It's Omaha Beach All Over Again

17 replies to this topic

#1 -FLY

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

Twice this month I came back playing MWO, playing faction play, only to find omaha beach reboot.
Not a movie, for God's sake, but the game itself, bombarded by long tom's unforgiving power, Slain one by one. So I make this strategy.

1. start with lights or fast mech first, rendezvous towards the enemie's long tom's power source and destroy it.

2. make long tom annihilation as a first priority no matter what.

3. then prepare your assault and heavies to destroy the enemie's mechs

4. what change? 3-4 powerful mechs is needed. Each players need to have their own powerful mechs (not the trials) so the outcome of the game can be more predictable. They are consist of 2 light/medium mechs, 2 heavy and assault mechs.

5. coordinated attack strategies are needed. No rambo players here.....team work is essentials!!!

#2 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

Long tom, satellite sweep, and combat ID are determined by one side or the other accumulating enough scouting points on the planet. There is nothing in the middle of the invasion match to destroy to take it off line. People scouting on that planet can enable or disable those bonuses while an invasion match is ongoing though.

#3 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

View Post-FLY, on 06 July 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Twice this month I came back playing MWO, playing faction play, only to find omaha beach reboot.
Not a movie, for God's sake, but the game itself, bombarded by long tom's unforgiving power, Slain one by one. So I make this strategy.

1. start with lights or fast mech first, rendezvous towards the enemie's long tom's power source and destroy it.

2. make long tom annihilation as a first priority no matter what.

3. then prepare your assault and heavies to destroy the enemie's mechs

4. what change? 3-4 powerful mechs is needed. Each players need to have their own powerful mechs (not the trials) so the outcome of the game can be more predictable. They are consist of 2 light/medium mechs, 2 heavy and assault mechs.

5. coordinated attack strategies are needed. No rambo players here.....team work is essentials!!!

Posted Image

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:56 AM

Umm, OP, ahh, not sure your playing the same game as the rest of us. There is no long tom "power source" to destroy.

That said...

...If there were an actual long tom artillery piece on the map that could be reasonably engaged and destroyed, that might be a way to balance the damn thing, IF it were done right. That last part being a big IF.

#5 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 July 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

Umm, OP, ahh, not sure your playing the same game as the rest of us. There is no long tom "power source" to destroy.

That said...

...If there were an actual long tom artillery piece on the map that could be reasonably engaged and destroyed, that might be a way to balance the damn thing, IF it were done right. That last part being a big IF.

Even after they nerfed it some, Long Tom can be devastating. Still, it is not easy for a side to get and keep 90+% in scouting on a planet. Smart opponents will also rush you when it is about to go off and catch part of your team in the blast as well when you have it.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 06:14 AM, said:

Even after they nerfed it some, Long Tom can be devastating. Still, it is not easy for a side to get and keep 90+% in scouting on a planet. Smart opponents will also rush you when it is about to go off and catch part of your team in the blast as well when you have it.

Yes.

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:26 AM

Heh.

Or, you can just scout enough that the enemy doesn't get Long Toms.

#8 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 July 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Heh.

That was kinda part of my point. It takes a lot to get and keep the 90% for your side on a planet. That much work deserves a pretty big reward.

The answer to dealing with Long Tom or even Satellite Sweep, is go scout for your side and take it away from them.

Edited by Digital_Angel, 07 July 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#9 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostAppogee, on 07 July 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Heh.

I agree that scouting should have a real consequence. But an untouchable, every two minutes, finger of doom that we currently have is just driving people away, not only from the specific planets where the LT is active, but from FP as a whole. Simply telling folks to "scout more" is not going to stem that exodus of players nor attract new ones.

Edited by Bud Crue, 07 July 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 July 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

I agree that scouting should have a real consequence. But an untouchable, every two minutes, finger of doom that we currently have is just driving people away, not only from the specific planets where the LT is active, but from FP as a whole. Simply telling folks to "scout more" is not going to stem that exodus of players nor attract new ones.

I agree with you in principle.

But I'm also a little wary of making the game too namypambywarrior just because people won't scout.

Scouting isn't hard and doesn't take too long. I quite enjoy it, most of the time.

But I guess a less harsh penalty for not scouting would be the right middle ground in terms of player retention.

#11 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

PGI should put in assets for all of the Scouting gained advantages.

If you have the Long Tom, plant a Long Tom in the base and give it some turrets or something for protection. If you have the Satellite Sweep or Mech Recognition plant some other assets and give them some added protection as well. If you have those advantages and you are Invading make those assets look like mobile structures with entrenched tanks for protection.

If you lose the assets you lose the assets for that match and maybe even give a slight reduction to the asset meter for the Scouting missions.

#12 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostZolaz, on 07 July 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

PGI should put in assets for all of the Scouting gained advantages.

If you have the Long Tom, plant a Long Tom in the base and give it some turrets or something for protection. If you have the Satellite Sweep or Mech Recognition plant some other assets and give them some added protection as well. If you have those advantages and you are Invading make those assets look like mobile structures with entrenched tanks for protection.

If you lose the assets you lose the assets for that match and maybe even give a slight reduction to the asset meter for the Scouting missions.

I like this. More stuff to shoot (and get points for). More opportunity for strategy and tactical decisions on both sides.

#13 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 July 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

I like this. More stuff to shoot (and get points for). More opportunity for strategy and tactical decisions on both sides.

Points, now don't go overboard (or even make sense) here. After all collecting intel doesn't even count towards match score in scouting when you are on the team that is specifically supposed to be collecting intel. We all know that we are only supposed to get points for fighting mechs.

</sarcasm>

#14 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

OP just shows that there is not enough info about the ways CW is working.

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Points, now don't go overboard (or even make sense) here. After all collecting intel doesn't even count towards match score in scouting when you are on the team that is specifically supposed to be collecting intel. We all know that we are only supposed to get points for fighting mechs.

</sarcasm>

Talking about different things.

My proposal, and Zolaz specific version of it is to have actual assets (an actual long tom gun for example) present on the map in the INVASION mode, not the scouting mode. The extra stuff to shoot and presumably get points for would be shooting and killing those assets.

As an option by destroying the asset in the invasion mode, you might reduce the scouting percentage for that planet's scouting mode.

Its all academic, none of this will happen. I just think it would be away to provide defenders in the invasion mode with a possible way to mitigate or eliminate the LT, while still allowing it to function as intended.

#16 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

I got that part. I think you missed my point. I was only talking about the lack of much reward in several modes of doing anything other than blowing away the other mechs.

#17 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

I got that part. I think you missed my point. I was only talking about the lack of much reward in several modes of doing anything other than blowing away the other mechs.

Gotcha

But hey now, that's not being fair to PGI. Don't we now get a few point for turrets? :)
My favorite illustration of the reward system was illustrated just last night: a scouting node is worth 2K cbills I think. Some modules cost 6million cbills. So three thousand nodes to get a module. Yea! Scouting!

#18 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

Well true, they did add some reward for turret kills.

Technically they did add 50 XP and 1K C-Bills for capturing an intel point. Still aggravating that you don't get any match score for it at all when even Faction Scouting events have minimum match score on the achievements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users