Phantom Damage - Now In Glorious Youtube Potato Quality

28 replies to this topic

#21 ALEXANDER CARLYLE

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

That's nothing. I watched a Locust with one ERLL shoot through the ground, over and over and over while avoiding being hit!. Its an exploit that PGI has not fixed. Time to nerf them (Locusts) or fix the underground shooting.

#22 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Excuse me mates.... but it is red reticle = hit? Right?!?

#23 -=Heloc=-

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

A lot of the time when you see a visual result that differs from the game's recorded events, it's because of host-state-rewind. You're seeing what happens when an errant packet gets lost and/or a little lag spike happens or a hundred other things. The graphics are a proxy for what's happening in the game engine, not the reality of it. And we never really see what the inner workings are like. Was there damage to the rear because of a bug or because of some esoteric representation of reality baked into the damage model? We don't really know.

Same thing for the percentage of damage. There is probably some simple math on the back end that spits out a number but that number represents a much more nuanced and qualitative thing. It represents the portion of the 'mechs "effectiveness" with the sustained damage as compared to it's pristine state. But "combat effectiveness" is difficult to measure and harder to quantify. Two 'mechs still at 50% could have WILDLY different impacts to the team depending on a variety of factors. It's not really something that can be reduced down to a simple percentage but it's more helpful to have an imperfect number than to have nothing at all. So, like most statistical measures, it's a helpful number but it's far from anything like an actual representation of reality.

#24 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:38 AM

Just something that on its own would help out a lot though in my opinion would be some more detailed hit feedback, especially in the in-engine replay, but optionally for live play as well. I mean we have a lot of open space along the right border which could update with last damage registries from the server.

For example, you could add a box on top of the weapons box with much smaller low-contrast text where for example you just have stuff like

LL (RA) - Last: 5.6; LA: 0.6, LT: 1, CT: 4 - Total: 35.2

This can help in tracking weapon performance on loadouts and to get some server-side feedback on your damage output. In fact, this could also help PGI in figuring out when and how inconsistencies with hitreg would occur and get some more solid leads.

#25 MadC4t

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:30 AM

Looks like PGI is not interested into this Posted Image Posted Image

But i have often the same phenomenon in CW/FW. Sometimes with Dual Gauss, but most times with my TDR 5SS 7Med Pulse.
Accept the fact to deal with it.

#26 Veev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWhere ever I am

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

Visually I saw the hits from at least one gauss, 15 points of damage.
But there is a major reason this game cannot be taken seriously. PGI cannot do it right. They have always had hit detection issues and host state rewind has always been a very bad joke. Convergence never worked quite right, which raises a question of why they even try to any extent.
Skill tree was never flushed out as it was promised and now PGI is trying to give us ghost heat how it should have been in the first place and they are trying to find a way to screw it up, I have faith in them.
I came back to take a peak at it and regret doing so.

#27 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

Read

Gamasutra
Why Making Multiplayer Games is Hard: Lag Compensating Weapons in MechWarrior Online

Edited by Tamerlin, 06 September 2016 - 09:32 PM.

#28 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:19 AM

They obviously do it well enough where you guys keep playing. I have lag spike issues particularly where people jump around sometimes but I deal with it. Try to be more appreciative.

#29 TheMundaneYesYes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

I get incidents like this a lot when using PPCs and IS auto cannons. I have lost count how many times my PPCs and ac20 rounds would seemingly phase through a target or fail to register damage on it completely, but that is HSR and your net connection to blame for it, most games have their own problems like that as Krivvan has said. It happens to everyone with every weapon.

Hell I have had incidents with my SRM brawler HBKs and HBKIIs where I would fire volley after volley into a enemy and it would not read at all, then I would run away while telling someone else to take over killing him. I blame my ****** net for those incidents though.

Hope it this post goes through this time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users