Score & Damage As It Relates To Play-Time

2 replies to this topic

#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

I've seen a lot of threads lately complaining about the quality of players recently.

I've also seen a lot of threads lately complaining about the the game and people not playing much any more. I'm definitely in that category, as I only drop a couple of times a week now when my buddies gather, and I show up late (I live in PST, they EST) so I rarely play more than 5-10 matches in a week.

Then today I had a flash of intuition, an inspired firing of disused neurons, that led to a leap forward in thinking. MAYBE these two things are related!

For the record, I'm decidedly AVERAGE at this game. My KDR and all those other stats are nothing to crow about, but they aren't super embarrassing either. They just are "OK".

When I was playing regularly, and by that I mean a minimum of 30-50 or more matches a week, usually 4-5 days a week I'd get some drops in after work and play more on weekends, I would typically think that I did a decent job in a match if I got 400-600 damage and 1 kill or two in a match.

Now, since I'm rarely playing my result are significantly lower. Even in a heavy I often struggle to get even 300 in a match. Horrible scores have become more common. Now some of that is the fact I often drop in a light because my buddies hog all the tonnage, my role changes and I become a suicidal light. As well, since I'm not playing as often I tend to be much more strategically "lazy" when playing and just plain do stupid stuff.

But still, it's obvious just thinking about it that your skills deteriorate with lack of practice.
That's true with anything.

So.......with all the people sounding off about the game-play getting stale, repetitive and boring, could it be that many of those crappy players people are complaining about are "us"?

Is it a bunch of players, all of them "rusty" as heck, not just true "potatoes"?

Edited by TLBFestus, 11 July 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#2 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

At some point there's a line between playing for fun and playing to win. When these two groups are forced into the same buckets together, someone is going to have a bad time. The person playing for fun will feel like they got stomped and the person playing to win will feel like they're beting setup to fail.

A weekend where PSR is locked so there is no games split across teirs would be good to see if the population can handle it, and how long the waits would be. If those games are better overall and if its worth it for any extended waits that occur.

#3 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

View PostAlphaToaster, on 11 July 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

A weekend where PSR is locked so there is no games split across teirs would be good to see if the population can handle it, and how long the waits would be. If those games are better overall and if its worth it for any extended waits that occur.

The right time to do so was when we had steam players 1 month into the game. Now. Well I don't think we have the numbers.

View PostTLBFestus, on 11 July 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

When I was playing regularly, and by that I mean a minimum of 30-50 or more matches a week, usually 4-5 days a week I'd get some drops in after work and play more on weekends, I would typically think that I did a decent job in a match if I got 400-600 damage and 1 kill or two in a match.

Now, since I'm rarely playing my result are significantly lower. Even in a heavy I often struggle to get even 300 in a match. Horrible scores have become more common. Now some of that is the fact I often drop in a light because my buddies hog all the tonnage, my role changes and I become a suicidal light. As well, since I'm not playing as often I tend to be much more strategically "lazy" when playing and just plain do stupid stuff.

Is it a bunch of players, all of them "rusty" as heck, not just true "potatoes"?

Yes the bunch of players are rusty as hack, however you can compensate that with strategical thinking, what isn't remotly conected with skill of aiming, maybe driving the mech. So i would rather think many get lazy, and since others around them do so to the skill creaps slow and steady down the road. On the other hand since release of the game we "old" bricks are 4 years older - and all who started once upon time are by nature less reactive over all. - This also may let me think it is a causation too.

And for your "struggles" in the light. Heck better they have the good ones, than you. If you are fine with beeing the bait, all works out teamrole wise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users