#21 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 13 July 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

But EVERY* map seems to get one of these "large open areas in the middle where people poke at each other" and I'd like an urban map without one. Maybe on the fringes, but definitely nowhere near the middle.

*River City and Frozen City 2.0 especially. We need an Urban Map without this feature. Every other map still has a central feature (only it's a barrier instead of a gap) and I WANT UNIFORMITY!!!!

Do what MW4 does. Have some multi lane roads making a semi wide opening between groups of buildings, have some open areas BUT closed off as well by walls and stuff, Have some areas barricaded (say fallen building? MW4 did it by tank traps, equally likely). Have a park but NOT at the centre, have it like as far out into a corner as possible.

some screenshots...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There are some semi open areas, But mostly long paths down 1 or 2 ways, surrounded by thick urban enviroment with lots of tight roads and such seeping between the main lanes. These roads are only useful to shoot down, Not really an open brawl invitation.

1 thing I think PGI needs to achieve this is to keep t he terrain flat, A problem in Crimson strait, HPG, River city, etc is that the terrain is uneven.

#22 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostTKSax, on 13 July 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

We don't nee more maps, we need new/better gamemodes.

New game modes do not matter that much as long as every incentive in the game pushes you towards playing it like Skirmish.
If they add new modes then they need to reward the players for completing the objectives. Maybe even to the point that you can leave some of the other team alive, complete the objectives and still profit hugely.

I want to see an asymmetrical Assault mode with a Union DropShip on one side and a base on the other. The DropShip could defend itself and the base would also have defenses. Located somewhere on the map would be objectives that could be taken for bonuses. The attackers would attempt to neutralize or capture the base. The defenders would attempt to destroy or capture the DropShip. In both cases Capture would pay better than destroy through salvage bonuses. Destroying one or the other should be slightly easier but have less of a pay out as a winning condition.

I would like to see a huge desert map with rolling sand dunes and deep interconnecting valleys between the dunes.

#23 THumper9669

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

What PGI needs to do is focus on the new map issue as well as some new game play to go with it other then just the four game play modes currently. IF PGI would take some ideals from the players as to types of maps and game play instead of just the new champion/hero mechs for profit, then we might have a better game.

I my self would love to see a map that is dealing with a mining complex (no not like the mining collective and just its buildings) that actually has the mine shafts. Now consider that not all mechs could fit down all tunnels but all tunnels would be mech usable. Tunnels for most part would be dimly lit or not lit at all. Who isnt to say that you could throw in objectives as command post in one of the tunnels that could be destroyed along with the antenna and a power station which could be done up top out of the tunnels or the PS with in a tunnel as well. Throw in some vert mine shafts as well for jump capable mechs.

Another item brought up by another player was to have maps where mechs with hands could build some thing as part of the objective ( Make it a time based item ) would be good for say a 4 man match maybe to add to FP as building beacons for landing or repairing turrets on a hold in FP.

A good city map for FP play would be a great ideal as well as not all outpost are in the middle of no where. That doesnt mean make river city the new map for FP but have some parks in there as well as the high rise buildings. Can throw in a few garages underground or other items that allow for sneak attacks.

#24 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

Excellent idea, they should dilute the map cost into the mech development, which is what brings immediate revenues.

Making the map somehow in theme with the new mech would be nice too.

Edited by EvilCow, 13 July 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#25 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 July 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

I also want to see maps covered in like hard fractal crystals everywhere and gravity so hard that even the better jumpjetting mechs can barely get over those and nothing much....

uh, I remember seeing a image similar to this and I tried to google for it but instead I just ran into the MW: O map art director guy thingy and I am impressed... let me share the images of maps that are not in MW: O yet... at least to my knowledge.

Spoiler

How did we get what pathetic excuse for these beautiful concept arts?!?
Once they do a redo of terra therma I want them to look like this. I really love the looks of those open places too!

Reason I posted most of these as these are most likely the soon-to-be maps PGI is making after the redo's.

His Viridian bog post was uploaded a bit before MW: O's release from memory as well as the fact that Solaris VII is a thing happening soon and his latest work- 2016, was just that, Solaris VII in the stiener arena.

That asteroid belt/ring is awesome! These are new, not old concept arts you say? B/c the first volcano shot DOES look like the existing Terra Therma...

View PostNightshade24, on 13 July 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

Do what MW4 does. Have some multi lane roads making a semi wide opening between groups of buildings, have some open areas BUT closed off as well by walls and stuff, Have some areas barricaded (say fallen building? MW4 did it by tank traps, equally likely). Have a park but NOT at the centre, have it like as far out into a corner as possible.

some screenshots...
Spoiler

There are some semi open areas, But mostly long paths down 1 or 2 ways, surrounded by thick urban enviroment with lots of tight roads and such seeping between the main lanes. These roads are only useful to shoot down, Not really an open brawl invitation.

1 thing I think PGI needs to achieve this is to keep t he terrain flat, A problem in Crimson strait, HPG, River city, etc is that the terrain is uneven.

Me likey.

Definitely put the park to the side. Or a beach or smtg--I'm thinking of the Citadel neighborhood in contemporary Barcelona.

Use Sant Antoni Maria Claret as Left edge, the beach as the right, Passeig de Sant Joan as bottom edge, Rambla do Prim as the top. Couple large avenues--Diagonal and Meridiana crisscrossing, plus Cortes Catalanes running right down the middle. Some small block-sized parks, but most streets two lanes and not much more.

Except for the skyscrapers near the Port Olimpic, and a few buildings elsewhere, all others are 6 stories, effectivley creating the two-level feel that Canyon Network has.

That still puts the Placa de las Glories Catalanes dead center, but the plaza is not that big and I'd imagine in-game it would be approximately equivalent to Theta hill in Canyon Network.

...sh!t, I really like this idea. Call it "The Old City" and just appropriate contemporary Barcelona wholesale. Then maybe throw some background futuristic skyscrapers in the background a la Crimson. We can say the downtown stayed in its "archaic" form while the suburbs modernized throughout the centuries.

#26 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostRampage, on 13 July 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

New game modes do not matter that much as long as every incentive in the game pushes you towards playing it like Skirmish.
If they add new modes then they need to reward the players for completing the objectives. Maybe even to the point that you can leave some of the other team alive, complete the objectives and still profit hugely.

Yea that's why I say we don't need any new maps. What are new maps going to do with the existing games modes and they way they are designed. Do they play any differently... no it will be the same thing.

#27 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 13 July 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

That asteroid belt/ring is awesome! These are new, not old concept arts you say? B/c the first volcano shot DOES look like the existing Terra Therma...

Well, the Terra therma was an older one and it was made for terra therma. Why did the map we get turn out the way it is? I have no idea. Maybe PGI was short on time, short on map designers, etc. I mean I sort of like what we have now but for years I've been asking for having huge open areas on terra therma with other volcano geographical elements and things like lava lakes and stuff. So seeing these concept arts doing just that really caught my fancy.

The Stiener Colosseum concept was very new, 2016, the other ones like Sheperds moon/asteroid belt and Caverns was 2015's but still relatively new.

#28 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

View PostEvilCow, on 13 July 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Excellent idea, they should dilute the map cost into the mech development, which is what brings immediate revenues.

Making the map somehow in theme with the new mech would be nice too.

ya. at this stage i dont seemyself spending money on this game.. last time i spend was on purchasing the warhammer pack and their was almost clost to a year gap with my previous purchase..and now i have spend a dime on this game.

Game modes are offcourse important but they wont bring in anything different if we still see the same maps and same tactics/ battlezones... that is why we need some variety of maps in this game before it goes towards game modes.

#29 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 July 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

Having ran out of old maps to rework, PGI is gonna have to come out with a new one. Will it be PQ map or FW map, I wonder...

I hope they take the pacing into account and that the new maps are different from the Step 1: Long range pewpew, Step 2: They busted up, fam! Close in! Also they should add anti-Nascar features. Posted Image

#30 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:06 PM

View PostElizander, on 13 July 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I hope they take the pacing into account and that the new maps are different from the Step 1: Long range pewpew, Step 2: They busted up, fam! Close in! Also they should add anti-Nascar features. Posted Image

View PostElizander, on 13 July 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

nascar is easy thats why they make it...

Why can they take ideas from maps from MW4 or LL?

#31 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 July 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

Well, the Terra therma was an older one and it was made for terra therma. Why did the map we get turn out the way it is? I have no idea. Maybe PGI was short on time, short on map designers, etc. I mean I sort of like what we have now but for years I've been asking for having huge open areas on terra therma with other volcano geographical elements and things like lava lakes and stuff. So seeing these concept arts doing just that really caught my fancy.

The Stiener Colosseum concept was very new, 2016, the other ones like Sheperds moon/asteroid belt and Caverns was 2015's but still relatively new.

What I'm saying is that the first image looks exactly like what we actually have for TT, just from one corner of the map looking towards the center.

Giant volcano in center with foyadas running out?

Smaller volcanos to the side?

Metal bridges over rivers of lava?

#32 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 14 July 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

What I'm saying is that the first image looks exactly like what we actually have for TT, just from one corner of the map looking towards the center.

Giant volcano in center with foyadas running out?

Smaller volcanos to the side?

Metal bridges over rivers of lava?

You say that while the first image depicts a very broad flat volcano on the left with a huge area of lava. As well as an opening approximately 1.5 km wide and 3 km long with a lava river between it. As well as shallow rims/ ridges on it on one side as well as ridges in other locations too. This being a Volcano you can easily get over, use as cover, etc.
Instead of 99% of the volcanos in TT which is acted more of an obstacle in the sense its' a no go zone.

#33 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

For the love God and all that is good and noble, give us a map maker!

It'll completely solve this problem for you, PGI, and will free up resources to focus on making what gets you money: mech packs.

All you have to do is vet which maps make the cut.

#34 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 July 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

and also he made terra therma look so cool...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

View PostNightshade24, on 14 July 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

You say that while the first image depicts a very broad flat volcano on the left with a huge area of lava. As well as an opening approximately 1.5 km wide and 3 km long with a lava river between it. As well as shallow rims/ ridges on it on one side as well as ridges in other locations too. This being a Volcano you can easily get over, use as cover, etc.
Instead of 99% of the volcanos in TT which is acted more of an obstacle in the sense its' a no go zone.

No man that's just perspective ******* with you. Get in your Spider and hop up onto one of the smaller peripheral volcanoes has lava in it--F7/E7 in particular, but also G2, F3, or C6. I could almost take a screenshot and overlay them 1:1. Might even when I get home.

Second pic is quite different, both stylistically and in terms of layout.

Third feels more like concept art--its more open and less centralized than TT actual, but is a good indication again of how these smaller volcanoes look up close. Stylistically very similar, layout a little more dispersed than what we got.

#35 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 14 July 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

-snip-

Perspective eh? Try me. Go ahead and take a screenshot. I doubt you'll magically conjure a second large volcano on Terra Therma randomly.

I've spent my time heavily in jumpjetting 'mechs before the second JJ nerf (the first being unable to take like 30 on a jenner... oh the fun of jenner space program) and been to every peak in terra therma besidess the one on the far north east corner. From memory there is no two conjoined volcanos on Terra therma.

#36 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 14 July 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

For the love God and all that is good and noble, give us a map maker!

It'll completely solve this problem for you, PGI, and will free up resources to focus on making what gets you money: mech packs.

All you have to do is vet which maps make the cut.

i remember suggesting something on the lines of this..

Give the tools to the community.. let the people vote for the map that they want in the game (preferably 3 maps)... hand over it to PGI who runs it on the internal test server, remove bugs etc...and then put it on the public server. this saves PGIs own resources for making maps, reduces burden and allows them to develop other things....

but unfortunately they wont do this

#37 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Quarterly new maps are the minimum we should expect to keep a game like this from getting stale.

How they get made and by whom is really no thing.

PGI should make maps. If they can't keep up, then let the community do it for them; there are plenty of people who'll do that for free, I'm sure.

#38 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:26 PM

View PostBrandarr Gunnarson, on 14 July 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

Quarterly new maps are the minimum we should expect to keep a game like this from getting stale.

How they get made and by whom is really no thing.

PGI should make maps. If they can't keep up, then let the community do it for them; there are plenty of people who'll do that for free, I'm sure.

from the looks of it i think its obvious that PGI cannot pump out maps at a higher pace (even quaterly) and no remakes aren not being counted here... so community is the option to go to but they wont do that for reasons they know better

#39 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

Maps, $250,000 to create.
Mech packs, priceless.

#40 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts