Help Me Question

35 replies to this topic

#21 Saint Atlas and the Commando Elf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:58 AM

Both are very good mechs but bad choices for OP nevertheless.

Why? Because while your cadet-bonus might be just enough to afford your first Timber or Ebonjag, it will take you forever to grind your second and third mech, which you need to unlock their full potential. By the time you have 3 Timby's in your garage, you will most likely have 30.000 XP on your first chassis piled up.

So choose some IS Mech that works well with a standard engine as first mech (Thunderbolt, Hunchback). That is way cheaper and lets you get 3 variants much quicker.

#22 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,298 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 08 July 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

... 8 JJ shadowcat ...

Excuse me?!?!? Where the hell did you see EIGHT JumpJets on a ShadowCat? I have only ever seen SIX! :blink:

~D. V. "having a 'WTF' moment from confusion" Devnull

#23 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostSthtopokeon, on 08 July 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

Why? Because while your cadet-bonus might be just enough to afford your first Timber or Ebonjag, it will take you forever to grind your second and third mech, which you need to unlock their full potential. By the time you have 3 Timby's in your garage, you will most likely have 30.000 XP on your first chassis piled up.

So choose some IS Mech that works well with a standard engine as first mech (Thunderbolt, Hunchback). That is way cheaper and lets you get 3 variants much quicker.

Dont agree. A hunchie or thud is not on par with a tbr or ebj. If OP wants a timmy or ebj, so be it.

#24 Jaguaar

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

When I started I bought the Hunchie first but quickly bought the TBR after earning enough C-Bills to afford one. I am glad I purchased the TBR because IMO it is the most versatile mech on the board. Now, I am not saying it is the BEST or whatever... I am saying, for a beginner, it is the most versatile. MWO has a steep learning curve and I believe running a mech that is easy to setup and use is key. The TBR is that mech.

For example:
1. It's a Heavy (lots O Armor for a beginner to survive and learn with)
2. It's fast - Hell, a Heavy moving at 87kph is a damn good thing for a beginner
3. It can be built to serve just about any role out there. i.e LRM boat, SRM Boat, Laser vomit, Ballistic boat, mixture of all of them, etc... - To a beginner, this IMO is the most important thing because you need to figure out what your playstyle excels at and having one mech with Omnipods to switch things up is a good thing. Also, your only spending C-Bills on the omnipods and weapons, NOT another full mech to change roles. Total money saver.

Again, the above is MY opinion.. like it or not... it's how I started and am glad I started this way because to this day the TBR is my most favorite mech and my mech of choice for drops. I am not saying the Ebon Jaguar is not good (I really like the EBJ)... it's just not as versatile as the TBR. Starting out is hard enough and there is a TON you need to learn so I would suggest learning in something you can play different roles in. It will NEVER be a light mech but it sure is good at a lot of other things.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is something you truly want to run in because you are going to spend a lot of time in it in the beginning farming c-bills for other variants and mechs for your deck.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!!

#25 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 July 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Excuse me?!?!? Where the hell did you see EIGHT JumpJets on a ShadowCat? I have only ever seen SIX! Posted Image

did you equip 8mgs on a spider first?

#26 D V Devnull

• 4,298 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 08 July 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostKeshav Murali, on 08 July 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

... 8 JJ shadowcat ...

Excuse me?!?!? Where the hell did you see EIGHT JumpJets on a ShadowCat? I have only ever seen SIX! Posted Image

did you equip 8mgs on a spider first?

Again... EXCUSE ME?!?!? There are NOT enough hardpoints on a Spider in MWO to equip 8 Machine Guns on that chassis!!! Posted Image

Further, are you trying to troll me or something? It ain't working!!! Or perhaps did you have a mistranslation from English to Russian? Now THAT would be a shame! Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "staying damn serious, and won't be fooled" Devnull

[Edit by author to keep their own words non-confusing...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 08 July 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#27 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

http://i.imgur.com/dCUljda.jpg

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 08 July 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#28 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostDigital_Angel, on 07 July 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

OK, to clarify: The JJs on the Timber are not enough to let you avoid having to use the stairs. Just because he sees the light and medium JJ mechs going straight up the side of the plateau, don't think that the Timber will be able to do that, even if you max out the JJs.

They are still useful for not getting stuck as much or for jumping/falling off of a rise on bog without taking leg damage in the process.

Yeah you cannot get a 75T mech to jump but you can essentially "skate" up the stairs and not be impeded, you save a few seconds and are so much more mobile on the Bog making JJs there, very handy to reposition/escape etc.

#29 D V Devnull

• 4,298 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 08 July 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, that is NOT in MWO!!! Get back to the future and the Mech Factories with the rest of us!!! :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "I told you I wouldn't be fooled!" Devnull

#30 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 July 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, that is NOT in MWO!!! Get back to the future and the Mech Factories with the rest of us!!! Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "I told you I wouldn't be fooled!" Devnull

pretty sure this is the super OP mega top tier spider OP mech OP

#31 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

If you buy the Timber, get the TBR-A.

A lot of people forget to consider this, since many old players have the older Timberwolf variants and not the new ones.

The TBR-A's 8 omnipod bonus cancels out all the negative quirks from its laser side torso (which is the most desirable Timberwolf omnipod, except it has ridiculous downsides.)

You can't cancel out the omnipod's negative quirks with any other variant.

View PostSthtopokeon, on 08 July 2016 - 04:58 AM, said:

Good point. I would pick the Thunderbolt. Mechbays are a limiting factor as well. The few mechs you get, you are stuck with for quite some time unless, as a new player, you immediately know you are going to be spending money on this game and playing it a lot. For most, that commitment and expenditure so early in the game is kind of insane.. The Thunderbolt is a great starting mech. You can just keep dropping in it, do well, grind out c-bills.

#32 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

I think I confused that with a Cicada...probably.

#33 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 08 July 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I think I confused that with a Cicada...probably.

You can put 8 mg on cicada!!! Omg OP nerf plz!

#34 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

8 JJ..not 8 mg..

I dunno what's gone and made you a MG fanatic.. Posted Image

#35 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 08 July 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

Dont agree. A hunchie or thud is not on par with a tbr or ebj. If OP wants a timmy or ebj, so be it.

plus sometimes, you want to play something for more than just pure efficiency. In this game, I've bought mechs that were considered sub-par simply for nostalgia, or aesthetic reasons.

p.s. the reasons have been expounded upon but ultimately, I feel the TBR can excel in terms of versatility (i.e. jack of all trades) and is an incredibly solid brawler when built right. The EBJ can beat the TBR in certain roles, which makes it attractive given it's lower tonnage.

I'm a huge EBJ proponent (my favorite mech in game) but for a newer player who's narrowed his choices down to these mechs, I'd recommend the TBR. More forgiving, more versatility. Master it and then move on the EBJ to find where it really shines!

Edited by Lukoi Banacek, 08 July 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#36 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

Timberwolf no contest. More armour, jump capable, more versatile, better hardpoints. The EBJ is too wide if you use the arm weapons, you'll find a lot of missed shots when side peeking.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users