, and they are trying to hang onto it, tooth and nail.

In this instance, wasting money would be the better alternative to driving players out of the game-mode and making your company look callous and stubborn.

#292 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

My final suggestion based on the assumption that we must (because PGI refuse to change) keep Long Tom (which still needs to be nerfed further).

At the point that Long Tom becomes available (90%?). Change Scout mode to a capture type mechanic (like conquest). Put 3 randomly placed warehouses on the scout map. Each warehouse contains 1 Long Tom Round. Each Round captured during a successful scout (successful meaning that invading team has to evac too) match goes into a global pool for use during invasion matches. LongTom rounds will be used at the rate they are captured across all concurrent invasion matches. (Ie 3 rounds in the warehouse and 3 concurrent matches, each match gets one LT each, sequentially so no 1 match is over loaded with LT)

The defenders can also capture the warehouses too (for a bonus). Capturing 2 of 3 immediately calls the drop ship, as capturing 10 or 11 beacons does now.

This would severely decrease the number of Long Tom drops and force the faction with Tom to keep dropping in scout matches to keep the ammo flowing (should they choose to do so).

The side without Tom will get to defend the warehouse and evac point or gather intel as now to remove Tom altogether. To make it more interesting you could even increase drop tonnage a bit (65t maybe)

#293 Javenri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:08 AM

If PGI doesn't want to scrap LT completely (due to effort/resources spent) they can turn it into a debuffing mechanism (something like an EM pulse). Mechs inside the 200m zone could loose some mobility, or experience longer cooldowns, or temporarily loose the use of some weapons, etc. with effects dissipating proportional to the distance from the blast center. Decreased combat abitlity is something you can somewhat compensate. A killed mech is... a killed mech.

#294 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

well dropping LTs onto your installations as defenders seem to be a shite move.
while droping LTs into your drop zone is a bad move as attacker - so both regions should be off limits.

So the defender fighting LTs have to flush out - and try spawn camping at all costs - while the attackers have to flush into the base - spawn camping.

At least you don't get killed by LT but by drop ships Posted Image Posted Image

#295 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:45 AM

You guys are still debating this as if the winner of the argument gets his idea plugged in.. They already announced a minimal nerf to the very same exact system that still drops every two minutes on any poor schmucks on the wrong side of unbalanced scouting, which rolls out today... no major changes happening here. They like their long tom and you will too, if they have anything to say about it.. What more is there to debate on this thread ?? I mean, As if.... right ?

#296 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:55 AM

View PostAylward, on 19 July 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

You guys are still debating this as if the winner of the argument gets his idea plugged in.. They already announced a minimal nerf to the very same exact system that still drops every two minutes on any poor schmucks on the wrong side of unbalanced scouting, which rolls out today... no major changes happening here. They like their long tom and you will too, if they have anything to say about it.. What more is there to debate on this thread ?? I mean, As if.... right ?

keep the debate? look LT is similar to ECM in behaviour and bad decisions - but finally ECM is almost worthless - still a poor mechanic but worthless.

#297 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

This ECM and 3PV all over again.

Failure is not an option.

#298 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:20 AM

View PostAylward, on 19 July 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

The Long Tom issue is severe enough to gradually kill FW in a few months.

There is a critical point where people stop queuing simply because to few other players are queuing. This is already the case at increasing intervals each day. If we reach a point where no one is ever playing because no one else is playing it is very hard or impossible to revive it again from that point. It's like HSR, there is a time limit beyond which the electrodes won't get the heart going again.

We can either keep pushing the issue or give up on FW completely. I'm prepared to keep whining a while longer before giving up, because for me it would be giving up the whole game.

#299 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

you need more anti-deathstar so just nerf it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users