13 replies to this topic

#1 MW Blizzard

Rookie

• The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWisco

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Seen the MFB topic covered already so not trying to beat a dead mech here.... but usually seen it discussed like the MW3 style where it is an asset

What if the MFB is a purchased vehicle/ mech (probably stick it in the light class 35ton or less)?

So making it more of a strategic pick, first off since you don't have to shoot it would be a good fit for the lightly used command role. Most pilots shoot first then call the game second..

For the armor repair and ammo replenish role, it's not a bottomless pit so before the match you have to decide how many tons of srm/lrms, AC ammo, AMS ammo to bring along.

When in game, somebody needs to refit you would get to choose how much ammo and armor you give out to them (good communication here), like you wouldn't want to give up 6 tons of lrm ammo at the back half of a match to one mech but maybe split it up. Some strategy needed here also.

and just put some machine gun clusters or small lasers on for defensive duty against lights close range, and ams. stuff that would be equivalent to light vehicle loadouts or ground troops manning a Mobile Field Base

And they'd have to limit how many MFB's can go into a game at one time, wouldn't want to see a 12 v 12 MFB match!

#2 Squirg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 307 posts
  • LocationEromanga

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

View PostMW Blizzard, on 08 July 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

And they'd have to limit how many MFB's can go into a game at one time, wouldn't want to see a 12 v 12 MFB match!

Oh how wrong you are my friend.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:41 AM

I think this would be problematic. It would be annoying if the MFB guy was a derpmonkey.

I think they should replace the MFB with some kind of drone or hovertank that follows players around, effectively making it like "Capture the flag", "Hostage rescue" or... "Hutt ball".

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:50 AM

I don't know if a MFB could really be implemented into a multiplayer game (much less a piloted one) given the current TTK.

#5 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:53 AM

I read MBF as my face book oops

#6 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:26 AM

I don't see much need for it in quick play but possibly a deployed (npc) unit for faction play.

I have had more than few FP matches where I had a mech spent of ammo but far from destroyed. Enough times to now shy away from ammo dependency and go full laser vomit on most FP builds.

Having a means to replenish ammo may open up more variety in builds.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:28 AM

id just make it a npc. but seriously id love to see other things that move added to the game. the maps feel so dead in most cases.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 July 2016 - 02:28 AM.

#8 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 July 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

id just make it a npc. but seriously id love to see other things that move added to the game. the maps feel so dead in most cases.

Oh so true. A living battlefield (even if it's just some animated objects) would add much to the game. On the other hand it could effectivly kill the game for people (like me) with old computers.

#9 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostMW Blizzard, on 08 July 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Seen the MFB topic covered already so not trying to beat a dead mech here.... but usually seen it discussed like the MW3 style where it is an asset

What if the MFB is a purchased vehicle/ mech (probably stick it in the light class 35ton or less)?

So making it more of a strategic pick, first off since you don't have to shoot it would be a good fit for the lightly used command role. Most pilots shoot first then call the game second..

For the armor repair and ammo replenish role, it's not a bottomless pit so before the match you have to decide how many tons of srm/lrms, AC ammo, AMS ammo to bring along.

When in game, somebody needs to refit you would get to choose how much ammo and armor you give out to them (good communication here), like you wouldn't want to give up 6 tons of lrm ammo at the back half of a match to one mech but maybe split it up. Some strategy needed here also.

and just put some machine gun clusters or small lasers on for defensive duty against lights close range, and ams. stuff that would be equivalent to light vehicle loadouts or ground troops manning a Mobile Field Base

I wonder if some people would hold the ammo/armor hostage against certain players they didn't like or just felt like trolling them if they could decide the amount given out.

#10 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

Id love to see it in the game too, Make it something NPC controlled that you must UNPACK once you find a destination or need a repair.

It follows order or goes to a location and unpacks so you can use it...

But i would like to see minor thing come from it, maybe you can get a little ammo, fix a weapon or two but i dont think it should be a 100% heal mechanic. But in a long FP match being able to limp back to a MFB or mech bay that would at least let my leg work again even it if wasnt fully repaired would be grand.

I see TTK going up if used and implemented properly but im sure there are a mess of problems that would come with it too.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Thread necromancy detected.

A few problems to think about with respect to the MFB.

Whether or not it is played controlled, the area around it tends to controlled... like the super-Alpine "position". This favors the long range meta a bit, but it depends on location and map. While brawling normally is the counter to long range builds in general (usually long range mechs have sustainable heat issues... outside of dual Gauss builds from a Jagermech or Night Gyr), any time no aggression is made, the MFB becomes a lot more useful/powerful.

This only increases the effect of good players over bad play.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 March 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Thread necromancy detected.

A few problems to think about with respect to the MFB.

Whether or not it is played controlled, the area around it tends to controlled... like the super-Alpine "position". This favors the long range meta a bit, but it depends on location and map. While brawling normally is the counter to long range builds in general (usually long range mechs have sustainable heat issues... outside of dual Gauss builds from a Jagermech or Night Gyr), any time no aggression is made, the MFB becomes a lot more useful/powerful.

In Mechwarrior 3, you could only deploy your MFB's at specific Navpoints. Thus, the counter to this fear is to make sure that the Navpoints aren't placed too close to the best positions on a map.

The logic can be that the MFB needs a fairly decent amount of flat open space, and some terrain is too difficult for it to cross.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 March 2017 - 05:16 PM, said:

In Mechwarrior 3, you could only deploy your MFB's at specific Navpoints. Thus, the counter to this fear is to make sure that the Navpoints aren't placed too close to the best positions on a map.

The logic can be that the MFB needs a fairly decent amount of flat open space, and some terrain is too difficult for it to cross.

I'm aware of this, but let's be honest... it's going to cause a lot of assorted issues based on skill.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

MFB pilot when they're the last one against a legged Dire Wolf:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users