Enough Mechs, More Guns Please...

48 replies to this topic

#21 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

The problem is that most new weapons that would be easy to add come at points in the timeline where PGIs incapacity to make other weapons that aren't knockoffs of existing ones/inability to make existing weapon types work becomes even more glaring.

Giving the IS the full ER laser/UAC lines would also mean Clan players facepalming at the lack of AT missile systems, for example. And we're already missing just about every indirect-fire weapon save LRMs at this point. No Arrow IV. No arty cannons. No mortars.

We're missing most ammo types. No inferno SRMs. No swarm/Thunder LRMs. Jump forward a bit, and we're missing most AC ammo types as well. The reason we're not jumping forward is how obvious the holes in the game become when we do.

#22 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Agree with OP, we need more weapons. Bring on Heavy Medium Lasers, and X-Pulse.

#23 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 09 July 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

I would like to see unique name brand weapon variants from lore that have unique characteristics but require a rearm/ repair maintenance cost per match or they revert back to normal stats.

I actually remember when there were repair and rearm cost, if anyone ever used his own mech it was laserboat cause no ammo costs... but ppl in general played free rotation because **** repairs...

I would like different weapons manufacturers with their quirks, actual quirks not simple buffs, but in the end it will end with powercreep when ppl will find out best available "sidegrade" variant.

Edited by davoodoo, 09 July 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#24 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

Enough mechs. More cowbell please.

#25 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 09 July 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

New weapons will only be available with the new slightly more expensive mechs and will be released for the crowd, when they are available for c-bills.

Would be damn funny. Posted Image

That's not funny, it's PROPHETIC.

#26 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 09 July 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

Let's not stop at just more guns & melee weapons, we need more defensive technology!

That's a good idea actually. Laser reflective armor, Hardened armor, and Reactive armor give some "rock-paper-scissor" type mechanics to mech building. They work better against certain types of damage, at the cost of using more slots on the mech.

Then there's things like the "Blue-Shield" experimental PPC blocking field that reduces PPC damage by 50% (I know... fix ppc's first). The Null-Sig system (which is functionally what ECM does currently.........). And of course, don't forget the Laser-AMS.

If the three armor types were usable in game, you could equip the armor type that works best against the most common meta builds (probably reactive vs ballistic currently lol). It would keep things shifting and make it so if one build becomes overpowered, people will have some recourse against it. Or, if you know a certain group has a tendency to use mostly one weapon type, you could armor yourself against them.

#27 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

Current weapon balance first, new weapons second

If the AC2, SL or MG weren't useless, it's essentially new guns

#28 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Hardened armor is already timeline appropriate.

There's a lot missing already. PGI should fill in the holes.

#29 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:31 AM

Mechs bring in a constant and tangible amount of money every month, guns do not.

I'm with you when it comes to wanting some new weapon systems to play with, but mechs will never stop coming.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 11 July 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#30 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

We really really need new weapons or something to update the gameplay. For me the gameplay has been getting stale but I think a few new weapons could fix that. They would have to be pretty different though. Like IS UACs and ER lasers wouldn't be enough. Add those of course, but also add some heavy lasers, heavy gauss, light gauss, hag, lighter ac weapons, mrms, etc, etc.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 11 July 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Mechs bring in a constant and tangible amount of money every month, guns do not.

I'm with you when it comes to wanting some new weapon systems to play with, but mechs will never stop coming.

Mechs should definitely keep coming. And that would be a great way to bring in some new weapons. Have some new weapons on a new mech and when that new mech launches, the new weapons will too.

#31 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

View Postdario03, on 11 July 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Mechs should definitely keep coming. And that would be a great way to bring in some new weapons. Have some new weapons on a new mech and when that new mech launches, the new weapons will too.

Yeah, I guess this is how PGI will do it (next year).

Because IS desperately needs new weapons and there have been a string of Clan 'Mechs announced, I guess they will announce a new IS 'Mech with one or two new weapons (which the said 'Mech equips). Fafnir and Heavy Gauss anyone? That means a jump to 3060+. An earlier 'Mech perhaps? What could it be?

#32 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

They could give us the best of both giving us more mechs and a new weapon. Give us the Zeus 6Y.
That variant has a Binary laser. Make it a hero mech if they want since it's really rare. That way they make money and they give us a new weapon to play with.

As for the weaknesses of the Binary Laser. They can handle it in maaaany different ways. Options below.

A - Make it a continous fire laser that is very hot per point of damage done but it can only be fired for so many seconds before it must cool down regardless of how cool/hot your mech is.
If you go for full firing duration it requires even longer cooldown. Cannot fire in tiny burst rapidly since even if you only fire it for 0.5 secs it has a cooldown even then.

B - Make it fire in extremely short burn times. Easy to focus the damage in comparison to other lasers....but it's hot and heavy.

C - Make it capable of transfering a small amount of heat to the target if you keep the laser on for the full burn duration.

D - Limited armor piercing ability. It can crit internal components such as heatsinks, ammo, weapons through armor. But if the armor is above a certain treshold the target mech is immune. For example 15 armor points and above gives immunity to this ability.
Engines, Gyro and other critical components are immune no matter what. The thinner the armor is the better the chance to crit through it.

To prevent it from becoming too powerfull there could be a charge mechanic and/or we can never fire more than 1 binary laser at the same time.

#33 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 10 July 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Current weapon balance first, new weapons second

If the AC2, SL or MG weren't useless, it's essentially new guns

While it'd be great for them to be useful that's not a reason not to add new weapons. Weapon balance will be a thing for the entire life of MWO, like any other game with PvP.

#34 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 750 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

Here comes the rain on your parade; Paul posted in one of the recent streams's chat that they do NOT have new weapons planned.

#35 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

soo for the next 2 years the same old borring gameplay wont change... same old LL,LPL,GAUSS,UAC5/10 meta

im bored

#36 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:38 PM

It's asinine for PGI to not even consider new weapons. It wouldn't be that hard to impement. The game desperately needs more variety than mechs for its health and longevity.

#37 ComradeHavoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 09 July 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

I'm sure they will bring us new tech (including weapons) in 2017.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AH AH A HAHHAHAHAHH AHHAH AH AHAAH HAHHAHAHHHHAHA HAH HAAHAH AH HAHAHAH AHAHHHAHA AHAHHAHAH HAHHAHH AH A H HAAH AAH A HH AHA HA HA HHAH AH AAH H AHA AHHAA HH A AHAH

Posted Image

#38 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

I do believe that new weapons will make people buy more 'Mechs (packs) because they open up new builds. It also a way to "freshen up" the game.

#39 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 11 July 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

I do believe that new weapons will make people buy more 'Mechs (packs) because they open up new builds. It also a way to "freshen up" the game.

And if we had more defensive tech options that'd really make things diverse & interesting.

#40 Vorian Atreides

Rookie

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

Can confirm; I asked Paul in the Night Gyr cockpit modeling stream, and he said that there were no *current* plans for additional weapons. His exact response was "Not on the board at the moment" and "We will not be bringing in new weapon tech any time soon. To say never would be false.. when .. undetermined."

https://www.twitch.t...ames/v/76792201

At the 49:33 minute mark, Paul pops into chat, and I ask at the 50 minute mark.

He also went on to say "Put it to you this way.. I've always said that the Blood Asp has been my fav Mech ;)", which could imply that he'll be pushing to add LB 20-X ACs, HAGs, and the other weapons implied on the variants of the Blood Asp in the future. However, that's pure speculation at this point, so take it with a mountain of salt.

Edited by Vorian Atreides, 11 July 2016 - 08:34 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users