80 replies to this topic

#41 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:17 PM

It is the job of CMs to keep in touch with the community - a CM should be the handler between dev and community.

But this very simple principle is already broken. So who is to blame - I don't think the CMs - because they can only do what they are ordered to do.
So maybe is dropping every Friday with a minor part of the community the job of the CMs? I don't think so.

A very actual issue: the twitter feed where Russ asks about the LT.
Seriously this simple fact shows what is completely broken to a horrendous level.
  • The reason for asking?
    • just to be chatty? - Bad reason
    • he really don't know? - Failing of the CM
  • So in case he didn't know
    • why did the CM didn't deliver the message
    • why did the CM didn't deliver the ideas to solve the issue
  • Reason the CM didn't deliver
    • he didn't get paid for reading the forums
    • he didn't get paid for presenting ideas
    • he didn't get paid for actual communication
Another failing of the role of the CM in PGIs company plan - when did you see the last time a CM merging or moderating a topic?

You have volunteer Moderators that do this job and they also focusing and influence the opinion of the community.
So the better CMs in PGIs own game forums are those guys that didn't get paid.

This should show you how important the community is - so we can be as toxic and salty we like - the only thing that will change is the mental state of the in volunteer CMs (aka Mods)

Edited by Karl Streiger, 07 July 2016 - 10:19 PM.

#42 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 07 July 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

This community is among the best in online games. They have successful lives, are well mannered, mature, and polite.

In Bizarro World, yes.

#43 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 07 July 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

Why is it that I never seem to find these people?

Worst I ever find is an LRM boat alone.

Usually they're the ones that die in seconds, often before you even see the paperdoll show up. Fun times are had when you die, wonder what the guys behind you were doing, and you spectate to find them in builds that couldn't shoot their way out of a paper bag.

#44 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostRagingOyster, on 07 July 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

So,

A better reason for game population stagnation is http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5279806

And its PGI's fault they dont know how balance game mechanicks, "news" features ( in fact basic feature which could be implemented day one in any others games like voice IP, LFG or command wheel ) they dont know how balance players populations, or units populations.

This game is a beta as 3D engine/world and still an alpha as gamemechanicks state.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 07 July 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#45 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:57 PM

It is also very common to have many new accounts created for a free to play game released on Steam. It is also very common for the active accounts to drop off as newer titles are released or even when the "let's try it out" players have tried it out and are now off trying whatever is the new thing to try out.

I'm not panicking at least net yet.

If PGI wants to see a resurgance of active accounts the way to go would be to start to put a great deal of effort into a solid performing PVE component.This will draw in players who are not huge on PvP but will likely try it once they have been hooked.

#46 ady1990

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

I gave up on this game about 12 months ago I could see where it was going, I started trolling team killing , Yeah I know i'm a douche I don't care lol,

Hell I cant even remember my main forum account , The game became so bad it wasn't even worth trolling, I haven't logged in , in over a year glad to see things have picked up lmfao.

#47 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:49 AM

Every F2P game has a toxic player community online. Try Armored Warfare's forums. They are much worse. I don't even read them, I just play the game. At least I post here from time to time. Though I will say that in my opinion adding visible PSR rankings and leaderboard stats have made the community more toxic.

#48 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

W8 w8 OP, youre claiming that game is dying because community is mean and asks for most basic stuff like "learn to play the game"??

How comes then that dota 2 and csgo face no such problem despite communities so toxic that in a week you can learn to shitpost in russian at 4chan lvl of expertise and find out that your mother slept with thousand ppl in that time...

You need to be divorced from reality if you think that toxic communities can drive players off... In a world where most popular games got most toxic communities...

View PostBelacose, on 07 July 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

In Bizarro World, yes.

Actually community here is overly polite.

I havent heard cyka blyat for over a month... This is internet ffs, this aint normal.

Edited by davoodoo, 08 July 2016 - 05:15 AM.

#49 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

Another unicorn poo eating thread.

The base is shrinking because new players find out after 25 games they have to withstand lots of non stop slaughter to get a module slot filled or grind endlessly for the new mech then grind endlessly to put weapons on it then grind endlessly for the next only to find out that its not very good to begin with and have to listen to "get better noob" from the whales and exploiters.

Then they find out that all about sums up the game play here. You can move to Faction warfare and find you can do quick play four times in one match of the same gameplay and wait long for a match for the privilege to do so.

Or you can drop in group and wait 20 minutes for a three minute match.

You can't enjoy the mech lab because your broke all the time and need that one thing for that mech you just spent 20 straight hours losing in.

Nah, game is bad, has been and still is. It was pretty fun just after open beta because all the freaks were on and it was entertainment from the grind to see stupid moves, silly strategy and Team killers galore and non stop adult language in chat. And you got paid twice what you do now to bear it all. Been downhill ever since.

But most of all I think whats killed the game is paying for the privilege of having bullocks insult the base over and over again.

But I am on an island. Pay no attention to what i say. Myself I am in good company here without all the unicorn poo eaters.

#50 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 08 July 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

the unicorn poo eaters.

hahahaha, that`s a good one

#51 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 July 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

So you say.

It's a proven fact that Russ himself outright insulted the community not once but twice over the last couple years.

First there was the whole "You're on an Island" affair, which persisted for quite a while, then, oh lordy, then in one of the more recent town halls he pretty much stated that "you all should be grateful the game even exists, we know what we're doing, you don't"... Despite repeated examples to the contrary where the community pointed out this or that feature will not work the way you think it will... PGI puts it in anyway, and oh, a couple weeks to a month later... Yeah, that thing we put in last time, turns out the community was right.

So... Your post... 0/10. Try again.

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 07 July 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

One, the steam numbers aren't even half the story. Second, the in game leader boards are actually pretty reasonable to see how alive the community is, yeah sure there are people doing only one match per class of mech but, at the same time you can sort it, look at everyone with more than say 20 games played, I bet it isn't so small as 5k players, the 19k that the leaderboard has is I feel pushing it, but, active players? I would wager is probably around 10k of active players, 15k or so during events for quick play, only PGI can tell us for certain but the quickplay leader boards tell us part of the picture.

Supposedly at one point MWO had an actual player counter in the main menu like World of Warships and a few other games have, then PGI pulled it out when either numbers started dipping too low or the community pointed out that numbers were dipping too low... I don't know, I wasn't there for that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I... honestly have seen little hostility in game beyond the rare ragers who flip out when someone clicks back in and grazes them by accident and then goes nuts and wipes out the rest of the assault lance in their 4xUAC5 king crab. I have seen a few people do shaming for load outs or taking certain mechs, but, that was mostly in tier 5 which is... a mess. In tier 4 most people are cheery and assume people taking a mech with a certain loadout is because they are doing it for a reason. But, everything I have heard is T4 is a weird place compared to everywhere else in the PSR brackets.

I don't know what tier 5s you've been up against but the last time I played... Which was admittedly months ago at this point... There was a surprising amount of teamwork going on in most games I played, and most people were running almost fully meta mechs.

Granted I can't tell you if these were actual tier 5s or alt accounts that people tanked on purpose, but that's neither here nor there.

In terms of toxicity MWO is far better than any other f2p game that is set around matches (instead of wandering about). WoT you can count on seeing insults flying before you have even finished loading into the game, same with LoL, or DotA, even World of Warships. MWO's playerbase isn't without it's toxicity of players who have personal axes to grind with devs, game mechanics, or in some situations certain weapon groups. Still though, people attacking others for their load out or being in a trial mech is absurd and should always be reported, we should not tolerate people attacking others for trying things out and learning.

Again, I don't know what games you've played in World of Warships, but I've been playing that primarily for months, about the same time I stopped playing here, and in game the only time insults start flying are when people do stupid shite.

Good example, from just a few days ago, the 4th or the 5th of this week actually, I was in the new USS Arizona, on the Trident map. Me and a Destroyer spawned on the South-Eastern part of the map, just to the south-west of Capture Point C, before the match even starts, I tell the DD that we should head West, get away from point C.

He steams RIGHT towards C, I'm telling him to get the hell out of there, and oh look, 3-5 ships of the ships from the opposing team steam right into and around C. He dies, starts bitching at the team, I say I f***ing told you so as I'm sailing away from C at 21.1 knots, which is a slugs pace in WoWs. So now I've got 4 people on the enemy team steaming for me like Sharks.

I'm literally screaming for help from my team, who are by now all along the middle of the 1/2 columns on the other side of the map, screaming at me for being an idiot when I've been heading that way the whole time. I switch to All chat and tell the enemy I'm pulling out of the battle, heading for the corner of the map because, even they could see my team mates were complete idiots.

In all seriousness, I was the only intelligent person in that game, and quite frankly it seems like that a lot, and that results in a lot of lost games when people don't follow logical, even tactical suggestions. But when they do work, holy crap my team literally walks all over the other team.

Now here's the kicker, MWO has VOIP, which is essential for coordination and quick updates or suggestions. WoWs does not have VOIP, and text is impossible to use in that game when you're in the middle of a hairball. Supposedly WG says that VOIP would stress the servers unnecessarily... I don't know about you but I call BS on that.

PGI have what, 3 servers that run the game, with VOIP, and you don't really notice an appreciable drop in performance. WG have at least 4 servers that they use, and if you watch their videos, they recently did one specifically about the servers they use, and these things are freaking top of the line stuff. So you're telling me these servers can't run the game with VOIP?

And then, have you taken a look at the WoWs forums? I kid you not it's like freaking Candyland there compared to here. I have not seen a single troll thread in any of the main/sub forums, I've seen plenty of complaints, but they are articulate, well thought out and logical, and *gasp*, generate actual discussion of the issue, even, *double gasp*, conversations with the devs and/or the community manager themselves!

When was the last time there was an articulate, well thought out, logically handled complaint on this forum and the sub forums? That actually got the attention of the devs? I'm guessing not for about 3 years or even more now.

#52 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

When I look at threads like this, I know nothing good is to come of it.

Posted Image

But I feel there's some things I can say, without trying to get too involved within this.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 07 July 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

It is the job of CMs to keep in touch with the community - a CM should be the handler between dev and community.

But this very simple principle is already broken. So who is to blame - I don't think the CMs - because they can only do what they are ordered to do.
So maybe is dropping every Friday with a minor part of the community the job of the CMs? I don't think so.

A very actual issue: the twitter feed where Russ asks about the LT.
Seriously this simple fact shows what is completely broken to a horrendous level.
  • The reason for asking?
    • just to be chatty? - Bad reason
    • he really don't know? - Failing of the CM
  • So in case he didn't know
    • why did the CM didn't deliver the message
    • why did the CM didn't deliver the ideas to solve the issue
  • Reason the CM didn't deliver
    • he didn't get paid for reading the forums
    • he didn't get paid for presenting ideas
    • he didn't get paid for actual communication
Another failing of the role of the CM in PGIs company plan - when did you see the last time a CM merging or moderating a topic?

You have volunteer Moderators that do this job and they also focusing and influence the opinion of the community.
So the better CMs in PGIs own game forums are those guys that didn't get paid.

This should show you how important the community is - so we can be as toxic and salty we like - the only thing that will change is the mental state of the in volunteer CMs (aka Mods)

It is indeed the CMs job to do everything you have said.

What you don't know is that the CM is told what and what not to do, and so on and so forth, and that may even mean not taking involvement with the community as much as you would like then to.

Hell, I bet you they have a third of their team trying to run this tournament, and I have money on Tina is in there involved with so, which may explain the absence of her these last few weeks. (because I haven't paid attention and I dunno much about the tourney other than a few wispers here and there)

As for us, we do so because we usually have the time the CM doesn't have, that's why we're here. Sure, we may focus and influence the community here, for better or worse, but we try not to usually.

Probably the most vocal of us are me, Andi, Odanan, and Catalina. Note that we all influence alot in different topics or ideals, Odanan is a mech art, mech loadout and overall discusses mechs, Catalina Is a strategic LRM and mech loadout builder, I'm a mix in general discussion and Andi is the theorist of new and better mechanics.

However, to be toxic and salty is no good, you saw me from experience. it just made me sour, and it made me butt heads with BLeeat. but that turned out well, regardless of what some think. We talked and straightened it out.

I may be probably the only one here that cares around here about us, you, and them, and I may do stuff like move threads where people complain that "no one will ever see" and that I "censor" their opinion, but I do this at times because it's not doing any good.

Per example, I think we all remember awhile back about a certain FRR user who talked something about a flag.... which is all I'm going to say.

Least that's what I feel at this time.

#53 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:39 PM

I'm left wondering who's killing it

Us
Them
The CM
Blood crazed Unicorn hunters ?

#54 Isolani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

I don't even get why people continue to bash games long after they stopped playing them. When I'm done with a game, for whatever reason, I just move on to another game. I can see making a post of two like "I have had enough of this game because X, Y, and Z", but trolling various forums to bash a game years after you quit playing seems a little crazy to me.

Regarding the OP, losing half your Steam players after the first month or two is nothing. It happens to most games when they launch, unless they are very successful.

Marvel Heroes F2P lost 55% of it's Steam players after the first launch month. They actually made a nice effort and improved the game a lot over the next year or two and got quite a lot of players to come back over time by expanding and improving the game.

That game reminds me of MWO a lot. For a while, they were releasing a new hero every month, but no content, so the game was just stagnant and repetitive...this is pretty much where MWO is now. Gazillion was smart with Marvel Heroes and added new game modes, new loot, raids, etc and gave players a reason to come back and give it another chance. The avg player numbers in MH is better now than it was during it's first launch year. This is what MWO needs to do, but I don't think they know how.

XCOM2 was buy to play and lost 75.9% of it's Steam players after the first month, and last I heard, that game had sold close to a million copies, not exactly a failure.

Usually there is a big advertisement on Steam when a new game launches, lots of people try it, it isn't their cup of tea, and they move on to some other game. Very few games can keep or improve their player base after launch.

#55 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 July 2016 - 06:18 PM, said:

You'd be wrong
Community is far from Toxic, and the problem is PGI

Their direction, features and occasionally poor announcements make for bad feelings.
What makes you dislike the game more? A Cryhard calling you a Terribad, or the CEO telling you your opinion doesn't matter?

CEO telling me my opinion doesn't matter.

That kind of arrogance will kill your product/service.

#56 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

View PostIsolani, on 08 July 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

I don't even get why people continue to bash games long after they stopped playing them. When I'm done with a game, for whatever reason, I just move on to another game. I can see making a post of two like "I have had enough of this game because X, Y, and Z", but trolling various forums to bash a game years after you quit playing seems a little crazy to me.

Generally, because the developers treated them so badly that not only did the player stop playing, but decided to return the favor. Bittervets didn't all spring up at once, generally they grow from having had enough promises broken and insults delivered over the years, eventually getting banned, and new ones grow in their place as the cycle continues.

One could say Russ and Paul are the most bitter vets of all, but they obviously can't leave.

#57 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostCathy, on 08 July 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

I'm left wondering who's killing it

Us
Them
The CM
Blood crazed Unicorn hunters ?

What's weird to me is the idea that the community that purchases, plays, and creates information about a product can be blamed for killing the product.

It's weird for me in the sense that the community provides funds for a product, and doesn't have any obligations to, with only the punishment of the product dying and the community finding another product.

The product on the other hand relies on the community for its funding, and doesn't have any obligations to, with only the punishment of itself dying.

I think the shortcomings of MWO come down to their PR's absolute failure at any positive public relations, features that were implemented poorly or never implemented, a lack of understanding about the current "meta" of the game, and failure to properly balance things within a reasonable timespan.

It also doesn't help that the devs in response to their community has been quite negative "...you all should be grateful the game even exists, we know what we're doing, you don't...". Which is quite ironic considering that there wouldn't be a ******* game without players, without people purchasing these ****** mech packs, and without the original founders who have a right to voice their opinion, and from what I've read and personally experienced going with MWO, a right to be pretty pissed.

And the worst part is even the people that are just venting ineligible, stupid, bait have some merit because so far PGI has handled MWO AWFULLY. The most recent iteration that may finally get balanced: The long tom, which is a symptom of itself being that the devs don't understand MWO, and faction warfare being supersaturated with pug scouting missions, because FW just doesn't work in it's current iteration.

And this has gone on for years.

So the fault is solidly on the devs.

Edited by ComradeHavoc, 08 July 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#58 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostRagingOyster, on 07 July 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

So, I've had a few people in game the past few days saying that the "game's dead lol" and similar stuff. I thought I'd give the community my $0.02 on why I think the playerbase has shrunk and why the game is most definitely not dead, despite what spiteful people may say.

So if we take a look at Steam charts we can see that, since release on Steam in December 2015 the average number of players has fallen by over 50%, from over 4,000 in December to sitting at right around 1000 this past month (July 2016). Using third-party trackers we can find that there are a significant number of people who own the game (something like 30,000,depending on what service you use to look at the numbers). So the question becomes, why has the number of people actually playing been more than halved over the past few months?

In my humble opinion, the problem isn't PGI, or balance or whatever else the people on the forums will say. IMO the issue is those very same people. If you are playing a game for the first time, and every match you play has at least 1 or 2 people spamming allchat with how bad PGI is, how broken the game is, how ****** the design team's decisions are etc etc, will that be a game you want to play? Similarly, if you're in your trial mech trying to get the hang of combat and the flow of the game and you're bombarded with "You suck" "Trash" "Noob" "Learn the ******* maps" etc etc, is that a game you'd want to keep going with? The answer to both questions is of course, no. The playerbase has shrunk back down to what it was in beta days because I imagine literally 0 new players stay anymore.

I believe that the game would be thriving were it not for the incredible, LoL-level number of toxic members of the community that seem to have no desire in life other than to rant and scream endlessly about the flaws of a game that they inexplicably continue to play. Is PGI perfect? No, obviously. Are they a good dev team? Yes. It's not like we're dealing with EA games "lol you have to buy ammo refills for $2 apiece real money" or something.

tl;dr MWO is not dead, but new players aren't staying because toxic community drives them off. Stop being a **** and the game would be better.

Edit: Looking back, I'd definitely have to agree that in-game most people are great (save the guy that rushes in and blames his death on his "bad team") and it's more the forums where you find the toxicity

Less than beta... concurrent is nowhere near the closed/open beta figures

#59 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

View Postwanderer, on 07 July 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

I'll point straight at the PSR/Tier system that injects newbies into the shark tank far, far before they actually belong in the same games as experienced players, and frequently leaves the unskilled and incompetent getting dropped in right next to those who are anything but.

And they naturally hose the game, underperform, and frustrate people. A system that fails to segregate bad players from good players poisons the entire system, becoming a bad experience for new players and an anger-generating one for experienced ones as again and again, they find out the matchmaker has populated their team with potato pilots whose rapid deaths quickly swing a game into a disaster.

That's because they enjoy the game but hate the system that sticks them with players that have no logical reason to be anywhere near the same team as they are. I know that feeling- games where I end up with multiple solo kills and KMDDs and suddenly, I realize it's 3-9 as my entire team has folded in two and I've just outdamaged two lances of people all by my lonesome, the game ends 3-12 and half the team doesn't so much as have a single assist.

A T2 player should not be in the same game as people who literally do not understand the basic functions of the game, but I see it happen at a disturbing rate...and at T2, I'm in the T1-T3 matchpool.

My Star of the Special Snowflakes award yesterday went to the team-mate with dual ER PPCs and a Gauss rifle on his Marauder.

He never fired the Gauss once in the entire game and complained about how it never fired when he hit the alpha strike button, dying to his own utterly un-used 15-ton bomb when someone breached the torso and it blew him to Kingdom Come.

His team-mate in the LRM-and-AC Jagermech who tried to brawl at point blank with his AC/2-LRM5 combo in a hail of random damage and bouncy duds was a close second, but at least he could fire all his weapons.

And these are T3+ players, folks. At the least, to PGI that's players that are experienced and logically "average" players of the game. They're lucky more decent players don't just spontaneously combust in frustration for being saddled with this kind of inexperience.

tl;dr PGI's matchmaking system drops poor players deliberately into the experienced player pool because being bad at lots of games = experienced in the Paul Rankings, causing massive salt generation.

Heed these words of wisdom... carry harder.

#60 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 08 July 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

CEO telling me my opinion doesn't matter.

That kind of arrogance will kill your product/service.

Havent been following the train wreck as close as i should have... where did he say that?

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users